Old 03-22-2018, 09:42 PM

Just put another ball valve in.
And exercise it once in a while.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Just put another ball valve in.
And exercise it once in a while.
Uh huh....looking for an actual solution from a professional plumber. My main water line doesn't get much "exercise". Thanks.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Uh huh....looking for an actual solution from a professional plumber. My main water line doesn't get much "exercise". Thanks.

Want me to send you a bill?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Sorry for not giving an update with this post sooner.

So my plumber was able to get the ball valve moving on my main water supply by applying a few taps with a hammer and then working it free. I guess I was just to nervous to use much force thinking I would snap the lever. Hahaha. It moves freely now without issue and no leaking whatsoever.

He did not charge me.

Thanks for all your advice on this issue. Really appreciate it. I learned a lot.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Now let’s back up the the suggestion of freezing the line. I have frozen all manner of water mains and heating lines and it’s a very effective technique. The dangers in suggesting this for an amateur are many.

Yeah, for sure.

I reno'd one of the bathrooms in the ex's house, house was 60 years old and had what looked like the original main shutoff. It was stiff, surprised it didn't break. Didn't want to take chances afterward, bought a new valve to put upstream, and the amateur plumber that I am ended up messing around with it for a few hours. Cut the pipe, dealing with the dripping water from the pipes above, took me a while to figure out that a shop vac would clear the pipes and give me a dry joint to solder. I'm sure the ice would have thawed long before I managed to solder the joints.

I'll never try freezing a pipe.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:25 AM
Banned

Default Cold Shot pipe freeze kit...

...for the adventurous DYI guys.

I can't imagine any journeyman recommending self-help. For that matter, it has been my experience that a lot of pros have their own service key and don't bother the City unless/until the rod breaks.

In the end it appears as though the householder was right to call in a plumber. And dry ice is so twentieth century.

Free
Old 04-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Sorry for not giving an update with this post sooner.

So my plumber was able to get the ball valve moving on my main water supply by applying a few taps with a hammer and then working it free. I guess I was just to nervous to use much force thinking I would snap the lever. Hahaha. It moves freely now without issue and no leaking whatsoever.

He did not charge me.

Thanks for all your advice on this issue. Really appreciate it. I learned a lot.
Thanks for the update.

Now that you're no longer in emergency mode (this time) it would be good to carefully plan an upgrade to that problematic main shutoff. A pair of valves in series, one of which is a water-service shutoff globe, would still be advisable.

If the problem happened once, without changes it will probably happen again.

BTW, do you also have ball valves servicing all your outside lawn and garden outlets?