Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Default 340/346...

Having still hunted these parts for the last few years, I've noticed a drastic increase in road hunters this year.

...or maybe its just the fact that I'm able to get out more in the early season now.

If anyone else has had any recent experience in these areas, PMs would be welcome.

Regardless, be curious to see what everyone's observations about the areas are for this year. I have not seen much for deer numbers, compared to the last few...

Maybe it's the extra pressure? I'm trying to stay clear of Robb...as apparently its a zoo this year.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 10-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Can't speak to 340 road hunters, but there's a lot of wolves in 338 that came from 340. So yeah game numbers are down.

346 has been that way for a long time. Shortest drive from the city to an early rifle season.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:40 AM

346 has been brutal for numbers the past few years. Was just out for 7 days and only saw 5 deer 1 moose and a cow elk.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:47 AM

Any suggestions for alternate, adjacent WMUs? Looks like it's time to find a different patch of bush...

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Lots of deer in 346, seen a nice 5x5 last night, always when I'm working. Around the perimeter of Sundance.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:00 PM

Just spent a few days in 346 and seen a ton of road hunters and somebody Even helped them selfs to some of a friends and father in laws gear
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Default 340 Robb

I have a house in Robb the hunting pressure is unreal this year I actually have given up in that area. Tried north of Hinton in 439 in the 6 point zone. Didn't see many hunters or animals..... More scouting required! Good luck
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Default 346

Part time resident,certain parts have alot of road hunters,i am also seeing numbers in our area down ,only saw a spike buck last sat.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:52 PM

By the grace of God i was able to make it to the bush Monday. I was in 346. It was a great day!! Saw an easy 10 doe, some great buck sign, 4 cow elk, and a bull elk. ( i think it was a 5x5.....). I'm not sure because they were hauling serious "A". I was dodging deer on my way out.

I felt terrible for one dude. I was beat from hiking through some tough cutlines all day, so on my way out i figured I'd cruise a bit (I'm not much of a road hunter) but i was tired and it was almost time to leave so i figured why not. Well my truck isn't the quietest truck ever and i cruised down a lease and headed back. On my way back a saw a guy up in a treestand hunting the road. I totally screwed his hunt for the day im sure.

So if that guy is on here.... sorry!! but then.... who sets a stand on a road? lol
Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 AM

Numbers in 340 are way down from the lastc ouple of years. Hunted alot this weekend and saw a few deer, no moose or elk either. Lots of bear sign and wolf tracks though. Did see a black bear to .
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 AM

I got my first buck monday with my girls in 340 in the 4 hours i was their i saw 7 deer 3 bucks and 4 does. I dont kbow were you guys are in 340 but i found some good bush to hunt on monday so um heading back on ny next set of days off to try my luck at an elk.

Gordon