Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydad View Post
no dish for us, cards, board games,good conversations and laughs, maybe radio, just like the good old days. Premium family time in my opinion, my son beats his teacher playing chess. ( I taught him how to play at night while camping)
My dad thought me to play chess when I was 7 or 8 and I can play not bad. Card games also but I wish he would have been more into outdoors as he has never took us camping or fishing. So I would rather my kids experience outdoors. And other activities while you are out there are a bonus but my first priority is to get the family hooked on outdoors and everything else is secondary.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM

As a young'n I'd ridicule anyone who "needed" more than a sheet of thin poly and a sleeping bag.

As we aged, "the girls" started coming out too.... my buddy included a tent for privacy, and had a better trip than I did.....

It's been downhill(uphill?) ever since.

I tow a 20' trailer for the toys behind the 5th wheel now, with a Honda 2000 gen for the rainy nights and the blender....etc

Can a sat dish be far behind?

Never say never

Cheers, G

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Think its just a generation gap. Us old guys go camping to get rid of the outside world with no electronic gadgets. Solitude, peace and quiet. Young folk these days can't live with out them. Ya see it everyday with the cell phones which every teenager has. I like camping where cell phones don't work. hehe
Agree!

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned

ive considered getting a tripod, but the way the wind blows in alberta im not sure id be happy. i dont like to miss a football game in the summer, and when i go hunting for 3-4 weeks, a little entertainment is nice. i can set up a dish and find signal in under 10 minutes no problem. bell 87 is around 140 degrees anywhere in alberta, and not far off the horizon. like it was said earlier, i cant use the coax cable that came installed on my trailer, so i ran my own. check with your local cable supplier....they usually have a stack of old dishes lying around.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 PM

We all camp as we like... Be it a pimped out rv or a lean too and two sticks rubbed together for fire..

Personally I'm stoked to set the dish up this year at the lake lot. I'm fixing mine to a shed out there.. If your going someplace where you'll be parked for awhile nothing wrong with putting it on a tree is there?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldone View Post
We all camp as we like... Be it a pimped out rv or a lean too and two sticks rubbed together for fire..

Personally I'm stoked to set the dish up this year at the lake lot. I'm fixing mine to a shed out there.. If your going someplace where you'll be parked for awhile nothing wrong with putting it on a tree is there?
no, nothing wrong with a tree. a few years back, i was screwing into a tree in the castle area, when a young girl fish cop came cruising by. she slammed the brakes and backed up to swing into my camp. i figured she might give me grief about the tree, but she was laughing. she wanted to take some pics as she had never seen such a thing. hmmm, it made me realize how new she must be to the job as i know im not the only one who does it. i just use 2 small lag bolts. in one place, i have used the same tree for over 10 years. when i come back, i can see the scar from the last time i was there, but the tree is doing fine.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Default sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
well almost x2, I have a portable DVD player that I throw in to the camping trailer if I'm going to use the trailer, keeps the kids busy on rainy days, and is worth its wieght in gold as long as there busy watching it and not bugging me.

Best investment I ever made ........ can be used in the car, on the plane, in the hotel room, camping ........ love it !!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:32 PM

VUQube.. This is interesting. This unit is an automatic satellite dish but how does it differ from a dish on a tripod? Is the difference in the fact that its "automatic" vs. "manually" placing a tripod/dish to find signal?

If so... is setting up a satellite dish maually that big of a PITA that its worth the $799 for the VUQube Staiobary Automatic?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Lets be constructive NOT DESTRUCTIVE! Play nice kids!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Outdoors View Post
VUQube.. This is interesting. This unit is an automatic satellite dish but how does it differ from a dish on a tripod? Is the difference in the fact that its "automatic" vs. "manually" placing a tripod/dish to find signal?

If so... is setting up a satellite dish maually that big of a PITA that its worth the $799 for the VUQube Staiobary Automatic?
I used to set up dishes for a living, and am a certified Direcway installer. Yes it can be that much of a PITA. There are some that I spent hours on, some that I put the dish on the arm and had signal immediately. Mind you when I did them I used the receiver only, the sat finders were $1500.00.

If you have lots of money or no patience, buy an automatic one. I have seen used ones on Ebay for much less, but the risk factor is of course higher.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM

No dish but we bring some DVD's & the Wii for those rainy days...
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

I have a King Dome on my trailer but I've never tried it to see if it works (no receiver). I spend my summers in it but I don't watch too much tv, maybe a dvd in the evening if the weather is bad. Other people out there have paid me to cement in 4x4's for their dish to be attached to but we are on seasonal sites and only move our trailers to travel to other locations.

The methods that I know of that people use are tripods or a dish bolted onto a pallet on top of the trailer roof. As long as the dish doesn't sway with the wind you won't get the signal fade on the tv.

I have a a large door on the side of my trailer that I can open, turn the tv around so you can view it outside the trailer, two external speakers and a remote control sensor to change channel and adjust the volume. A buddy of mine has an extra receiver that he's going to lend me this summer so we can watch the playoffs, UFC, etc on weekends while sitting outside on the deck with a few pops.

We used to have a saying in the Army, "Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field."
Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 PM

Not sure if I'd go for a sat set up, but DEFINITELY with a portable DVD player that also works in the truck, as a previous poster said. It is a necessity on long trips and crappy days with kids!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Why the hell would you take satellite camping , your camping if you wanna watch tv why not just stay home . Frig that bugs me people go camping and have there satellites and generators blasting day and night whats wrong with sitting around the fire enjoying the outdoors . If its raining pull out a tarp , or go inside play some cards . It just baffles me why people do this .
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Why the hell would you take satellite camping , your camping if you wanna watch tv why not just stay home . Frig that bugs me people go camping and have there satellites and generators blasting day and night whats wrong with sitting around the fire enjoying the outdoors . If its raining pull out a tarp , or go inside play some cards . It just baffles me why people do this .
Do you have children? Most kids are video kids, and are miserable if they are forced off their regular habits cold turkey.

The times of sleeping under the stars in a tiny tent are gone, (most) people don't rough it any more. When you think of it, the only people that ever roughed it were the ones with no money. Now camping for us is to get away from the phones, away from familiar surroundings, play with squirrels, go boating, spend time with the kids. None of us need to prove anything to anyone about being a purist. Like many say, each to their own.

What amazes me is people getting mad in a public forum because people like to watch tv when they want to.

I think decks of cards should be outlawed. I was forced into that boring crap by my family when I was young. I would rather teach the kids to steal hubcaps than make them touch cards.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why the hell would you take satellite camping , your camping if you wanna watch tv why not just stay home . .
i have an answer that you may understand john.....i refuse to miss an eskimo game.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Do you have children? Most kids are video kids, and are miserable if they are forced off their regular habits cold turkey.

The times of sleeping under the stars in a tiny tent are gone, (most) people don't rough it any more. When you think of it, the only people that ever roughed it were the ones with no money. Now camping for us is to get away from the phones, away from familiar surroundings, play with squirrels, go boating, spend time with the kids. None of us need to prove anything to anyone about being a purist. Like many say, each to their own.

What amazes me is people getting mad in a public forum because people like to watch tv when they want to.

I think decks of cards should be outlawed. I was forced into that boring crap by my family when I was young. I would rather teach the kids to steal hubcaps than make them touch cards.
Huh Ive got not kids for the safety of the remainder of the world . Its only 2 or 3 days if they cant go without tv for a few days theres more problems then just stopping cold turkey .

I dont know I remember being a little kid sleeping in a tent camping , dad havin a rifle near by just in case. I think soceity has gotten way to lazy . I own a holiday trailer and a fifth wheel but still choose to sleep in a tent . Hell ill even take my 5th wheel and sleep in my tent . Why because I love it . I use to think it was cool camping in a camp ground those places are such gong shows now in days not worth it , find a chunk of fairly dry land and Git R Done .

Im not mad Ken , just mearly makes me roll my eyes that someone would go camping to watch tv . Sounds kinda pointless to me . Spend 30 or 40 or 50 ,000 dollars on a trailer then what 100 bucks for a weekend at a camp ground plus another 100-200 for fuel to haul that trailer , just to watch tv . 5hit if you ask me id spend that money on something else if that was the case . To each there own i guess .

I guess to each there own your kids i guess .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i have an answer that you may understand john.....i refuse to miss an eskimo game.
I can understand that As Football is my game but still could careless im camping ill listen to it on the radio . I guess im just old fashion or dont get it .
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Understood John, the point I was making was that we all go for different reasons. Some of the places I go to have distinct and clearly marked areas for tenting, for no generators, and for no kids, etc.

I have to admit that I hate people camping with dogs, screaming uncontrollable kids, and stereos that they blast all hours day and night. The worst are the fighters, screaming, swearing constantly.

Tv for me sometimes is a way to shut out the outside idiots.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Outdoors View Post
I think the "camping purists" are the same folks who go camping for the weekend, never leave a paved road, and dont have a family.

If the thread jackers just put two seconds thought into the question, you might realize that some people actually need to "live" in their trailers, some use their RV as a holiday and leave for a month at a time, and some people actually leave the pavement and therefore need to remain connected.

So if its alright to continue with this thread, is the recommendation to get a second dish and spare reciever? Does the dish hook up to the trailer cable line? What are the other options?
I bought a tripod, spare dish and LNB and take one of my receivers out of the house when I feel the need to have satellite TV on a trip. If you hook up to the cable outlet on the trailer, it won't work, as mentioned before. Also, don't tell your satellite provider that you are using your dish on the RV, they might try to charge you more or even cancel your service. Just my experiences.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Just picked up the Winegard carry-out from the local RV show Can't wait to settle in after a day of fishing and catch a football game. Could careless who thinks this is camping. I will be having a blast.

DB
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Understood John, the point I was making was that we all go for different reasons. Some of the places I go to have distinct and clearly marked areas for tenting, for no generators, and for no kids, etc.

I have to admit that I hate people camping with dogs, screaming uncontrollable kids, and stereos that they blast all hours day and night. The worst are the fighters, screaming, swearing constantly.

Tv for me sometimes is a way to shut out the outside idiots.
Lol I agree. I thought about buying a louder generator to drown out the noise of the drunks so I can sleep. lol

Seriously though I would camp in more remote areas and have more fun but the wife and kids would hate it. I dont think i want to camp in the wilderness alone.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned

I agree with both sides of the do/do not need satellite debate. When my daughter was young we did all of our camping in a tent and generators, tv's, etc were out of the question. We had some absolutely great times around the campfire, under tarps in the rain, etc and generally just roughing it.

I still do it for fishing and hunting camps but neither my wife or daughter wants to rough it in a tent anymore. If it weren't for the luxuries of the trailer I'll bet neither of them would want to go. After having a nice trailer I know that my wife wouldn't go back to a tent but my daughter goes if that's all that there is to camp in.

I don't like seeing kids in a trailer on a nice day watching movies or playing video games when they are camping. I've got friends out where our trailer is and their kids have to ask if they can watch a movie or play X Box or whatever. If it's a nice day then they're told to go do something outdoors. If the weather is bad and you can't do much or if kids are having someone sleep over then I don't think that there's anything wrong with it at all.

AND when the playoffs or UFC is on then it's okay for me to do as well.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree John but only if you are talking about a weekend camping trip. If you are out for 2 or 3 months it's nice to have a little extra entertainment available even if you rarely use it. Ever once in awhile it's nice to be able to snooze on the couch with the evening news on tv.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 AM

Yeah, I have a 30ft holiday trailer, I also have a 12 x 14 tent.

My family has stayed in both of them, I have taken my wife and both my daughters out and CAMPED, even in the 30 below weather.

I have also CAMPED in my 30 ft trailer, went fishing, sat around the camp fire, played cards, drank Hot choclate and sang Kumbay Ya and whatever else you HERO's do.

Then went in and watched the news on my Satellite TV, or watched the Flyers ALMOST win the CUP...

Hey Great Outdoors, like Kenvette mentioned, in my case the lack of patience is the reason I purcahsed the VU Qube. I use it at work, where I don't have enough time to be tuning in a dish,
It is GREAT!!!.......... One small bitch, it does seem to need a little more of a CLEAR view for reception than a regular dish
Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 AM

We have a dish at out campsite. When you got 4 kids and a spoiled wife with you, TV is awesome on bad weather days.

When it's just me and the boys, it's backcountry camping. No technology allowed.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Have a dish just screwed down to a pc of plywood. If it is windy you put some rocks on the plywood to hold it down. Just take your receiver from home and some cable and hook it up in like 10 mins. We take our receiver to the cottage all the time. If you need a dish I have on old one that was removed because of an upgrade to HD. $20 where you located?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM

I live in my trailer for work most summers, I work 12-14 hours a day and like the noise of the news while having my morning ritual. I have the small self aiming sat (cant remember the name) throw it on the ground and in 3 mins your watching TV. It stays wit the trailer as does the flat screen and HD receiver and when we are on holidays it has saved my wife killing me many times. She loves to fish, if there bitting, if its nice, etc.... I dont care and will sit ing the boat for days, so we understand each other and she leaves me alone if she can have her squak box. Each to there own. All RV dealers have the self locating and you can get them for about $700 now. If you have bell, tell them you are moving and they will send you a dish free.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM

My son is only allowed to watch tv while camping on three occasions:
1. if he's sick
2. weather's bad, and by bad, I mean really bad. He loves stomping & sitting in puddles so it all depends how much I want to be out in the cold.
3. we allow him about 1/2 hr of a movie before bed with his snack. This is a mixed blessing for both him & us. It gives him some time to calm down & relax.

Some day I'll get a satellite, but right now we treat it like "movie time".
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Default camping / satelites

If my nascar races were on durring the week I'd be away. But they aren't so I take my sat with me when I go camping. Quad all day and come back for supper, cold beer and a race while relaxed on the lawn chair. can't beat relaxing with cold beer
Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70fastback View Post
If my nascar races were on durring the week I'd be away. But they aren't so I take my sat with me when I go camping. Quad all day and come back for supper, cold beer and a race while relaxed on the lawn chair. can't beat relaxing with cold beer
Wow! quad all day, TV while "camping" and Nascar.

Three of my least favourite things.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...