Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Default just had my eye's done at Lasik !!

Been 3 days, my sight is clear faraway, great for hunting.

But my close in view really sucks!!

Got tired of wearing glasses for hunting!!

I hope it settles down after they heal. I do realize I'll need reading glasses, but it's pretty foggy right now!

Anyone else have theirs done?

Last edited by BrownBear416; 03-20-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM

A buddy of mine had it done, they got better but only lasted 10 years, then he was back to reading glasses again.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 PM

I had mine done 3 years ago. My close up vision used to be good but not now. I have trouble threading line through the eyes of hooks which was never a problem before. My night vision is still good though,but I do see a little bit of glow around streetlamps which I never did before.

I still am very glad that I had it done though. I can wear whatever sunglasses I want. I can see stuff in the middle of the night without bumbling for my glasses. No more dry contacts or that tearing feeling when I pulled them off my eyeballs! LOL! The positives far outweigh the negatives;at least for me they do.

BTW chewydog, make sure you keep up with all the eye drop prescriptions you've been given. I know it can be a pain but definitely worth it.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
I had mine done 3 years ago. My close up vision used to be good but not now. I have trouble threading line through the eyes of hooks which was never a problem before. My night vision is still good though,but I do see a little bit of glow around streetlamps which I never did before.

I still am very glad that I had it done though. I can wear whatever sunglasses I want. I can see stuff in the middle of the night without bumbling for my glasses. No more dry contacts or that tearing feeling when I pulled them off my eyeballs! LOL! The positives far outweigh the negatives;at least for me they do.

BTW chewydog, make sure you keep up with all the eye drop prescriptions you've been given. I know it can be a pain but definitely worth it.

Yup, been putting in the drops as I was told!! I don't screw with my eye's, I only got 2!!!!!!!

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
Been 3 days, my sight is clear faraway, great for hunting.

But my close in view really sucks!!

Got tired of wearing glasses for hunting!!

I hope it settles down after they heal. I do realize I'll need reading glasses, but it's pretty foggy right now!

Anyone else have theirs done?
Yup, 5 years ago! My glasses looked like the ones Bubbles wore (TPB's)!! 20/15 vision! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!! Quit looking for your glasses when you wake up!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yup, been putting in the drops as I was told!! I don't screw with my eye's, I only got 2!!!!!!!

Thanks for the input!
Rum also helps with the blurry vision!! Halo's around street lights will go away after about 3 weeks!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Default lasik

Had mine done in 97. Supposedly the second procedure of that kind at the Gimbel Eye Center. My correction was 6.25 and 7.25 diopters. It was so crazy to not need glasses after having them for 12 years or so. Woke up for a long time thinking I still needed to look for my glasses and would start feeling/looking around, and worse yet up to only a year or two ago would have dreams that I can't see unless I put my glasses on in my dream(pretty screwed up in subconscious I guess) Had halos for 6 years give or take and then they subsided(as my eyes got older I guess). Unbelieveable freedom for me. I'd never look back, but it'd take me more nerve than I needed back then after hearing some of the botch stories that have occured since I had my done.Worked wonderful for me.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input!
Funny thing; when I was just about to get the actual surgery I asked the surgeon if she had a good night's sleep,was feeling good,didn't have a fight with her husband,or anything like that LOL! She had a laugh too but I still said: "OK, make sure you do a good job."

3 years later, and I still push up on my nose as if my glasses were slipping down.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM

I've got astigmatism in both eyes, -14 in one eye, and -11 in the other.

I got tested out at Lasik and my cornea's are too thin as I'm at the upper range of what is available for surgery.

So, I'm with breatheable soft lenses. It is so nice to not have glasses fog up coming in from the cold, and not having to clean my glasses constantly.

I wish I was eligable for the surgery though.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 PM

I had mine done, but at a significant time interval. My left eye was about 10 times worse than my right. I had it done at Gimbel in early 1997 if I recall correctly. It was the PRK technique that I had performed, and it worked very well. I had my right eye done a number of years later, when the price had subsided where both eyes would have cost what my initial one eye did. I did get a side effect of dry eyes, particularly at night. It would only show up when I was awoken unexpectedly in what I assume to be REM sleep. Opening my eyes then would resuly in horrible pain, as my eyelids were stuck to my eyes, and I probably tore the epithelium membrane. Thats where keeping the drops sure came in handy, I could numb them and get back to sleep. It felt like there was sand in them. The epithelium heals quickly though and I'd be OK the next morning. The drops that helped ended with "caine", so you can imagine they numbed well. When you had them in during sleep the Dr recommended taping on an eye shield, as your eye can be damaged when you can't feel anything on them. (rubbing them in your sleep, etc).

Overall even with the unusual side effect I had, its something I'd do again. There's a lot to be said for not wearing glasses.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
just had my eye's done at Lysak!!
Are you sure that it wasn't Lasik, maybe your vision isn't as clear as you think it is?

Quote:

I got tested out at Lasik and my cornea's are too thin as I'm at the upper range of what is available for surgery.

So, I'm with breatheable soft lenses. It is so nice to not have glasses fog up coming in from the cold, and not having to clean my glasses constantly.

Talk to Gimbels, they offer options that Lasik doesn't, like lens implants, or lens replacement.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM

What kind of price range is a guy looking at, I know it is idfferent for everyone but ive been thinking about getting it done for a while now
Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM

My first eye was $1500, the second was about $800. This was a while ago though, I know prices have dropped. I think the reputable places can do both for under $1500. Obviously eye surgery isn't something you want done too inexpensively.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Talk to Gimbels, they offer options that Lasik doesn't, like lens implants, or lens replacement.
I know one of thier employees quite well. My eyes just are too far gone at present. Technology may catch up eventually though.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Sorry to hear that you can't get it done but you never know what future technology holds.

I had bad astigmatism but not as bad as yours. I was able to have the surgery done about 5 years ago and I went with VisionMed. They had at the time Vancouver location that had newer laser so the sent me over there for actual procedure. My eyesight after surgery was perfect but slowly the astigmatism was creeping back but so far I do not need to wear glasses as of yet. I might need a pair soon for watching TV. I think one eye last year was still 20/20 but the other is about -0.5 or -0.75 (can't remember for sure). I would have done a free touch-up surgery but my cornea is not thick enough for second try and the doctor said the risk would be too high for the small change that I would experience with the second surgery.

Overall I am still very pleased for going ahead with the surgery. Strongly recommend it to the people that can have it done.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
What kind of price range is a guy looking at, I know it is idfferent for everyone but ive been thinking about getting it done for a while now
My was about 5K about five years ago and that was the Custom Scan, which was the most expensive. Plus I was sent to Vancouver with all expenses covered.

I have few family members that had done it locally not to long ago. It will probably cost you about $3000 to $3500 depending on your actual circumstances. If you can afford it, do it as you will be glad you did.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM

yea 3000-5000 not in the budget right now lol, guess i'll stick with glasses.BTW got my last ones from 39dollarglasses.com, was very impressed with quality, and price, $39.00. Dont mean to hijack thread, just taught I would let people know about cheap glasses.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Had both my eyes done at gimbles , Gimble himself fid the operation , one eye on wed , the other on thurs , didnt cost me a penny , l,m a senior and diabetic , thats why , lf your over 65 its free.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Gimbel is $1800 per eye. I checked last week for my wife
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 AM

I had mine done at Gimbel last year and love it. PRK - 1600 per eye. I have trouble reading up close now but they told me I would. Thats a small price to pay to be able to accurately shoot a bow now.... ect ect

I would do it again tomorrow if I had to.

DB
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Gimbel is $1800 per eye. I checked last week for my wife
Gimbel definately isn't the cheapest, and maybe not he best, but it's up there. I used them and am very happy with the results, it's been 4yrs now. They used to have corporate discounts, but you had to ask about them, they didn't bring it up. So depending where you work you can save a fair chunk or could then anyways. My wife works for Capital Health so they put me through on that discount since my employer didn't qualify. I know that Shell had an even better discount.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Had mine done at Mitchell's, twice. After wearing glasses since grade 1, the freedom is the greatest benefit.

I have terribly dry eyes though. Still worth the hassle IMO.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default cateracts

Also if a patient is diagnosed with cateracts its covered by Alberta health
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

I considered it, I have to wear glasses for long distance. But the day of pre-surgery checks, they had me try different glasses to demonstrate what my vision would be like. It made long distacne fine, but close up was terrible. Bottom line is that I'd still have to wear glasses, except now it would be for close-up. Since it wouldn't allow me to get rid of glasses altogether, I opted against it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM

I had my done 1 years ago at Lasik , 3800 with a 5 year guarantee , let me tell you it was worth every penny, i use reading glasses now but at my age thats normal anyways .
Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 AM

I had Lasik done ,wished i would have done PRK because my POOR night vision I have now ****es me off.If i was not really a candidate they should not have done me!! Sure some daytime vision is OK but at night I wear glasses that only helps about 30%.
I now suffer from severe eye Floaters so i have to wear sunglasses in the sunlight anyhow.. The floaters are not a side effect of laser surgery though.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I now suffer from severe eye Floaters so i have to wear sunglasses in the sunlight anyhow.. The floaters are not a side effect of laser surgery though.
Floaters can be removed, some through laser treatment, and some through actual surgery.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM

cost me a touch under 3400 for both eyes! My vision is getting better everyday!!

No regrets!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 PM

Dr Gimbel himself did my two eyes - put in little plastic lenses;
8 to 10 years ago, horbbly expensive: 5 grand.
But can see at distance better, and way better depth perception for walking accross uneven lawn, or pasture (before i couldn't make out shallow hollows when walking.
Needed slight correction glasses right off the bat after the first 5 months, as he said i might, but i like glasses to protect the eyes when atv-ing, or looking out open truck window. He said that many need reading glasses after the proceedure, especially people over midage. Would recommend it.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:21 PM

I had mine done at Lasik last winter...

I have 20/15 vision,top notch day and night vision,never have to use eye drops anymore,no halo's..

I am going for a checkup next month as its time for my yearly checkup..

It cost me 3600 for the full meal deal and I am covered for life..

My only complaint is that my eyes are senstive to bright sunlight but wearing Oakleys is a small price to pay