Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Default Auger Question

Does anybody have any info on this auger? Any good?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wo...-0777402p.html
Old 11-20-2017, 04:32 PM

looks the same as an eskimo which are good have for years starts good , and has never broken any pieces .
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 PM

Is this the 33 cc auger? If it is it's the same auger as the Eskimo stingray and Rapala 33cc branded auger as far as I can tell. Not sure if every detail is exactly the same or not, as in it may or may not have the same good quality blades as the Eskimo or possibly Chinese blades etc. I have the Eskimo version and it has been an excellent little auger.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamperio View Post
Does anybody have any info on this auger? Any good?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wo...-0777402p.html
Woods is a CT brand.

Try and find out who the original manufacturer of this 43cc engine is.

This may just be a blue version of another common auger.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Woods is a CT brand.

Try and find out who the original manufacturer of this 43cc engine is.

This may just be a blue version of another common auger.
Ya that's what I'm looking into. Haven't found it yet. Gonna have to go look at one in person.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Most likely a Viper 43 cc same as used by Eskimo and Rapala.

I personally would rather buy an Eskimo and know I would have great customer service if/when needed then buy a knock off and have to count on Canadian tire customer service 3 years down the road when it is discontinued...
Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Most likely a Viper 43 cc same as used by Eskimo and Rapala.

I personally would rather buy an Eskimo and know I would have great customer service if/when needed then buy a knock off and have to count on Canadian tire customer service 3 years down the road when it is discontinued...
Agreed. I've pretty much decided on a stingray but thought I'd check the woods one out.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 10:41 PM

Default RATO Engine perhaps??

There is a Chinese company that is the world leading manufacturer of small engines: RATO

This outfit builds most of the air cooled engines, 4 & 2 stroke, in the World.

The engine is so good it out performs the standards of Sear Craftsman, Toro, etc for durability.

They actually are beyond just copying the Fuji small engines from Japan, and are producing small engines that are superior in components, materials, tolerances, etc.

And if it dies after a few years, for that what price, what do you expect? Personally, the Transmission is the most important thing on an ice auger if you hope to keep it running for years.

Drewski
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 PM

Default Nitro

I've got 43 CC Rapala Nitro, bought in Canadian Tire 3 years ago for 360 dollars (sale). And used it hard ever since, this is my beast, never let me down. Drills 3 feet of ice no problem. Never sharped or changed blades yet(now is the time probably).
Very satisfied with this product!

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 AM

I have the 43cc nitro also, 2 years no issues. It’s the exact same as the Eskimo, as I think Rapala now owns Eskimo.
I’ve never had an issue with Canadian Tire warranties and when I have needed to contact Eskimo their all in the States. I’d guess they arrange service for an auger here, but I can guarantee you these are made side by side Eskimo’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I have the 43cc nitro also, 2 years no issues. It’s the exact same as the Eskimo, as I think Rapala now owns Eskimo.
I’ve never had an issue with Canadian Tire warranties and when I have needed to contact Eskimo their all in the States. I’d guess they arrange service for an auger here, but I can guarantee you these are made side by side Eskimo’s.

Rapala owns strike master not eskimo. I'd never buy another eskimo auger personally. My buddy and I both had the 10 viper with the big engine. 3 recoils 2 clutches and a set of handle bars. Not to mention how heavy they are and how slow they are compared to a strikemaster.

The strikemaster with the 4 stroke Honda is awesome and so is their electric version. I find they have a better blade design and the central chisel tip dives the auger down. No pushing necessary.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:16 PM

Default nope sorry

nope sorry
Old 11-21-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Is this the 33 cc auger? If it is it's the same auger as the Eskimo stingray and Rapala 33cc branded auger as far as I can tell. Not sure if every detail is exactly the same or not, as in it may or may not have the same good quality blades as the Eskimo or possibly Chinese blades etc. I have the Eskimo version and it has been an excellent little auger.
Sorry if it's the 43cc my phone didn't show the specs. Anyways it's still the same deal, all are the same basic thing. I don't have the 43cc but used one my buddy brought on a weekend trip when my old Jiffy 30 crapped out (just the fuel line cracked). It was so much better then the old Jiffy 30 in every way I never did fix the Jiffy and took a chance on the 33 cc I got for $250 new. Gave the Jiffy away a few weeks later and never looked back.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Rapala owns strike master not eskimo. I'd never buy another eskimo auger personally. My buddy and I both had the 10 viper with the big engine. 3 recoils 2 clutches and a set of handle bars. Not to mention how heavy they are and how slow they are compared to a strikemaster.

The strikemaster with the 4 stroke Honda is awesome and so is their electric version. I find they have a better blade design and the central chisel tip dives the auger down. No pushing necessary.

I checked and your right. Yet my Rapala auger is the same as the Eskimo. Which is odd why Rapala puts their name on an Eskimo auger. I suspect most of the brands are just nothing more than a name now a days. Even if they are separate companies they likely share the same manufacturer.

My auger cuts like a hot knife through butter, and I can one hand it easily. It’s no ‘big’ auger but it’ll do 10” holes easy.

With China producing everything we use now a days, “quality” is hit or miss like never before. You’ll see complaints and compliments for every brand and model under the sun.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 PM

Was just looking at it again and figured I would point out one very important difference.

Woods Auger: 1 year exchange warranty

Eskimo Mako: 5 year warranty

Rapala Nitro: Not sure, says special warranty and to see in store

I wouldn't touch the Woods based on warranty alone.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 PM

I also have the blue Rapala with the 43 cc Viper, bought it off a guy who didn’t ever fire it up. Came with a plastic pull type sled for 200$. Anyways I eventually bought a 10” Eskimo auger and extension from cabelas for it, and she’ll dig 30” like a champ. I’ve never had a trip yet where it took more than a few pulls to getter going. If I try to use last years gas from the tank, it hesitates but still powers through.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:59 AM

An 8 " is fine but the best thing I did was change to a 10 inch auger. 10 X happier with the 10"

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Was just looking at it again and figured I would point out one very important difference.

Woods Auger: 1 year exchange warranty

Eskimo Mako: 5 year warranty

Rapala Nitro: Not sure, says special warranty and to see in store

I wouldn't touch the Woods based on warranty alone.

I think at the price point a 5 year warranty isn’t worth the $100+ personally. A 1 year exchange is not only ideal, but long enough to know if you have a lemon. Considering this Woods IS an Eskimo, and a 5 year warranty isn’t going to cover everything for free, which is better?
Buy an Eskimo and have to call, take it somewhere or wait for shipping for 2 weeks or more. Or Buy an Eskimo with ‘Woods’ on it, save a third of its cost and if you have issues drive to a CT and swap it for a new one.
If it was an $800 auger, or something electronic then I think that warranty would factor in more. Since you could slap Eskimo parts on this if needed it’s not a huge risk IMO.
Resale is a good concern if that’s a possibility. And if you have the money grab an Eskimo. Yet if saving a decent chunk of money is favourable and your not intending to use the auger 100 times a year I wouldn’t let the brand name scare you away. Mainly because it’s a rebranded Eskimo auger. Eskimo doesn’t build their augers in Minnesota or something, and it doesn’t make sense that this rebranded auger made by the same company would use anything but the exact same parts and materials, solely because it’s economical to do so.