Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Any Gas Appliance Repair guys out there?

Hey Everyone,

I have a Bertazzoni gas range/oven where I think I need the thermocouple replaced. I have ordered the part and it has arrived.

Called the manufacturer's listed local service provider makes me a little nervous as they don't return phone calls and don't seem to be too familiar with the range ?!?!?!

So I went to look at how much work this was (youtube) and probably could tackle it BUT, this is an expensive oven so I thought it might be best to hire someone who has done this before as I don't want to break/screw up this oven and break something ... which is something I am good at. lol.

It also occurred to me, as I have zero gas appliance experience if this wasn't a quick fix and the thermocouple didn't fix it - I have zero idea how to trouble shoot a fix myself anyways - so it could be a waste of time and I'd have the oven in pieces which would make my wife and daughter pretty darn mad at me.

I am not looking for someone to do it for free or even for cheap - I am happy to pay for a professional who has some real life experience with these (these ranges/ovens are not common) and similar to a wolf "homeowner/commercial" type range.

I am in the west end and pretty flexible in terms of scheduling. I would pay cash if that works well for a qualified professional to do a little work on the side.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 AM

Sometimes these fixes are actually very simple. Our gas dryer quit. Google clued me in to the thermal fuse. About 200.cheaper than having a service call.

Grizz
Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Suspended User

Most of these are simple. Except that universal thermocouples don't always fit. I find that the routing usually sucks. Plus it could also be the gas regulating valve. Haven't worked on what you own, but in general they work on the same principal.
What are the symptoms? Why are you thinking the problem is a thermocouple? Could be, but also a couple of other big problems are possible.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Thermocouple for the oven or top burners ?

Cleaning the grounds/connection to the valve often resolve the issue.

The top needs to come off which is simple as removing the screws for the burners and some philip screws from the back.

If you want somebody to do the work phone Gord's appliance. He would be a good choice and has experience.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Thermocouple for the oven or top burners ?

Cleaning the grounds/connection to the valve often resolve the issue.

The top needs to come off which is simple as removing the screws for the burners and some philip screws from the back.

If you want somebody to do the work phone Gord's appliance. He would be a good choice and has experience.
It's the thermo couple for the oven most likely. By the sounds of what I read and the "mannerisms" of the oven right before final failure and the fact this is a common issue in this oven - I purchased a new thermo couple. That's what I'm basing my hypothesis on - but you are right could be something totally different but for 20 bucks for a new one I thought I'd grab one in case the guy comes over, takes it all apart and then says "need a thermocouple".

Like a 20 dollar insurance policy for me really.

Is Gord's in Edmonton? I'm the west end here in Edmonton? if so I will give him a call.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Most of these are simple. Except that universal thermocouples don't always fit. I find that the routing usually sucks. Plus it could also be the gas regulating valve. Haven't worked on what you own, but in general they work on the same principal.
What are the symptoms? Why are you thinking the problem is a thermocouple? Could be, but also a couple of other big problems are possible.
See above post - based on my research it's likely the thermo couple - but of course, it could be something else not allowing the oven to light.

I ordered the OEM Bertazzoni thermo couple from Italy. So it should fit ( I hope lol).

I saw on youtube the procedure and it's a royal PITA AND I have no idea how to verify or check for any other signs of issues and even less of an idea how to correct anything that needs tweaking.

I am not allowed to fix stuff or put together furniture from IKEA anymore - this leads to throwing particle board all over the house and smashing partially built furniture in the front driveway while the neighbours you tube video my tantrum.

The oven was taking an excessive amount of time to light - had to hold down the igniter longer and longer and longer until it just quit on us. Also one little puff of air and it would go out it seemed to me until the oven was hot.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It's the thermo couple for the oven most likely. By the sounds of what I read and the "mannerisms" of the oven right before final failure and the fact this is a common issue in this oven - I purchased a new thermo couple. That's what I'm basing my hypothesis on - but you are right could be something totally different but for 20 bucks for a new one I thought I'd grab one in case the guy comes over, takes it all apart and then says "need a thermocouple".

Like a 20 dollar insurance policy for me really.

Is Gord's in Edmonton? I'm the west end here in Edmonton? if so I will give him a call.
Sorry some how I thought you were in Calgary. Not sure who does Bertazzoni up north. You are correct in assuming thermocouple as it is a common failure point, but in more than a few instances simple cleaning the connections fixes the problem. I've replaced at least half a dozen and it's not a terrible job.

Last edited by flange; 03-26-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling