Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM

Default mule deer rut

Morning
Just wondering if mule deer and white tail rut at the same time? I have heard
different stories on this, i have been told that the peak of the white tail is
mid novenber and the mule deer are 2 weeks before that, also when is a good time to start rattling

Thank's and good luck to all
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM

I found the 2nd and 3rd weekend in November have the most rut activitity.....not sure which I'd give the advantage to, but both are good times to be out.....middle of November usually is about the best for mulies that I've found, though it seems the biggest difference in whitetails and mulies is the mule deer rut lasts a bit longer....
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM

When we've been hunting mulies my experience has been week # 3.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM

I would say the 3rd and 4th week are the best. I have seen many groups of bucks together in the first week. less in the second week, and the third is when it gets crazy. Last year in the 4th week the bucks were running around drooling with there nose to the ground. They were definetly very love struck . It is also my experience that the smaller bucks tend to go into rut earlier than the big guys. Whitetail rut usually peaks in the third week.

cheers
Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 AM

According to Fish and Wildlife studies conducted on gutpiles obtained during Camp Wainwright hunts, 80-85% of the whitetail does are impregnated the day before, the day of Nov.17, and the day after. Since this is when the height of the breeding occurs, the logic dictates that this time frame must be the peak of the whitetail rut.

Down around Wainwright where I used to hunt Mulies on draw and Whitetail on general tags, we would observe numerous incidents of Muley bucks chasing does around the 17th. Therefore, it would seem the two species rut around the same time.

Bobby B.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Both species have near identical gestation periods, they drop their fawns at near identical times so it would only make sense that they rut at pretty much the same time frame.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM

My experience has been the mules are just a few days earlier, (often the middle of Nov) with the WTs usually going by the third week.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM

The Mule Deer rut in my observation starts a little later,most Whitetail does seem to be bred before some of the Mulies.Perhaps this explains why in country that has both species Hybreds occur,(I have one hanging in my den).I have seen Whitetail Bucks chashing and following Mulie does on enough occasions in late November to suggest that these Hybreds are from a Buck Whitetail breeding a Mulie Doe,

Buckman
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Default breeding

Bow hunting I've found Mulies in the rut as early as late Oct. Seems they will last longer than a whitetail rut though. Don't know why, maybe the weather/ temp etc but be prepared for big deer, wt seem to me to be at least a couple of weeks later maybe have to put your time in where your hunting to find out for sure. good luck.