Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2023, 10:39 AM

Default Thank you ACA - Pheasant Release Program

Just want to give a shout out to ACA for not only keeping this program going but making it even better.

Got out last night with my oldest son and our 2 year old Brittany. Her 2nd hunting and she did great. 4 beautiful points but couldn’t get a shot at 2 birds as the foliage is still really thick. Birds are beautiful, healthy, and heavy this year.

Also shout out to Josh at Northern Gun Dogs for his help getting Sophie where she is at.

Be fun and safe at the sites and hopefully meet some of you out at the sites around Edmonton.

Thanks
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3877.jpg (34.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 09-14-2023, 12:00 PM

One of my favorite times of the year.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:32 PM

I had a young hunter out yesterday, we found 5 birds, killed 4, and another hunter is hooked on pointing dogs. The young man earned his 25 straight patch at skeet two weeks ago, and he shot excellent, on some tough shots in the brush.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:54 PM

Some beautiful Spaniels there fellows!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2023, 06:01 PM

Default Way to go Elk!!!

Training hunters to shoot! What a novel idea! I'm so glad that you are passing on your skill, we need more hunters and ones that can shoot is a great addition.

To your young friend, welcome to the hobby, if you don't smoke you have a good chance of breaking 100.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:33 PM

agreed, it is a great program. I actually saw one of the melanistic ones walk through the yard the other day near Edmonton... by the time I got the safe open long gone :-)

A few females still kicking around daily here too.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:17 PM

Absolutely Simpatico, thanks for pointing out the opportunity we are very lucky to have!!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2023, 12:40 PM

Please obey the signs to not block the access gate to the release site, I had to explain to an individual , that without access, the release truck can't emter to release birds. And wouldn't you know it, an hour after he moved his truck, the release truck showed up.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:08 PM

Was everyone just waiting at the gait for the truck to back up and release the birds again .
You think it would be more fair to have each zone closed on the day the birds get release and have a 24 hr chance for them to look for some cover . Kinda of sounds like a pen hunt for elk in Saskatchewan or shopping at superstore .

Last edited by -JR-; 09-23-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Was everyone just waiting at the gait for the truck to back up and release the birds again .
You think it would be more fair to have each zone closed on the day the birds get release and have a 24 hr chance for them to look for some cover . Kinda of sounds like a pen hunt for elk in Saskatchewan or shopping at superstore .
Nobody was waiting at the gate. We had been out 1-1/2 hours, and were just headed to our trucks, when they released. The crowd wasn't that large, and we just moved back across the creek and waited with two other people for the truck to leave. Ten minutes after the truck left, it was quiet, and everyone left, as a couple of new vehicles rolled in.
Old 09-23-2023, 03:31 PM

I had a lovely morning with an old friend and his dog. My son got called in to work, so I took his dog, while my Lab slept in the truck. Worked hard for over two hours in some thick cover, but in the end we got our birds, and my son's pup had a stellar day. Great morning to be alive.

Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I had a lovely morning with an old friend and his dog. My son got called in to work, so I took his dog, while my Lab slept in the truck. Worked hard for over two hours in some thick cover, but in the end we got our birds, and my son's pup had a stellar day. Great morning to be alive.

Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
The little girl did great, and the crowd was actually not bad for a Saturday. I imagine the afternoon got very busy, when word of the release got out. It was nice to get in the hunting before the release, and the resulting showed up.
Old 09-23-2023, 07:34 PM

This is a wonderful program. I’m brand new to hunting and today was my second time out and first time to bag one. Missed one on a flush in thick bush and pulled a rookie move with another by still having the safety on when I pulled the trigger.
But all in all a beautiful day in nature and I seemed to have the quarter section all to myself for at least 90 minutes.
(And of course I’m in my phone so it’s impossible to upload the photo from today).
Old 09-23-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mse View Post
This is a wonderful program. I’m brand new to hunting and today was my second time out and first time to bag one. Missed one on a flush in thick bush and pulled a rookie move with another by still having the safety on when I pulled the trigger.
But all in all a beautiful day in nature and I seemed to have the quarter section all to myself for at least 90 minutes.
(And of course I’m in my phone so it’s impossible to upload the photo from today).
Hell ya! It’s a great program to be able to get out and enjoy a leisurely walk in lovely fall colors, coupled with a chance to bring home two delicious birds.

Thank you, ACA. Please find another site west of Edmonton if you can. Capital Power is too busy, and not a great site to begin with.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:48 PM

Having harvested an elk early and with a full freezer, planning on spending much more time pheasant hunting in November.

Snuck out today for a couple hours and was able to get my second melanistic pheasant.

DR

Old 11-05-2023, 06:21 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Great organization that does a good job. Without them there wouldn’t be near the opportunity there is.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:34 AM

There appeared to be some issues with bird shortages toward the end , and no melanistic birds in the north, but once again, it was nice to have the opportunity to get out with friends, to run our dogs on pheasants close to home.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:56 PM

Default Newbies Success

My second to last time out. Sophie and I were joined by a Dad and son who got their first pheasant.

They both loved watching the dog work and they are hooked. To the point of maybe getting a Brittany pup themselves next year. Young Caden was so excited about his day that he called all his friends to tell them all about it. Sophie has a couple of new fans!

Already looking forward to 2024 releases.

Thanks
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4259.jpg (31.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4859.jpg (29.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:23 PM

The pheasant releases are pretty much over even for the Southern release sites. Looks like they ran out of birds.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:53 AM

Default Provincial releases worse than

last year,along with evening releases creating a predator feeding program. Sometimes 4-5 days between planting and several hundreds of dollars later wasting gas by seasons end. Why don't they buy and release hens in central AB they are put and take anyways you would get more birds for the buck.Well fed owls,hawks ,coyotes and foxes.

Last edited by Pioneer2; 11-19-2023 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:33 PM

Despite some of the drawbacks, I am extremely thankful for the ACA pheasant release program. I am sure that there is a huge cost to this program which is not fully funded by pheasant license purchases each year; so I am thankful for the additional put and take opportunity of the program.

Guessing there will always be issues with predators, but it seems to me the release properties with really good pheasant cover have far fewer predator issues. I am wondering if its more a reflection of releases in areas which should not have pheasants, but at least gives gives an opportunity to exercise dogs and kids as well as gives us hope that we put up a cagey rooster .

DR
Old 11-26-2023, 06:36 PM

Far worse ways to spend a day. This pic was from when the releases were still going in early November, worked hard but did find one of our last roosters.

Thanks ACA!

DR