Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 03:50 PM

Default Fly Tyer Needed

I've been looking for Euro nymph flies and been having a hard time tracking them down here in town. The ones that do have them the variety and size selections aren't the greatest.
Any tyers have time to tie a variety of 30-40 tungsten bead perdigon and slim body styles I would be happy to pay them.
The patterns relatively easy and plain to tie. I have done research and have even thought about buying the supplies and materials to tie them myself but even then I'd have to order from 3 or 4 different stores just to get the items required, not to mention the high cost of equipment and material.
I figure it might be easier to find someone local who has most of the supplies and commission them to do it instead. If anyone is able to it do this please pm me to discuss further.

Key things I'm looking for:
- 3 tungsten bead sizes 5/32, 7/64, and 3/32
- hook sizes from 14 to 20
- jig hooks (60 degree) and tactical czech nymphing hooks (scud)

Attached are some examples of the flies I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Banned

I tied a bunch of these for my friend. He gave me some $ for materials. Turns out I had to spend twice what he gave me for materials.
While I am not interested in tying a quantity for you, I can point you to the Orvis website. They sell them there for $4 US. Pretty pricey.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:35 PM

Default Fly Tyler needed.

Talk to Kland at the south side Fishin Hole in Edmonton. He ties exactly what you want, and does an awesome job.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Talk to Kland at the south side Fishin Hole in Edmonton. He ties exactly what you want, and does an awesome job.
I second this. But last time I mentioned it nobody wanted to pay for Tungsten and competition grade hooks .

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-04-2020, 11:12 PM

That's for the suggestions guys, I will try and get in contact with Kland.
Ive heard a few people mention the high price of tungsten beads but I was able to source some from a Canadian supplier for a pretty reasonable price, 10 bead pack for between $2.25-$2.50 (troutbum.ca).
They also had all types of fly hooks for great prices too. I did some rough calculations and you should be able to tie each one for under a buck, maybe around $0.75.
Its just for someone new to get into tying it would be a big initial investment, a decent vice and tools alone will run you at least $200, another $150 for materials. I'm not sure I'd even spend $350 worth of these flies in 5 years. Lol

Old 07-04-2020, 11:15 PM

And $5.50/fly from orvis is just ridiculous for a simple, inexpensive fly to make. What did they make it out of gold? Haha

Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 AM

You seem to forget the time it takes to tie one. Even at minimum wage they would cost you about 3 bucks labour to have someone make just one fly. Thats why the vast majority of flys in stores are imported from pacific rim countries and China.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You seem to forget the time it takes to tie one. Even at minimum wage they would cost you about 3 bucks labour to have someone make just one fly. Thats why the vast majority of flys in stores are imported from pacific rim countries and China.
I was under the impression a vast majority of flies are now made in Africa. I was at caribou last year and a huge flies order had just shown up at the ware house and all were imported from Africa...FS
Old 07-07-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You seem to forget the time it takes to tie one. Even at minimum wage they would cost you about 3 bucks labour to have someone make just one fly.
Yup. Time isn't free.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I was under the impression a vast majority of flies are now made in Africa. I was at caribou last year and a huge flies order had just shown up at the ware house and all were imported from Africa...FS
Interesting, didn't know that, I guess wherever they can find low labour costs. The poor buggers probably don't get much per fly.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Yes, Kenya particularly has for decades provided some of the cheapest flies to the market. I believe their quality has moved ahead from the mid 80’s when I first became familiar with them while working at a couple of fly shops during university. Still very inexpensive at wholesale from the factories and I am sure they provide a great many of the affordable flies found for sale online in addition to several fly shops around the country.

SE Asia -including somewhat more recently Cambodia and a trade / industrial zone in Mae Sot in northern Thailand on the Burmese border - Chiang Mai also in N Thailand and Philippines provide a LOT of the quality flies found for sale in Canada and the US. Rainy’s, Umpqua Feather Merchants / Tie a Fly, Montana Fly and many other of the reputable operations we are familiar with come from this region. Materials used and tie quality are typically first rate.

South Asia, (I have especially seen quantities of flies coming out of Sri Lanka) also puts out production and I imagine China does too, though I am not directly familiar with any fly shops in N America sourcing from China.

Last edited by Adrien Schnee; 07-08-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Banned

Another fellow that's based in Edmonton and ties custom flies is Clay.
Contact him and see what he can do for you.

https://www.facebook.com/redbeardflyco/
Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowBoy75 View Post
And $5.50/fly from orvis is just ridiculous for a simple, inexpensive fly to make. What did they make it out of gold? Haha

Since you think that $5.50/fly is a ridiculous price, what do you think a "fair" price would be?
Old 07-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Have you seen the flies I'm referring to? They take 2-3 minutes to tie and use very little material. It's basically a tungsten bead with a small hook.
I'm fine paying $10 or more for streamers and complicated flies, I actually have fly boxes full of them.
Hey if you got the money and wanna drop $5.50 per Czech fly all the power to you.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Default Fly Price?

Quote:
Have you seen the flies I'm referring to? They take 2-3 minutes to tie and use very little material. It's basically a tungsten bead with a small hook.
I'm fine paying $10 or more for streamers and complicated flies, I actually have fly boxes full of them.
Hey if you got the money and wanna drop $5.50 per Czech fly all the power to you.

Sorry BowBoy, but as someone who has been tying for close to 40 years I'm going to say 2-3 minutes per fly is not realistic. Just out of curiosity, what do feel would be a fair retail price for these nymphs?
Old 07-08-2020, 12:46 PM

Best bet is to start tying yourself. Started myself after spending hundreds on nymphs a season
Old 07-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:

To be honest, I’ve been tying for almost 20 years, fiddling with new materials, nice patterns, etc. But one thing is for certain, if you want a 3 minute tied fly, don’t expect quality. If you want a nice fly, 10 mins should be allocated for everything. If you start tying, ten years and 10k flies later you will know what we’re talking about. It’s like me telling a welder that my steel truck bumper should take 4 hours to complete... yeah he’ll complete it... but I won’t like the end result.
Fly tying is art. And art deserves respect. Tying a sht fly to save extra $2 is off putting to me.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Ive been buying these flies from local shop for $3-$4 and I was fine paying that for them but I need specific size and weights and the stores did not have the selection for what Im looking for.
After doing some research I saw that there wasnt much to tying these flies so I thought I'd buy the supplies and do it myself but ran into supply issues, one shop would have this but was missing that. I would have had to order from 4 different shop to get what I needed and pay separate shipping for all these separate stores. I figured it might be worth it to see if there were tyers out there that could do what I needed and pay them instead.
I didn't mean to offend any tyers out there but some of you have seem to take this the wrong way. I realize you put a lot of time and effort into your craft. I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is I'm not willing to pay orvis prices for these style of flies. If that puts me out of your price range then I accept it, I'll look elsewhere.
I thought this was community that helped other people out? Seems some of you are only willing to do skmething if you can make a big profit off of it.
Don't worry I'll keep looking and when I track down a good supply I'll make it available for others who need it.

Here's a video of the tying. Some parts were sped but most was in real time.
Is it that complicated or time consuming?

https://youtu.be/O2-vKgT5dS4

Old 07-08-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineFlyFisher View Post
Best bet is to start tying yourself. Started myself after spending hundreds on nymphs a season
I think this might be my best option

Old 07-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Ive been buying these flies from local shop for $3-$4 and I was fine paying that for them but I need specific size and weights and the stores did not have the selection for what Im looking for.
After doing some research I saw that there wasnt much to tying these flies so I thought I'd buy the supplies and do it myself but ran into supply issues, one shop would have this but was missing that. I would have had to order from 4 different shop to get what I needed and pay separate shipping for all these separate stores. I figured it might be worth it to see if there were tyers out there that could do what I needed and pay them instead.
I didn't mean to offend any tyers out there but some of you have seem to take this the wrong way. I realize you put a lot of time and effort into your craft. I'm not disputing that, all I'm saying is I'm not willing to pay orvis prices for these style of flies. If that puts me out of your price range then I accept it, I'll look elsewhere.
I thought this was community that helped other people out? Seems some of you are only willing to do skmething if you can make a big profit off of it.
Don't worry I'll keep looking and when I track down a good supply I'll make it available for others who need it.

I dont think they are out to get you. They are just trying to reason with you the amount of time needed. Many fly tyers will be in the same boat as you. If you want it done a certain way and looking a certain way then they also have to order from those 4 different shops you speak of just to tie some flies for you. So it wont have a big profit margin for it.

If you want those exact flies from orvis then it sounds like its pretty good deal and stress free.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-08-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:

No sir, respectfully you are missing the point that I was making. I’m not here expecting $10 a fly (I usually tie tons of flies for my friends free of charge)
What I’m saying is that $$= quality. You won’t find someone tying $3 flies using good quality hooks (imo very important). Most flies a person buys are made in Kenya, and a lot of those ppl out there are way better tiers than people on here. Like with all things, people (not specifically you per se) are expecting better for cheaper, and that’s simply not feasible.
BowBoy, I ran the numbers... to tie what you want featured in the video it would cost $10 for hooks, $15 for beads, for that very nice tail material you would have to purchase a saddle (minimum $40) and Mylar $4, thread $4, and varnish (cheapest being sally Hanson) $5. Granted there will be left over material (which lots of ppl wouldn’t use, you’re looking at $77 for materials. Which leaves us with $3.08 per fly before any time is put in. So if you do it yourself, it’s feasible to do it for your price range... assuming you have everything else like tying tools.
There are kind ppl on here, but I would say that people are weary of tying for free to a random person. If you were my friend, hell yeah I would. But this is the internet. Good luck on your journey.
Cheers
Old 07-08-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:

If you’re looking at custom flies, you must be willing to understand that it takes time, materials and more time to tie what you want. No self-respecting fly tyer is going to sit down for hours tying for you only to receive pennies. We all want value for our work just like photographers and artists. It’s not unheard of to charge $5-$20 for 1 fly if the individual is super talent and in demand.

You also seem to not get that most of the flies instore are either outsourced from 3rd world countries or have a contract with individual fly tyers. Either of these 2 bring the price down to affordability for fly-fishermans. I seen the exact same flies across 3 stores in Calgary and knew that they were severely overpriced.

Say you won’t pay orvis prices, that’s fine but most of us don’t do this for a living. At the end of the day, if my time is valued, i’m not going to bother with small flies for other people when I can do it for myself. I have to tie the flies at home, all you have to do is put them on a tippet and pray you don’t snag.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
To be honest, I’ve been tying for almost 20 years, fiddling with new materials, nice patterns, etc. But one thing is for certain, if you want a 3 minute tied fly, don’t expect quality. If you want a nice fly, 10 mins should be allocated for everything. If you start tying, ten years and 10k flies later you will know what we’re talking about. It’s like me telling a welder that my steel truck bumper should take 4 hours to complete... yeah he’ll complete it... but I won’t like the end result.
Fly tying is art. And art deserves respect. Tying a sht fly to save extra $2 is off putting to me.
Meh, I tie sht flies 50% of the time for the last 45 years and they all work. However, a good tie on a sht hook is worse than a bad tie on a good hook anytime!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM

I am not a fly tyer, but I do tie jigs and I made my own tying vice. It didn’t take too long and I have been using it for years . Not a fancy precision machined vice but it works and it was inexpensive to make.

https://youtu.be/T5NlHMAT1IQ
Old 07-08-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like you answered your own question....start tying...let us know how that goes....
Old 07-08-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Once you are set up you can tie for others, make a fortune!

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2020, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
BLAM! I wish I'd have said that.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:34 PM

Flys Etc. High River
Old 07-09-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well after tying for around 30years I am clearly doing it all wrong

To the OP I stopped tying flies for sale except for friends years ago for a reason. Even back when I did it was only truly profitable to sell large streamers. I won’t even consider small patterns because they are a pain in the rear. I can actually tie fairly elaborate streamers at a much faster pace. This might just be my gimpy hands but it is the way it is

There is no lack of people out there who can’t calculate time, material expenses and reasonable profit so you could get lucky and find someone to tie them cheap. Or start tying your own and never worry again
Old 07-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Op

If you came on and said, I want to buy these flies (pictures attached), using this hook, bead etc and I will pay $x per fly, is anyone interested. That would be a respectful way to see if you can find anyone interested. All this other nonsense you are engaging in about value of time, not being that much work etc is just plain disrespectful. Especially so since you already posted how much work and cost it is to just accumulated the materials to tie the flies, thus you are interested in doing it yourself.

If you can't find anyone to tie what you want at the price you want, look elsewhere or raise the price, but quit telling guys they are failing other board members, by the way signing on 11 years ago and making 70 posts to now doesn't qualify as being one of the big contributors on here deserving of extraordinary accommodation, or that they are dipsticks for not wanting to play by your rules. Accept what you are being told and move on cause all you a doing right now is really alienating your target audience.