Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 01:26 AM

Default suspressors, You guys will be envious.

Back in the old homeland, for the first winter in 17 years, due to the slowdown and no work, ah the life of a contractor.
A very pleasant change in life style, and much improved quality of life.
Getting lots of hunting and fishing in over the New Zealand summer. marlin and tuna are off the coast, 22 striped marlin landed last Sunday. so far they have eluded me, not so the kingfish, tuna and sharks,
Just got five rifles back from threading and suppressor installs,
.17 hornet Cz, 17 fireball Sako, 2506 Sako, .264 win and 7x57 M70.
Have installed DPT modular over barrel suppressors, these weigh about 260grams, and install 4" frd of the muzzle and have 4" rear of the muzzle. I also have a rim fire one, for use on the .22 mag or .17 hornet.
The .17 hornet and fireball both threaded the same, so I can put on the .17 cal DPT five baffle, on either, 2506 has a DPT .25-6.5, and I have a .270-7mm one coming for the two Winchester's, as they are both threaded the same, and the Sako has a bigger thread, and thus wont fit the .264 win.

The .17 hornet was so quite with the DPT, .17 cal that the first time I fired it, during sighting in checks, I pulled the bolt, as I thought I had forgotten powder, its aursum, makes less noise that a .22 with subs, I did order an extra baffle, for the .17 cal to get it as quite as possible.
Going to get a couple more rifles threaded, .260, and chop one down to 15" or so, that a Can, (suppressor) is installed, almost touching the stock for a bush rifle. most likely my older Push feed featherweight in 7x57, or sell it for a 308.
hunting's been great, got a few goats, and couple meat deer now, and off for a hunt this weekend, if I get the broken axle in my truck fixed in time, last weekends, hunting trip was a washout because of it, luckily happened close to home, the joys of an old vehicle,

Last edited by southernman; 02-16-2016 at 01:41 AM. Reason: missing a word. and info
Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 AM

Truly a more civilized land! Sounds like a great time man, New Zealand must be a sportsman's paradise
Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 AM

Glad to hear all is well down there, i've been putting all the goodies I got from you to good use .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-16-2016, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Yep wish we could have those installed on our firearms, don't need a big explosion echoing across the land just a phhhht and a flop!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Banned

I must admit to being a bit envious of your location, the fishing and all that you are enjoying. However the suppressors aren't my cup of tea, but to each their own. You are enjoying the fruits of your hard work in Ft. Mac and that is priceless.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM

A soup can on the end of my gun isn't what I would like, I like my rifles short
Old 02-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Banned

^^^ It surely makes them look out a balance. And I bet you that they feel out of balance too. Besides, I like to hear my guns bark.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
^^^ It surely makes them look out a balance. And I bet you that they feel out of balance too. Besides, I like to hear my guns bark.
The one i borrowed from the outfitter for my stag hunt was quite balanced They still bark a little , it just seems to come from everywhere
Old 02-16-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A soup can on the end of my gun isn't what I would like, I like my rifles short
There are ways around that. It's possible to design a silencer that encompasses the barrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUALdGog4U
Old 02-16-2016, 05:40 PM

I also like the bark

Glad you are having a good time. I too am envious. Do you think you will ever be back up to our fair country?
Old 02-16-2016, 05:49 PM

Very jealous. Might have to wander down there some day.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
In some ways it does, I don't always use one, but their are times when its very nice to have the option,
Generally you would chop of sum of the barrel, the amount the silencer extends forward of the muzzle, so say in the case of a DPT 4".
But it depends on cal a lot, any 308 biased case, can be chopped to 14-16" and with a Can, (silencer) are 18-20" in barrel length, normally balance very well, as suspressor weight is very close to the weight removed of barrel.

Varmint rifles I keep them std, as your trying for speed, like wise the 2506 and .264 are hampered, with any shorter barrel, and you get flame cutting and greatly shortened suppressor life, from too short a barrel, on top of reduced performance.
My ears, the dogs ears, and not disturbing game, stock, and anyone living close buy are advantages. and the hunting rules are a bit different here, so not having a bloody grate boom, from an un moderated rifle, may allow you to shot a second, third or fourth deer, pig etc, for the freezer.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I also like the bark

Glad you are having a good time. I too am envious. Do you think you will ever be back up to our fair country?
Yea, mate for sure, I am Canadian and proud of that, have a son, who I miss a great deal, but life isn't always fair for fathers.
But its been time for a few changes, I been overseas for 20 years, the old man is 79 now, still healthy, but for how long, I slogged my guts out for 15 years in Ft Mac and the NWT, time for more, me time, and better quality of life.
I was hoping to get this winter in, and tidy and sell house summer 2016, but like thousands of others, its been a tough run, for the last year or so, and changes, have been forced, on many of us,
I am enjoying working, and living more than I have in years, its 2min to work, and 500m to the beach here, I haven't been in New Zealand for longer than few weeks at a time, in 20 years, and am realizing, how great a place it is, for an outdoors type of girl or guy,