Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM

In my mind I see a 'bear gun' not to kill a bear with, but to deter with noise. I bought a Churchill for this. It fits on the quad nicely, hangs on my cot in the tent or straps to my backpack out of the way. Simply put, its a big nose maker. I'm pretty sure, if I was surprised and charged for real, the only thing between me and jaws would be a can of spray. Its the only thing I know I can draw and shoot fast enough with any degree of accuracy. I know there's no way I could draw a gun, chamber a round and aim in the seconds I would have before a bear is on me. The gun is only for when I see it first and want it out of my way.
The main reason for buying this cheap gun, was well, it's cheap. Its small and light, and cheap. if I loose it in river, or it gets stolen i'm not out a bunch of dough, and i'll just go buy a new one.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 PM

I would go with a double barreled hammer gun from Trade Ex. Get the barrel shortened to just above legal (18 1/2"). Then when you get caught off guard by a bear it's hammers back and bang, second shot for good measure. No safety issues with a hammer gun. Cost, a couple hundred bucks.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

Any gun will likely do the job , The problem is a bear seldom advertises when he comes at you ! The kicker is will you see it on time to use the gun ? But then again if you have one its better than not having one !I have had a bear creep up behind me at about six feet and had I not turned around and yelled that there is no telling if he would have nibbled on me!
At two in the morning you really are not expecting this! This has happened a couple times trapping , So yes I changed those shorts two times also!
It,s whatever gives you peace of mind.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I'm sure its a fun gun to shoot cans & stumps with, but when it comes down to a life and death tactical situation, there is a big difference in reliability between a 300 dollar shotgun and a 1000 dollar one. Stressful situations are very hard on equipment.
I have two Maverick 88's. I've had one of them since 1992 ($200 bucks back then) and have put thousands of shells through it. Not one stoppage, hard extraction or any other issue. I carry it religiously when bowhunting and river fishing. I fail to see the need to spend $1000 on a shotgun for fear of reliability when I have 26 years of "reliable" slung across my back.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 AM

Bought a Maverick 88 for exactly the same reason. Put lots of 3" magnum slugs through it, always goes band when I pull the trigger and never had any kind of malfunction. That said, never once have I carried it when fishing. Bear spray is all the defense I have.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
I have two Maverick 88's. I've had one of them since 1992 ($200 bucks back then) and have put thousands of shells through it. Not one stoppage, hard extraction or any other issue. I carry it religiously when bowhunting and river fishing. I fail to see the need to spend $1000 on a shotgun for fear of reliability when I have 26 years of "reliable" slung across my back.
I’ll second this. I’ve had my short barreled mav for 8 years now, well over a thousand rounds of varying ammo, and not once have I had any issue. No jam, no miss, no hang, no fail to eject, nothing. I also have a mav with the 28” vent rib, and it’s seen close to the same amount of rounds, without a single hiccup. Hands down I would trust my life to either one of these shotguns.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 PM

I love my Akkar, P@D still has them for $250.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180225_145928_resized.jpg (33.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20180225_145811_resized.jpg (45.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:26 AM

My new bear deterrent device.
18" barrel and 5 shot clip

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by 1savagehunter; 03-22-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 PM

Here's a nice one, 14" barrel

https://www.rdsc.ca/collections/rifl...rel-12ga-black
Old 03-29-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I love my Akkar, P@D still has them for $250.00
That's the one I have. Cheap, fun, easy to pack, and its cheap!
Old 03-29-2018, 03:23 PM

I bought a little Uzkon AS44 from S&J Hardware last year. 13.5inch barrel, great to throw in a case and keep on the quad. Never had an issue with accuracy, and it has a pistol grip. I bought it specifically for hiking/quading/camping.