Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Default service bill

Many years ago I was a green horn in the service dept at a new car dealership and a gal I knew brought her car in for service. We chatted and I reviewed the recommended service with her but all she wanted was an oil change. Long and short she got the full service and hit the roof when she came n to get her car. Baecause all she wanted was an oil change that was all she got charged for. Dealership ate the extra expense and we wont talk about what was fed to me. Stand up to this because they did more than was asked for. Also, go back to the credit card co. and tell them the charge is incorrect.

Geo
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM

It would be nice to see a detailed list of the items charged out before making any snap judgments.
I can understand the oil change on those things being a little more considering it takes around 2 gal of oil, synthetic adds a few sheckles too, but only every 12,000 km or so, however $434 seems high. Did they charge out the labor time to change the cabin air filter (HVAC filter)? Did they charge extra for the inspection? How much labor did they charge out for the actual oil change? Did they do a tire rotation?
From what I've seen dealerships usually charge labor time per item, for example book time for that would be 0.5 R&R Cabin Filter, 0.6 R&R Oil Filter, combination time R&R Engine Oil 0.2 which would equal 1.3 book time. Now i'm not saying it actually takes that long and that it's fair to charge that way, but thats usually how they do it. Normally they charge another 0.5 to do an inspection and 0.3 to rotate tires so "book time" comes closer to 2.1 hrs. Oodles of noodles for them.
Mind you I wouldn't recommend a quicky lube either, but then again where ever you take it is your choice.
Oh and a quick note, the BBB can do FA to resolve your issue with them if they are not a member, if your problems are not resolved directly dealing with the dealership, contact the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC). They are the ones that act as a mediator between customers and automotive repair facilities in Alberta. They have the power to do something.
Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM

Imports are always going to be more expensive for regular maintence. Sucks but its true. Back before I went to college I worked at a lube shop in red deer. I'd regularily see guys come in and drop 5-600$ on their trucks. Full synthetic oilchanges, drivelines, fuel filters air filters ect.. IT adds up quick especially since some of these newer vehicles require specific motor oil and of course that will cost extra.... After working there and seeing how they could work their magic and get people to buy things that werent needed, I do the majority of my regular maintence myself. If people only knew how easy it is and were willing to get a little bit dirty.

Goodluck getting your $$ back OP
Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver77 View Post
Mercedes synthethic oil change can exceed $200.
On Friday I paid just over a hundred bucks for an oil change on my 07 Passat.

6 liters synthetic, filter, top up fluids and brake inspection. Brakes btw are $250 a corner.

If your wife signed a repair order stating only an oil change that's all you should be required to pay for. Anything else would be unauthorized work and not your responsibilty. Check to make sure the signed repair order says 'oil change' and not 'xxxxx km service'. The 'xxxxx km service' will include everything Volvo thinks you need at that interval.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Had a 4 cyl years ago with the plugs right at the the front, easy to get at. They wanted to charge me $140 to do a minor tune up. Said it took 1 hour to change 4 spark plugs when it would only take about 10 mins. Turned out that they were going by the hours and stuff in the Chilton book. After calling
El-Toro, Poh-Poh to the manager he droped the bill down to $75 were it should be. The Chilton books hours includes stuff like polishing the seats in the head were the plugs screw in and no service department does that. Dont let some of those departments take advantage of you.
Had an 1978 cordoba one spring with a sraping noise in the front end. I looked under the front end and it was the little tin pc that protects rocks from hitting the front brake disc, had rusted one screw. Took it to midas muff as I did not want to crawl in the water under the car. Well after 20 mins on the lift they said it was going to be $500. All kinds of parts needed replaceing. I said show me and we went out to the car. After a couple of mins of him explaining what was wrong I asked for his gloves, reached up and riped the pc off, took me 10 seconds. That is all I wanted done and said %&%&%& put the car down and I will never ever bring my car in here again.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Last fall my check engine light came on and by typing in my symptoms the net decided that my manifold intake runner was stuck open. So I take in to the stealership on Edmonton’s 34 ave auto row to confirm this by pulling the code. The very helpful young lady across the counter informs me that for $199.00 they perform a 250 point check and for another $199.00 they will actually go in and pin-point the problem not just read a vague code….O.K…. Three days later I return and am presented with a $4800.00 estimate!! I very nearly pooped myself! That’s almost a third of what the vehicle lists for! Here’s what they came up with. Change the intake manifold runner (the estimate had the code with the explanation intake manifold runner stuck open no one actually removed my manifold to check), Change all pads and rotors as one rotor was warped (I knew this) but they did not know which one so all needed to go, Blow out the dust between the rads, perform an engine induction service (read sea-foam treatment), change the plugs, oil and lube. I treat my truck like gold, regular oil/fluid changes, only hi-test shell fuel, I keep it very clean and I never bag it. Anyhoo I take it home, do some research and long story short do everything on the list myself for about $450.00 (not including the $465.00 at the stealership) total. This included all brake pads and rotors (slotted and drilled), one new caliper (the old one was finicky), new plugs (that’s another story), oil change, cleaning between the rads, sea-foam injection and reaching behind the manifold to unstuck the runner with my fingers, cleaning off the carbon that was sticking it up and lubing it. I spent a total of about two days on this so I am sure a journeyperson could have completed it in a shift. It’s been six months now and I have not had a problem with it all winter, it runs like a dream. It’s too bad that the stealerships treat their customers like this when the public bailed out the failing auto industry not so long ago. So I guess the morale of the story is do your homework buy some tools and help a brother out.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 AM

Crazy, owning just dodges I've taken them to dealership here in Calgary and the one in okotoks for oil changes and thats all they do, or anything else I asked.

Anything else I've had looked at there they tell me what it's going to cost to look at it, then call me and tell me what that will cost before doing it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
Crazy, owning just dodges I've taken them to dealership here in Calgary and the one in okotoks for oil changes and thats all they do, or anything else I asked.

Anything else I've had looked at there they tell me what it's going to cost to look at it, then call me and tell me what that will cost before doing it.
Glad you found a couple good ones. Don't fool yourself into thinking domestic dealers/service are any better though as whole. Have a friend that worked at one in southern AB and they would do rear and front differential changes on two wheel drive vehicles all the time for unknowing people, total crooks.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
I will see how it turns out and if it doesnt pan out well, I will do so. Thanks FishingMom!
I checked with him this morning and he said he will review the bill for you.
Just send it to me and I will ensure that he gets it.

JEN
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

that's some expensive oil
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM

Northland VW tried this with my wife on her Jetta TDI. We don't live in Calgary so we dropped if off the evening before with instructions to just do an oil change. This was early in the cars life so she wanted to do the dealership thing to keep the warranty... Well, the bill ended up about 4 times what it should have been when we picked it up. Most of the extra charges were for "inspections." I told the guy to charge me for an oil change and we'll be on our way. He refused and wouldn't give me her keys.

After some choice words back and forth, I told him I was calling the police to report a stolen vehicle. Before I could finish dialing, the service manager was out there and changing the bill. I do all my basic maintenance myself now.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Here's the deal, my wife signed off the work order which stipulated that is was indeed a 12,000 service and not just an oil change. I guess we won't be doing that again will we, honey!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM

so what did they all do?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM

That's a big BS. They clearly cheated on her and you should demand your money back.
Here is the OFFICIAL 12,000Km (7500Mi) service from Volvo - for a 2010 model XC90. (note how many filters has to be replaced or even just inspected - only the oil filter!)

7500 MI or 12000 KM
Check
Brake Fluid
Check: Brake fluid level

Brake Pad
Check: Brake pads

Coolant
Check: Coolant level (adjust if nec)

Fluids
Check automatic transmission fluid level ONLY if an external leak is identified.

Power Steering Fluid
Check: Power steering fluid level (adjust if nec)

Tires
Check: Tire pressure, wear and condition

Washer Fluid
Check: Washer fluid level (adjust if nec)

Wiper Blade
Check: Wiper blades - All

Clean
Windshield
Clean: Inside of windshield in front of camera (vehicle with camera for collision warning)

Inspect
Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
Check automatic transmission fluid level only if an external leak is identified.

Replace
Engine Oil

Oil Filter, Engine

Reset
Service Reminder Indicators
Reset: Service Reminder Indicator (SRI)

They should advice her if any additional work is required and the dealership needs her authorization, otherwise you can decline the payment.
The problem is that most dealership makes up their own "modified" scheduled services, which includes a lot more than the recommended factory one - for the sole purpose of make extra $.
Pull out your owners manual and check the Service Guide and see what's due at 12,000Km.
Cabin air filter (pollen filter) is due at 24,000Km - if you want I can post that service out of the OFFICIAL Volvo maintenance guide.
Believe it or not, air filters are due at every 60,000Km and there is no dust in AB for like 6 months..... fuel filter is due at 192,000Km.
Our shop specializing on Volvo - among other high-end European cars . We do follow the REAL service schedule and advise clients if anything else is recommended or required and won't touch those without authorization. We also keep all the replaced parts for their inspection.

Hunter

BTW, I strongly recommend to use full synthetic motor oil, the best would be a Mobil1 0W40 in Canada.