Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 02:48 AM

Default Liberal plan for gun control

Lieberal MP agrees with the coalition for gun control.

https://www.albertaliberal.com/swann_gunviolence_18
Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 AM

Are you really surprised?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:11 AM

He's a member of the Legislative Assembly not a member of Parliament. But still, ridiculous proposals true to Liberal mind set.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 AM

Abra cadabra...... poof!!!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:46 AM

So he wants to ban fully automatic firearms. Do any of these guys know the current laws?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Banned

Haha. He wants to ban sniper rifles.

Transparent access to data on gun ownership? What is that supposed to mean?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:32 AM

Jeez. Typical liberal

Edited
Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 AM

Yep, they don't want to ban yer hunting rifles.

Until they relabel them that is.

Fun LIEberal fact: Did you know that nearly every over the counter new rifle can be mounted with a high powered sniper scope?

And the 30-06 was used in many sniper rifles!

You don't presently need a license to buy or mount a scope.

Think of the children!

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

The Israeli army adopted the 1022 as "less lethal sniper rifle", jeez, why don't we just shut life down?
How the heck did these nut cases end up with any kind of power?
Full auto?
Lets legalize elicit drugs, lets reward terrorists, lets turn a blind eye on the opiate crisis, lets fix problems that don't exist.
I hope karma hurries up and gets trudeau, cause he's earned it!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:57 AM

I have been reading tons on the internet from semi-auto gun owners about how the entire firearm community should support their rights because prohibition is a slippery slope and they will eventually come for hunting rifles. I have to admit I never took these views seriously until reading that this guy wants to ban sniper rifles... I just started a thread asking for suggestions on a cheap caliber for long distance shooting...

I think this guys comments are so ignorant of the laws and firearm types that he will regret having made this statement, but it is telling on how some politicians are really more interested in votes than issues. He actually has provided some really good material for pro firearms groups to leverage.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Going to email his office later to find out why he feels that automatics need to be prohibited again, when they already are and what his definition of a sniper rifle is.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Going to email his office later to find out why he feels that automatics need to be prohibited again, when they already are and what his definition of a sniper rifle is.
Swan has already announced he won't run again. guess he's finally figured out his ideology doesn't mesh with Albertans.

Grizz
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM

Do alberta liberals still exist
Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM

At least he plans to finally "harmonize firearm injury reporting across Canada".
What does that even mean?

All these knee jerk Canadian politicians are jumping on the band wagon of a problem we don't even have!

People who didn't grow up around guns are absolutely terrified of us western outdoorsmen, and seem to think we all have houses full of automatic rifles and beat our wives. Good grief.

I don't see how we are ever going to win this battle, when there is so much of the urban population growing up not only without shooting as part of their lives, but no connection to the outdoors whatsoever.

They are also heavily influenced by the US news, and our main stream news in Canada isn't doing us any favors either.
The motto in any news organization is "If it bleeds...it leads".

Only thing that needs to be banned, is American news hysteria reporting into Canada...or at least we really need to check how we are reacting to those stories and put them into context.

It's going to be a real battle as the anti gun momentum in Canada is going to SURGE especially headed into the next election.
There are waayyy more of them, then there are of us.

Although we all need to do it, I'm not sure writing our MLA/MP is going to cut it any more. The anti's votes count a lot higher than ours do. It's just math.

All the majority of urban Canadian voters see when talk of guns comes up, is either urban gang bangers with hand guns, or red neck neanderthals who no longer have a need for guns "in this day and age".

How do we combat the growing image problem that gun owners have?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 AM

I thought political threads were verboten?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I thought political threads were verboten?
Its firearms related so its applicable to the boards content. Its right in the sticky:

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339791
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM

"if you are not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if you are not a conservative at 30 you have no brain" -obscure quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
"if you are not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if you are not a conservative at 30 you have no brain" -obscure quote
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libe...-c71-1.4584074
Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I have been reading tons on the internet from semi-auto gun owners about how the entire firearm community should support their rights because prohibition is a slippery slope and they will eventually come for hunting rifles. I have to admit I never took these views seriously until reading that this guy wants to ban sniper rifles... I just started a thread asking for suggestions on a cheap caliber for long distance shooting...

I think this guys comments are so ignorant of the laws and firearm types that he will regret having made this statement, but it is telling on how some politicians are really more interested in votes than issues. He actually has provided some really good material for pro firearms groups to leverage.
Should have a look at the prohib list sometime, and just see how long it is. Just in the last couple decades, about half of Canada's pistols were declared prohib with the stroke of a pen.

Semi auto AK and AR were non-restricted, no mag capacity limits. Until the Oka crisis, then they went prohib and restricted. Not because "blood in the streets", but because they wanted to limit the power that a militant civilian group could wield.

The world is full of countries that lost nearly all their guns and rights exactly the same way. Concession after concession, little bits at a time.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Do alberta liberals still exist
Yes.theyre reclassified as ndp
Old 03-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Suspended User

Just remember, that to the liberal agenda. All guns are to be eventually confiscated. Look up the United Nations agreements from the 80's.

Also remember that all semiautos can be made full auto, in theory. And it was discovered last year what the liberals want to do with our semi's. All liberal parties follow the same basic path.

The answer is once again... What gun? I got no guns.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
and what his definition of a sniper rifle is.

simple. Any rifle in MY hands. Baha.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Should have a look at the prohib list sometime, and just see how long it is. Just in the last couple decades, about half of Canada's pistols were declared prohib with the stroke of a pen.

Semi auto AK and AR were non-restricted, no mag capacity limits. Until the Oka crisis, then they went prohib and restricted. Not because "blood in the streets", but because they wanted to limit the power that a militant civilian group could wield.

The world is full of countries that lost nearly all their guns and rights exactly the same way. Concession after concession, little bits at a time.
Interesting, thanks. Will follow up on the prohib list and also the timing around Oka. Hard to understand this or any other issue without historical context.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 PM

So hypothetically speaking if I have a single shot 410 that has been used to hunt Wilson’s snipe, would that be classified as a sniper rifle.

The stupidity in this day and age is hard for this old bugger to comprehend.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 AM

Harper just slowed the process by a few years. He knew going in that the Libs would reverse whatever he did, as soon as they got back in, there was never any mystery about that. The goings on down south provided the platform and the momentum to go a bit further for them, they will eventually recreate the registry and bit by bit move the "black guns" and handguns and whatever autoloaders repeating firearms they can, to restricted, then prohibited status, grandfather them and collect them bit by bit over time until they are gone. They have time on their side, and the apathetic and lazy gun owners, for the most part, will not raise any appreciable stink to counter it, they can take their time and get it done.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Haha. He wants to ban sniper rifles.

Transparent access to data on gun ownership? What is that supposed to mean?
Baning "fully automatics" guns and "sniper rifles" ..... omg .... lol

The way I look at it .....honestly these uneducated clowns are perfect adversaries .... this guy is perfect ..... it would be pretty easy to debate this guy and destroy his credibility in about 4 minutes.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Baning "fully automatics" guns and "sniper rifles" ..... omg .... lol

The way I look at it .....honestly these uneducated clowns are perfect adversaries .... this guy is perfect ..... it would be pretty easy to debate this guy and destroy his credibility in about 4 minutes.
He'd just pull a Trudeau and evade the question and confuse everyone with a bunch of redundant meaningless made up terms, you can't argue with stupid people, it's futile, they will never be on the same page, these guys obviously are beyond delusional, sniper rifle, what does that even mean? Full auto? This is so scary, but hey not a word about religious exemption which of course caters to Trutards terrorist buddies, that is concerning, people able to buy restricted firearms while wearing a mask. This country is so ass backwards right now, good thing I sold my guns.....................………
Old 03-27-2018, 01:47 PM

Never surprised by what the Liberals will try to pass a Bill on.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

This is what Alan Friesen (Vice President of Lethbridge Fish and Game Association) had to say about the upcoming changes -

“I am a big fan of one of their proposed changes, and that is their plan to eliminate illegal gun transfers. It makes really good sense, and the penalties are very significant”.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
This is what Alan Friesen (Vice President of Lethbridge Fish and Game Association) had to say about the upcoming changes -

“I am a big fan of one of their proposed changes, and that is their plan to eliminate illegal gun transfers. It makes really good sense, and the penalties are very significant”.

Except it won't eliminate illegal firearms transfers, the criminals will still access firearms illegally.