Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 PM

Default bullet testing

I want to test out a few different bullets to see how well they hold up when hunting. I`m going to use the water jugs stacked in a row. Most stuff I have read people are shooting from about 20-25 yards away and examing the bullet for weight retention. But I was thinking if I want to see how the bullet holds up should I be shooting the jugs at a hunting distance(100-200 yards average) Or does it not matter. What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
I want to test out a few different bullets to see how well they hold up when hunting. I`m going to use the water jugs stacked in a row. Most stuff I have read people are shooting from about 20-25 yards away and examing the bullet for weight retention. But I was thinking if I want to see how the bullet holds up should I be shooting the jugs at a hunting distance(100-200 yards average) Or does it not matter. What do you guys think?
Testing bullets at nominal terminal velocities makes nothing but sense to me. Good plan. Hope you have some Woodleighs to try lol
Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 PM

Wrap 2" of hair and hide around them and a few bones, tissue, sinew and cartilage inside all packed solidly in place and you might get a somewhat more realistic impression of what they might behave like on game. Water jugs make nice consistent picture perfect mushrooms but are not really indicative of how they behave when hitting animals. All shooting water jugs will do is tell you how they behave when shooting water jugs.