Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Camping with the Satellite??

We go camping a lot and I was wondering how people go camping with a satellite dish?

1) Do you have a free floating satellite or fix it to the camper?
2) Do you have cable at home and a satellite company for the RV or is the same dish transferable between home and rv?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:06 PM

on a tripod, and spare satellite receiver. WAAAY too expensive to buy a tracking dish.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM

I go camping to go camping.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM

I always wondered WHY people go camping with a satelite. If you want to sit inside and watch TV, stay home. Just my two cents.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 PM

I must have misread the original question, I was sure he was asking what people used, not is it ok with everyone if he uses a satellite dish while camping.

What would you guys do if a female ever wanted to go with you, tell her to 'pizz off, you are there for camping, not to mess around with a female!'

nice

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I go camping to go camping.
well almost x2, I have a portable DVD player that I throw in to the camping trailer if I'm going to use the trailer, keeps the kids busy on rainy days, and is worth its wieght in gold as long as there busy watching it and not bugging me.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM

I use my trailer for work so I keep a tripod and spare dish in the trailer with the flat screen and HD receiver. Best bet is to look on Kijiji for a spare dish. Make sure you get decent tripod, something that you can anchor in case it gets windy. If I am moving lots it sometimes can be a PITA to keep setting up the dish and trying to grab a signal.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Ken, my daughter was concieved in a holiday trailer, to awnser your question.

Camping is about being in the wild to me, parks with RV's on asphalt 10' apart with sattelite dishes are parks, not campsites.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM

I use a tripod and spare receiver. Works well. Works great when you have the fifth wheel set up for a month at a time for hunting season.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Gone Hunting

The Great Outdoors

Camping with a satellite

I was sure this was a joke thread. If it is...

If it is not, sorry

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Rainy days

It sure can be nice to have the dish when camping in the rain. News, road reports etc.
Anyone take a cellphone camping? Kinda the same thing. Nothing wrong with it.
A real purist might not someone else taking along a store bought tent.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 PM

Really?? That aint camping....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 03-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Fair enough, it is all about perspective. You're free to draw the line where you please and it's not mine, or anyone else's place to interfere.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM

Vince, that is cool, congrats on your outdoors nooky, and to each his own, but do we seriously have to jump in every thread and tell people what they are doing is not what we think they should be doing?

But, I guess that is what AOF is famous for. Read fight reprise deny apologize repeat.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Ken, my daughter was concieved in a holiday trailer.
And no dish needed, maybe a video??
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
And no dish needed, maybe a video??
LOL. I have a friend who just had a dome installed on the roof of his camper. He says it does everything on its own. I can get some information from him if you like.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Is there a difference between "Camping" and "RVing"?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 PM

I use tripod and a spare receiver. I personally do not need it but makes the wife and daughter enjoy our stays a bit more.

My little one was five last year and was a treat for the dad to have her around catching her own pike for very the first time. What a great memories those moments are. So giving her some entertainment on the side is small price to pay.

Also, I have to admit it came very useful to me last year being able to get out for the weekend to my favorite lake and not to miss World Cup of Soccer finals.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Vince, that is cool, congrats on your outdoors nooky, and to each his own, but do we seriously have to jump in every thread and tell people what they are doing is not what we think they should be doing?

But, I guess that is what AOF is famous for. Read fight reprise deny apologize repeat.
You just know that's going to end up in a sig line somewhere.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Satellite tv, video games all set up in my cabin. If that is what it takes to keep the grandchildren happy and wanting to come out to spend some time with the grandparents, so be it. While the grandchildren are with us we do spend time fishing, quadding, water skiing, swimming, kayaking, target practicing, checking game cameras etc. But the weather does not always cooperate. Hence the first two items to keep them busy and happy. Satellite tv in the cabin, video games in the guest house. This keeps me happy too. Especially if you have a half dozen grandkids around at the same time.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM

I think the "camping purists" are the same folks who go camping for the weekend, never leave a paved road, and dont have a family.

If the thread jackers just put two seconds thought into the question, you might realize that some people actually need to "live" in their trailers, some use their RV as a holiday and leave for a month at a time, and some people actually leave the pavement and therefore need to remain connected.

So if its alright to continue with this thread, is the recommendation to get a second dish and spare reciever? Does the dish hook up to the trailer cable line? What are the other options?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM

[

Last edited by gravelbar; 03-19-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM

My inlaws stay at a lake all summer and looked into the self aiming dish. I think they said it was 2000.00!

I have seen guys with the regular dish and tripod. Seems like the kind of thing you may be very frustrated with at first but will get good at with practice.

You can buy an extra dish for cheap and use your home receiver if you dont want to pay all year for the extra one as well.

I would consider the tripod but would never be able to spend 2000 one the other system. But we all have different priorities.

I for one dont really care what you do or watch in your camper. Not really sure why some guys get so concerned about what everyone else is up to.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Outdoors View Post
I think the "camping purists" are the same folks who go camping for the weekend, never leave a paved road, and dont have a family.

If the thread jackers just put two seconds thought into the question, you might realize that some people actually need to "live" in their trailers, some use their RV as a holiday and leave for a month at a time, and some people actually leave the pavement and therefore need to remain connected.

So if its alright to continue with this thread, is the recommendation to get a second dish and spare reciever? Does the dish hook up to the trailer cable line? What are the other options?
Well said.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:50 AM

Think its just a generation gap. Us old guys go camping to get rid of the outside world with no electronic gadgets. Solitude, peace and quiet. Young folk these days can't live with out them. Ya see it everyday with the cell phones which every teenager has. I like camping where cell phones don't work. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Google tv4rv....lots of good info on that site
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 AM

Default Sat TV

I use a VUQube on my shack at work, it's portable so I can use it on my holiday trailer as well if I want.
They are a pretty slick unit, there only about 18" square so they don't take up much space.
I have the Auto tuning one, it was 1500$. But you can get the manual one for around 700.

Orbit Satellite & Electronics on 170st in Edmonton has them.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Outdoors View Post

You can connect the dish to your exterior cable outlet on the trailer, however cable signal is different and usually there is an amplifier on the interior outlet by TV location. This actually filters out satellite signal. All you need to do is to replace this TV outlet for basic coax outlet and you are good to go. Last year I picked up a spare dish and a tripod for $50.00 and of course I already had receiver for it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Default VU Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigg dogg View Post
I use a VUQube on my shack at work, it's portable so I can use it on my holiday trailer as well if I want.
They are a pretty slick unit, there only about 18" square so they don't take up much space.
I have the Auto tuning one, it was 1500$. But you can get the manual one for around 700.

Orbit Satellite & Electronics on 170st in Edmonton has them.
I spent pretty much May to September in my fifth wheel (2010) as I stayed in it while working, and I also picked up a auto finding VU cube. This thing is the bomb, get to a new spot and with less than 5 minutes of set up you are watching Bell tv. Most days are long and the tv never gets turned on but when the rain comes (I'm a helicopter pilot on forestry contracts) it's nice to have some entertainment. I'm also a UFC fan and if I can I buy the fights. I do the wall tent hunting camp every year and there is definately no tv brought in...ha! If we are on holidays and the kids want some tv I have no problem letting them watch "some" tv. I call it RVing....not really camping. Bottom line is each to their own.....
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM

no dish for us, cards, board games,good conversations and laughs, maybe radio, just like the good old days. Premium family time in my opinion, my son beats his teacher playing chess. ( I taught him how to play at night while camping)