Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 09:06 PM

Default Ice Auger Blade Sharpening in Western Canada

Hey Anglers!

In preparing for the upcoming ice season I started looking into where I could have my ice auger blades sharpened around Edmonton. From what I've read on this forum R and R Sharpening is the place to go.

When I started digging a bit further I found a few places throughout the western provinces to get ice auger sharpening done. Instead of having someone search all around the internet I thought it might be useful to list them all in one place. There might be a convenient location you may not have known about:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/i...estern-canada/

I think its worth mentioning a website called The Hand of Gord, they provide a mail order sharpening service for those that live too far away or would rather not drive all over just to have their auger blades sharpened.

Let me know what you think! Is this kind of stuff useful? If I missed any places that you feel should be on the list please send me a message.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Can’t recommend R&R In west Edmonton enough, great service and very reasonably priced.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 AM

R&R is the only place to get anything that needs an edge sharpened... I could have shaved with my machete when I got it back, and my lawn mower blades blast through some pretty gnarly grass. Never been disappointed when I have taken anything in there.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 PM

If anyone is looking for someone in Calgary, Carbide Saw Services in Bowness is very good and reasonably priced. My strike master blades r tricky to do because of the curved edge. They come back sharper than brand new ones.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:55 PM

Dropped my Jiffy auger off at R and R Sharpening today. He said I was the first one of the season! I’m surprised to hear that since some are already getting out on the hard water.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Dropped my Jiffy auger off at R and R Sharpening today. He said I was the first one of the season! I’m surprised to hear that since some are already getting out on the hard water.
Wait you drop off the entire auger or just the blades, I took my blades off this morning to bring it by

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Wait you drop off the entire auger or just the blades, I took my blades off this morning to bring it by
I left the motor at home but I dropped off the whole auger flight because I wanted the pilot point sharpened too. Pilot point doesn’t come off.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I left the motor at home but I dropped off the whole auger flight because I wanted the pilot point sharpened too. Pilot point doesn’t come off.
Interesting. I was thinking about that myself because Jiffy flights have those weird blades and the point that doesn't come off, but Sportsman's Den in RD told me to leave the flight at home...they just wanted the blades...so I figured there was no way to sharpen that thing. I'm going to talk to a different shop sometime and see what they know...
Old 11-08-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Interesting. I was thinking about that myself because Jiffy flights have those weird blades and the point that doesn't come off, but Sportsman's Den in RD told me to leave the flight at home...they just wanted the blades...so I figured there was no way to sharpen that thing. I'm going to talk to a different shop sometime and see what they know...
I think that point doesn't do much other than centralize and keep the auger from walking when you start cutting. I used to sharpen mine up with a file and only really did a fine job on the blades themselves.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:27 PM

For you folks in deep south Calgary, Foothills Sharpening in Okotoks does a great job on auger blades either centre, curved or chipper blades. If they have time, sometimes while you wait too. Have done mine for years and many other fishing friends too.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I think that point doesn't do much other than centralize and keep the auger from walking when you start cutting. I used to sharpen mine up with a file and only really did a fine job on the blades themselves.
That hasn't been my experience personally. The pilot point is the first point of contact and begins the drilling process first. Without a sharp point the cutting blade wont reach the ice. When my auger was new I would have to hold it back to keep it from taking too big of a cut otherwise it would stall. By the end of the season I was leaning on it to get it to cut fast enough, even after having the blade sharpened but not the pilot point.

That being said I don't think the angle on the pilot point is as critical as the blade angle. Most people just touch it up with a file and the Jiffy website recommends using a disc grinder.

https://www.jiffyonice.com/Service-S...harpening-Tips
Old 12-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Finally had the jiffy propane auger out this weekend and put my freshly sharpened blades to the test. Thanks to R and R Sharpening it once again cuts like a hot knife through butter! $12 well spent.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Finally had the jiffy propane auger out this weekend and put my freshly sharpened blades to the test. Thanks to R and R Sharpening it once again cuts like a hot knife through butter! $12 well spent.

I brought my jiggy blades into r&r right after you and it also cuts like butter!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Does anybody know of any place in the Lethbridge area that can do Eskimo blades?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Anyone have any luck with a location that sharpens Strikemaster blades in Edmonton, or better yet, Bonnyville/Cold Lake?
Old 12-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Default LA Sharpening in Leduc

Just wanted to put it out there that L.A Sharpening in Leduc will also sharpen your auger blades.
It has recently changed owners and the new owner says they can start sharpening the blades in the new year.

Tight Lines!
Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 AM

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any other sharpening services in Edmonton to get a set of auger blades touched up? Stopped by R&R on the west end yesterday and they are closed and not accepting anything at this time.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR_RAT View Post
Just wondering if anyone can recommend any other sharpening services in Edmonton to get a set of auger blades touched up? Stopped by R&R on the west end yesterday and they are closed and not accepting anything at this time.
I would check out The Hand of Gord, as mentioned earlier in this thread. You send them away and he sharpens and sends back. Good reviews.

That said, with the holiday mail situation you may not get them back for a while due to shipping so hopefully you have a spare set.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-15-2020, 09:12 AM

Default r&r sharpening

they have closed their doors
Old 12-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzza View Post

Rest In Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Respect wildlife
Old 12-15-2020, 10:28 AM

I have an older Jiffy Model 30 10". I used to change out blades quite often but once I realized that you have to keep the pilot point edges somewhat sharp I have not changed a blade in years. I just use a file to dress it up and it cuts the ice like butter. Make sure you wear gloves to avoid cuts from the blade!
Old 12-15-2020, 10:32 AM

You can save your edge on the blades pretty easy with a little maintenance after every day out.

I take a ceramic stone I have and run it very lightly along the bottom of the blade to knock off the burr that forms, you don’t have to take off the blades for this. Amazing how little goes along ways.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:33 PM

Save your blades!

Take a shovel and clean right down to the ice check for sludge drop from vehicles that had been parked where you are going to cut a hole Salt sand and even a bit of gravel can hide just under the snow really important on high usage lakes.

Extremely important with a Husquavarna auger as replacement blades are no longer available Discontinued

Last edited by Moosetalker; 12-15-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzza View Post
Devastating news. They were my go to for blades for the last decade.

Does anyone have any good recommendations in the Edmonton area?
Old 12-15-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
Rest In Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure all is lost.

https://www.grindit.net/

Seems there is a mobile version of RandR thats very much in business. No need to drop anything off they come to you.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:49 PM

I take mine to a local skate sharpener

blade was very sharp after

now my bro does mine with his grinders or local Skate sharpener

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user20496_pic8482_1392270643.jpg (48.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:15 PM

Has anyone ever tried the Hand of Gord? Does not appear to be anyone around Edmonchuck that sharpens auger blades any longer.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:59 PM

My fishing friends and I have 3 augers that could use a sharpen. R and R has a new website offering a mobile service however when I contacted him he indicated he is now only working from his shop in Wabamum. I am planning to take our augers out there tomorrow. he quoted $10 per set.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain11 View Post
My fishing friends and I have 3 augers that could use a sharpen. R and R has a new website offering a mobile service however when I contacted him he indicated he is now only working from his shop in Wabamum. I am planning to take our augers out there tomorrow. he quoted $10 per set.
I did some research on this. It's the same family as the original R and R but not the same guys. This guy specializes in barber scissors and kitchen knives, etc.. I used R and R for 15 years but this new guy didn't seam confident at all with auger blades when we talked.

I just took my blades into All Blades in west Edmonton. Price was reasonable(30 bucks for 2 sets of jiffy STX plus the auger leg point) and turn around time is pretty descent too(3-5 business days). When I get them back and give them a try ill let you know how they turned out.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:28 AM

Took two sets of blades from manual augers to Bill from R and R at his shop in Wabamun on Saturday. You are correct in that his Dad ran the business but passed away 3 years ago. They tried to keep it going but had to shut the shop due to covid. Anyway the set he sharpened for my auger was fine as we immediately tested on the lake. However the second set on an older 8 inch is worse than they were before the sharpening and can hardly get a bite. We were careful when removing to ensure they go back on properly and we even tried a couple of old shims but still can't get it to bite. Do you think a poor sharpening job would result in that behavior? I would hope if you are sharpening restaurant chefs knives auger blades would not be that much of a challenge. My buddy might just buy some new blades to see if indeed that solves the issue. Let us know how it goes at All Blades please.