Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Default Moose hunting on the Taiga Shield, NWT

Hello!
I'm not exactly from Alberta but since you are the closest from NWT where I live I figured I'd join this group.

Long story short, friends took me moose hunting near the NWT/BC border this year and I got hooked. I loved the place but it's so far it does not allow any kind of scouting or prep in the months before and that for me is half the fun.

I live in Yellowknife and I decided that it's where my hunt would be next year even if our moose population isn't very high (2-3 per 10km2 according to the info I could find).

All my hunting background is for bear so right now I study that big moose hunting world. I find lots of info online and ebooks but not much about the Taiga Shield where I live.
Does anyone know if there is any specificity in the behaviour of moose or where to look for them in this environment? Or better, does anyone know any resource I could get to learn more and improve my chance to find the right spots next season?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm in Yellowknife myself, I'm waiting for the residency requirement to drop to one year in Nov so I can get a moose tag.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnak View Post
Hello!
I'm not exactly from Alberta but since you are the closest from NWT where I live I figured I'd join this group.

Long story short, friends took me moose hunting near the NWT/BC border this year and I got hooked. I loved the place but it's so far it does not allow any kind of scouting or prep in the months before and that for me is half the fun.

I live in Yellowknife and I decided that it's where my hunt would be next year even if our moose population isn't very high (2-3 per 10km2 according to the info I could find).

All my hunting background is for bear so right now I study that big moose hunting world. I find lots of info online and ebooks but not much about the Taiga Shield where I live.
Does anyone know if there is any specificity in the behaviour of moose or where to look for them in this environment? Or better, does anyone know any resource I could get to learn more and improve my chance to find the right spots next season?

Thanks
russell lake area near bechoko.or the north arm.take a drive to the liard area. simpson.there are moose.travel by boat is good.but your prob. into winter by now.its a long season. we had our best moose hunting in dec.by ski doo.up the yk river quada lake area.good luck.get out there and look for sign.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Moose? No moose around the north arm......try the ingraham trail.

I joke of course. Feel free to pm me.