Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2022, 02:02 PM

Default High Gloss Rifle Scopes

From what I know there is no high end maker, that produces high gloss scopes any more. Does anyone know of a way to make a Matte one into a High Gloss. I was thinking along the lines of powder coating or something similar. There is still a need for great scopes that match up to high end finished guns like Dakota. Browning, Weatherby etc and the old gloss scopes are way over shadowed by the performance of new high tech glass.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:42 PM

Could try Korth possibly. It used to be an option prior to them closing the custom shop.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Could one maybe just apply a thin glossy clear coat over the matte finish? We do it all the time with wheels. Not sure if there is anything that would make that a bad idea for a scope though. Just trying to think out of the box lol
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 02-26-2022, 03:36 PM

I would never buy a high gloss big game rifle, so I hadn't really been paying attention to high gloss scopes. I guess that they weren't selling so the manufacturers stopped making them.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
From what I know there is no high end maker, that produces high gloss scopes any more. Does anyone know of a way to make a Matte one into a High Gloss. I was thinking along the lines of powder coating or something similar. There is still a need for great scopes that match up to high end finished guns like Dakota. Browning, Weatherby etc and the old gloss scopes are way over shadowed by the performance of new high tech glass.
Yah they are hard find, glad I found a couple Leopold gloss at P@D years ago because my wife and mine Browning Medallions wouldn't look right with flat scopes.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:04 PM

I have a few older gloss ones but the new hd glass and coatings are a big step up. I am going to call Korth Monday and see if I can still get one out of the custom shop in the States. Was hoping someone knew of a high end maker I had missed or found a way to put a gloss finish on current scopes.

Bob
The gloss clear coat on wheels, is it bake on or just spray on. Might be an option if it doesn't have to be baked too hot.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:36 PM

Love the older Leupolds with the gloss finish. The old rifles just don't look the same carrying a matte version. Walked away from a VX-2 gloss at auction last week when the bids got silly. If it had been the long range version I'd have stayed in. Still the best reticle I've used.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:58 AM

Red Dot Customs out of Vanderhoof BC might be able to gloss a scope up for you.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:59 AM

Came across this but not sure if it’s available still or if gloss is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2258.jpg (10.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Came across this but not sure if it’s available still or if gloss is an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting that. If Korth doesn't work out I will check Schmit.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would never buy a high gloss big game rifle, so I hadn't really been paying attention to high gloss scopes. I guess that they weren't selling so the manufacturers stopped making them.
They look good on safe queens.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-27-2022, 12:36 PM

Mine all get to go hunting pretty regularly. Wood and gloss or kevlar and stainless, I tend to not beat on my rifles, or any other equipment for that matter. I have no issues taking a high finish multi thousand dollar gun hunting. You look at them more than u shoot them.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:48 PM

A matte scope belongs on a piece of plastic shaped like a stock and an iron pipe sticking out of it. I have never worried about spooking an animal because my pink face or shiny scope or deluxe high grain wood stock or high blue barrel reflects some light. We are not camouflaged warriors fighting a war, lol. Any way each to their own. Fortunately I have a sufficient stash of high gloss scopes but it would be interesting if someone out there can do the conversion.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
A matte scope belongs on a piece of plastic shaped like a stock and an iron pipe sticking out of it. I have never worried about spooking an animal because my pink face or shiny scope or deluxe high grain wood stock or high blue barrel reflects some light. We are not camouflaged warriors fighting a war, lol. Any way each to their own. Fortunately I have a sufficient stash of high gloss scopes but it would be interesting if someone out there can do the conversion.
this!
pretty sure scent trumps vision; matte finish on scopes sucks balls. mark up easy and look like cheap crap; even when they cost $2000 or more. i’d have chrome if it was available!😂

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:48 AM

Thought this response from Korth would be of interest. It appears Leupold in the States still custom makes Gloss scopes, it is just that Korth can't import them right now. Could not get an answer at the Cerakote place yet this morning but I am going to check and see if they can gloss an existing scope. Good to know there is at least a place to get a much tougher finish than the silly and delicate Matt finish most scopes have now.

Quote:
Dean,

Unfortunately we are not able to bring in the custom scopes from Leupold at this time. We recommend Black Box Customs in Calgary for Cerakote but I am unsure if they can do a gloss finish. You can reach them at 403-470-8802.

Thank you,

William Swan

Korth Group

Phone: 403-938-3255
Address: 64186 393 Loop E, Okotoks AB T1S 0L1
Old 03-02-2022, 06:40 PM

What rifle is this gloss scope planned for?

Would enjoy seeing some photos!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
What rifle is this gloss scope planned for?

Would enjoy seeing some photos!
Just gathering the final pieces. This one is still being built.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Just gathering the final pieces. This one is still being built.
If you're looking for a real tough, glossy finish, Endura has an excellent polyurathane clear coat.