Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 06:38 AM

And around and around...
I think the comment made about BC and no ice fishing was directed to aerated lakes. Spurly doesn't state that but an easy conclusion given what we are talking about on this thread. So for safety reasons, this makes sense.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:40 AM

I really enjoyed fishing Police this year, it produced some decent fish. It was busy all season, but I think Covid made most of my regular spots busy this year with people having their travel choices limited.

We didn't always catch a lot of fish, but sure caught some nice fish this year, so if the intent for Police was to have a "Quality Fishery", it's working. My buddy and I went to Police on Oct. 15 to get one last time out before it started to ice up and before hunting season got underway - buddy caught this pig on our last day, and this was probably the biggest fish caught between the two of us all year.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It will be a shame if there is another winter kill this year - they've stocked it a few times since the big winter kill so there are at least 3 different sizes of fish that we caught in 2020.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:18 AM

Interesting that the amount of deaths from people drowning near or at aerators on frozen lakes is exceptionally low but somehow draws huge concern. On the other hand dozens of people drown at open unfrozen waterbodies all the time but little concern and few if any lawsuits or regulations. Why are they targeting aerators and not allowing them. If they wanted to save people from drowning you would think they would ban watercraft, boat docks, diving rafts, beaches, ice fishing shacks etc.. This whole thing about aerators is an absurd insane knee jerk reaction.

The fishing community should go over the heads at ACA and lobby gov't officials to put an end to this ridiculous nonsense.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So you believe bait should be used everywhere...rivers, creeks and lakes because bait fishermen all buy licenses?
Not at all.

I simply said a Put-and-Take stocked trout fishery should be open to everyone, ice fishermen included. Put-and-Take stocked trout fisheries are funded through licence fees and taxpayer dollars...the $ from an ice fisherman has exactly the same worth as the $ from a fly fisherman.

Who are fly fishermen to exclude ice fishermen from the same man-made reservoirs for the same Put-and-Take stocked trout?

Last edited by shep dog; 11-12-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
The fishing community should go over the heads at ACA and lobby gov't officials to put an end to this ridiculous nonsense.
Good luck with that.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
Not at all.

I simply said a Put-and-Take stocked trout fishery should be open to everyone, ice fishermen included. Put-and-Take stocked trout fisheries are funded through licence fees and taxpayer dollars...the $ from an ice fisherman has exactly the same worth as the $ from a fly fisherman.

Who are fly fishermen to exclude ice fishermen from the same man-made reservoirs for the same Put-and-Take stocked trout?
It isnt a fly fisherman only lake. I am an ice fisherman and I get to fish Police Lake, just not during hard water.

Lots of places to fish. If you want to.

I keep very few fish in a year even though I pay for them too. A lot of years were spent fishing Walleye and did not fish for trout at all. But I still helped pay for the put and take fishery. Glad we have it. And its nice to see some quality fisheries too. But thats what sportsmen do, share the resources.

And as noted winter fishing creates additional problems. Not just bait related, because bait could be banned for winter fishing too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Not at all.

Management plans are directed appropriately both protect fisheries and maximize value for the anglers.

Anglers want variety and many as noted above desire quality. In order to do this they didn’t make all fisheries quality but just a few with appropriate regulations and management requirements.

So for you to then infer all fisheries need to be the same...stock 8 inch trout...kill 5 eight inch trout a day on my limit and repeat doesn’t meet the request of license holders.

Those seeking a straight put and fish out take lake...there are far more of them around to meet that requirement.

So it would seem you are biased. An ice fisherman should have priority over an open water fisherman who seeks more quality fish.

How is that any but selfish versus fair?

I would also say that you, and everyone else angling wishes to fish where there are fish to catch. A classic example is Mount Loretta ponds.

From stocking to two weeks after it is a constant stream of people coming, killing their limit and sometimes coming back the same day. After two weeks. No fish are left. Only people who don’t have a clue what’s happened continue to try and fish there. So from you perspective...as long as you can ice fish it...that is a well managed system?

Seems like either you are trying to push button or simply fail to see a one type lake management style doesn’t fit for every lake.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-13-2020, 04:25 PM

Shep dog doesn’t apologize for his comments.
He basically said I was lying when I said the Govt stocked 100,000 each year and when he was provided by the Govt records showing stockings of 130,000 not a word.
Just another idiot troller.

Don
Old 11-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Sundance, great post and bang on about how I feel about quality lakes. Nice way to sum it up.

Shep may not appreciate your view point but I do.

P.S. I think Don has added some truths.
Troller as a troller does
Old 11-13-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Management plans are directed appropriately both protect fisheries and maximize value for the anglers.
If management plans are, as you said, "directed appropriately," what's the reason behind this thread? Sour grapes?

Quote:
Anglers want variety and many as noted above desire quality. In order to do this they didn’t make all fisheries quality but just a few with appropriate regulations and management requirements.
Do you claim to speak for anglers' wants, ice fishermen included? Sorry, I believe the ACA has a far more educated opinion.

Quote:
So for you to then infer all fisheries need to be the same...stock 8 inch trout...kill 5 eight inch trout a day on my limit and repeat doesn’t meet the request of license holders.
No inference made. I never mentioned size or daily limits on stocked Put-and-Take fisheries in man-made reservoirs. The fact is a $ from a fly fisherman is worth the same $ received from an ice fisherman

Quote:
Those seeking a straight put and fish out take lake...there are far more of them around to meet that requirement.
Nothing more than your opinion.

Quote:
So it would seem you are biased. An ice fisherman should have priority over an open water fisherman who seeks more quality fish.
Biased against who? I never said an ice fisherman should have "priority" over an "open water" fisherman. My argument is that a stocked Put-and-Take fishery in a man-made reservoir paid for with licence fees and taxpayer dollars should be open to everyone.

Quote:

I would also say that you, and everyone else angling wishes to fish where there are fish to catch. A classic example is Mount Loretta ponds.

From stocking to two weeks after it is a constant stream of people coming, killing their limit and sometimes coming back the same day. After two weeks. No fish are left. Only people who don’t have a clue what’s happened continue to try and fish there.
And those fish are from stocked Put-and-Take fisheries.

Quote:
So from you perspective...as long as you can ice fish it...that is a well managed system?
Not at all.

Quote:
Seems like either you are trying to push button or simply fail to see a one type lake management style doesn’t fit for every lake.
My dissenting opinion, nothing more.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:

From stocking to two weeks after it is a constant stream of people coming, killing their limit and sometimes coming back the same day. After two weeks. No fish are left. Only people who don’t have a clue what’s happened continue to try and fish there. So from you perspective...as long as you can ice fish it...that is a well managed system?

He is just flat out trolling now, you will not change his mind.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
His responses are far from trolling. That’s the first bull poop response around here every time someone has a different opinion...
Old 11-14-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
If management plans are, as you said, "directed appropriately," what's the reason behind this thread? Sour grapes?
No, the original reason was end of aeration and sharing ideas on what can be done differently to not end aeration. Sounds like a lot of anglers want a quality fishery like Police. The busy parking lot a testament to it. The pictures posted even a better testament to what that lake can produce - impressive!

Quote:
Do you claim to speak for anglers' wants, ice fishermen included? Sorry, I believe the ACA has a far more educated opinion.
Great, then educated people should be able to figure this dilemma out. Thanks for confirming that they "should" be capable.

Quote:
No inference made. I never mentioned size or daily limits on stocked Put-and-Take fisheries in man-made reservoirs. The fact is a $ from a fly fisherman is worth the same $ received from an ice fisherman
No one has disagreed with this, but, you keep bringing it up. The only reason ice fishing is involved is to due the inherent danger of thin ice due to aeration. Nothing more, nothing less. Quit trying to twist it in another direction.

Quote:
Nothing more than your opinion.
As is your opinion. The unfortunate part is that you stated your opinion back on page 1. What else do you want to disagree with before this discussion gets back to the original topic - though probably the discussion has been killed by your overbearing comments on pretty much anyone that disagrees with your opinion. Thanks for that...

If your done now, please be done and move on. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
His responses are far from trolling. That’s the first bull poop response around here every time someone has a different opinion...
Its great that he has a different opinion then the majority of others on this lake. But the reasoning for the regulations of this lake have been explained to him several times and he still continues to go on about it. His dissenting view on this lake will not change, the supporters views of this lake will not change, therefore at this point he is just trying to argue with people as seen in the post above. It's literally the definition of internet trolling.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its great that he has a different opinion then the majority of others on this lake. But the reasoning for the regulations of this lake have been explained to him several times and he still continues to go on about it. His dissenting view on this lake will not change, the supporters views of this lake will not change, therefore at this point he is just trying to argue with people as seen in the post above. It's literally the definition of internet trolling.
Sundance asked him questions, he responded. They don’t agree.

That’s not trolling, give your head a shake.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Yup. See that now based upon his response. Not worth a reply.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
In no way, shape, or form am I a "troll." I have a genuine interest in how the ACA spends it's budget.

Please explain to me how aerating stocked Put-and-Take fisheries achieves anything more than growing non-reproductive fish before the stocking truck arrives. Moreover, only for a select group of fishermen, since ice fishermen may need to be excluded.

Please bear in mind, your definition of a "quality" fishery may not be the same as my mine, but our $$$ have the same value.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:49 PM

BTW, I've never spent a minute ice fishing, but I would like to try it. The ACA might give me and others that opportunity, some of you may not.

Last edited by shep dog; 11-19-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:20 AM

It was apparent that many spin/fly fisherman are keen to have access to stocked trout that are over 18" based on the significant use of Police this past season.
The reduced stocking rate at a Quality Fishery should provide significant savings for the ACA budget as they are not stocking 30,000+ fish yearly anymore. It is unfortunate that there is so much resistance to having a very small number of lakes with some big fish.
I guess folks looking for quality fish will have to go back to travelling across provincial borders to other jurisdictions.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
It was apparent that many spin/fly fisherman are keen to have access to stocked trout that are over 18" based on the significant use of Police this past season.
The reduced stocking rate at a Quality Fishery should provide significant savings for the ACA budget as they are not stocking 30,000+ fish yearly anymore. It is unfortunate that there is so much resistance to having a very small number of lakes with some big fish.
I guess folks looking for quality fish will have to go back to travelling across provincial borders to other jurisdictions.
Good comments and points Goldscud.

This seems limited to Police ...and that sucks for sure...but there are more quality fisheries now overall. And that I am happy about and will keep you hitting up some of those lakes this winter and open water times. That is what I want with my license dollars and I'm glad to see this change. Not to mentioned the variety for multi-species. Police aside, I'm pretty positive about the change for Alberta.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
BTW, I've never spent a minute ice fishing, but I would like to try it. The ACA might give me and others that opportunity, some of you may not.
Quit stirring the pot with these comments and move on. No one has said this but you, and you continue to imply it. Most of the posters on this thread fish these lakes ice or open water. It is about safety and aeration not happening for weak reasons. Not sure about the latest at Police and what the reason is but it really is too bad for those that have come to appreciate it.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Quit stirring the pot with these comments and move on. No one has said this but you, and you continue to imply it. Most of the posters on this thread fish these lakes ice or open water. It is about safety and aeration not happening for weak reasons. Not sure about the latest at Police and what the reason is but it really is too bad for those that have come to appreciate it.
I didn't imply anything. I believe I have been forthright.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I didn't imply anything. I believe I have been forthright.
Only in your own mind.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Only in your own mind.
Well, please correct my reasoning.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Well, please correct my reasoning.
You win the special Olympics Shep, thanks for coming out.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I have a genuine interest in how the ACA spends it's budget
Facts:
1) The ACA did not stock Police Outpost this year....AEP did
2) ACA only stocked a total of 103,255 trout in 2019
3) Very very little of the ACA's budget goes to stocking fish
4) The ACA gave out a grant for "Environmental, genetic, and social influences on sex ratio in the boreal ant (Formica podzolica)"...among others...

Source;
The latest ACA annual report;
https://www.ab-conservation.com/down...ual_report.pdf
Old 11-20-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
The reduced stocking rate at a Quality Fishery should provide significant savings for the ACA budget
Please see my post above...
Old 11-21-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You win the special Olympics Shep, thanks for coming out.
That comment is beneath me. I've been called far worse things by far better men.

I'll add to the list of "facts" flyrodfisher provided.

5) The ACA has a budget.
6) The ACA has a mandate.
7) The ACA does not take directions from amateur fishery biologists.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the update flyrodfisher.
I haven't looked into where the government money gets allocated.
I imagine a quality fishery south of Calgary would be appreciated by many.

I agree, it is good to see some better lakes north of Calgary.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I haven't looked into where the government money gets allocated.
This may help;
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=379631