Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Yah there great but when you hit a bump.. You hit the pick 8 times...haha
Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 PM

The rock doctors you tube videos are pretty impressive. I'd like to spend a day on the trail with that guy in an argo lol. The stuff he makes it through with the 8x8 with tracks is unreal.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Argo

Hunted with them for 30 years..Properly maintained they are great..Had a few problems over the years but no more than a quad..Ive put them through hell and back..Served me well.In high gear and no tracks it will do 41 kph..A little too fast for the trail.They do have their place in the skeg and mud.I really love mine.Go see Doug at Edmonton argo he will give you the info you need and steer you in the right direction..If anybody knows argo's he is the king
T
Old 10-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Hunted with them for 30 years..Properly maintained they are great..Had a few problems over the years but no more than a quad..Ive put them through hell and back..Served me well.In high gear and no tracks it will do 41 kph..A little too fast for the trail.They do have their place in the skeg and mud.I really love mine.Go see Doug at Edmonton argo he will give you the info you need and steer you in the right direction..If anybody knows argo's he is the king
T
X2..
Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
T
Thank you for the info good sir. Will keep that in mind for sure
Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Argos have got to be one of the best machines around. Newer ones very little maintenance and are just as reliable as a quad. Tracks for snow but you do not need them for swamp and muskeg. they are so much fun.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Default Argo

In case anyone is interested certain models are on sale right now until end of year,they are offering 2015 for US priceing.I ordered a new 6x6 to go with my avenger.They are one of those things you either love or hate.Robin
Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Not for everyone or everywhere.....

I had a 1989 8x8 Argo magnum given to me last year, I thought WOW, that's AWESOME!!!! Then I used it to go ice fishing, duck hunting, goose hunting, bear hunting & just playing around...... I got to thinking; here's a machine that does anything, but it doesn't do anything very well It has a nasty rough ride, smells like an old tractor, goes too slow, always makes you get dirty because some little thing needed mechanical attention, turns DARN hard with a load on it, has 8 freaking tires to keep inflated, more nasty dirty chains than I ever want to see again & when you get it stuck in floating bog cattails with little pockets of open water where the water is just high enough to float the machine and the floating bog just a bit too high to get up on with the tracks & you end up almost killing yourself pushing it out..... you will swear never to be in that situation again. I decided right there, the Argo was gonna be gone & I was buying a SxS & a jon boat. Here's the disclaimer.... if you want or need to go places that have both dry land & swamps you must go over/through.....there is no substitute for Argo, I just don't have those requirements, so I'm a very happy SxS owner
Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngun View Post
I had a 1989 8x8 Argo magnum given to me last year, I thought WOW, that's AWESOME!!!! Then I used it to go ice fishing, duck hunting, goose hunting, bear hunting & just playing around...... I got to thinking; here's a machine that does anything, but it doesn't do anything very well It has a nasty rough ride, smells like an old tractor, goes too slow, always makes you get dirty because some little thing needed mechanical attention, turns DARN hard with a load on it, has 8 freaking tires to keep inflated, more nasty dirty chains than I ever want to see again & when you get it stuck in floating bog cattails with little pockets of open water where the water is just high enough to float the machine and the floating bog just a bit too high to get up on with the tracks & you end up almost killing yourself pushing it out..... you will swear never to be in that situation again. I decided right there, the Argo was gonna be gone & I was buying a SxS & a jon boat. Here's the disclaimer.... if you want or need to go places that have both dry land & swamps you must go over/through.....there is no substitute for Argo, I just don't have those requirements, so I'm a very happy SxS owner
1989 is a WHOLE lot different than newer ones!
Good luck following us on your "happy SxS"
RBH
Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
That thing is 25 years old! Past its prime a little maybe!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Those are awesome. Too bad we don't have anywhere to use them that isn't private land. Too many restrictions on leaving the trail...
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 PM

Dannyo, we should talk. I might have what you re looking for.

2003 Conquest, 231 hours, super tracks, new Warn winch, two tops, new Diamond chains, alternator kit, etc. All in excellent shape.

It's not an Avenger, but you won't find an Avenger with the Admiral transmission and the same equipment for anything less than 15 - 18 grand. If nothing else, have a look at it. I'm in Fort McMurray also.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yup, the 1989 quads you get for free are bout the same.. Lol.

Argo's have come a long way, same as quads. No comparision to even 10 years ago.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:25 PM

The biggest fault of the Argo was that it was a "skid - steer" system, where power was cut off one side and forced to the other, like a truck differential.

Bill Mackay of Edmonton was one of the original dealers, out of Alberta ATV.

Bill had a prototype unit that had a german built transmission that used clutches, much like the Prairie Bobcat. In other words, no tearing the one side apart with braking to get power to the other side. Variable power to each side meant smooth turns.

Bill built a unit called the "Trail Boss" which was hydraulic drive, and used bigger "Ditch Witch" tires. Expensive and specialized for oilfield work. Very much unstoppable.

Pity that Argo did not follow Bill's example or just rip off Prairie Bobcat's variable clutch drive system long ago.

Pity that they did not install Tsubaki chain in the first place, and make double drive chain standard in the beginning.

Pity that Argo did not try and put the power in the back to balance the machine better in water.

Sorry for breaking up the love in, but there are many people suffering PTSD because of these rolling gas jugs.

It can be done better. Argo has known that for 30 years.

Drewski
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 PM

Have some Argo experiences u feel like sharing drewski....?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:33 AM

Default Argo

X2
Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The biggest fault of the Argo was that it was a "skid - steer" system, where power was cut off one side and forced to the other, like a truck differential.

Bill Mackay of Edmonton was one of the original dealers, out of Alberta ATV.

Bill had a prototype unit that had a german built transmission that used clutches, much like the Prairie Bobcat. In other words, no tearing the one side apart with braking to get power to the other side. Variable power to each side meant smooth turns.

Bill built a unit called the "Trail Boss" which was hydraulic drive, and used bigger "Ditch Witch" tires. Expensive and specialized for oilfield work. Very much unstoppable.

Pity that Argo did not follow Bill's example or just rip off Prairie Bobcat's variable clutch drive system long ago.

Pity that they did not install Tsubaki chain in the first place, and make double drive chain standard in the beginning.

Pity that Argo did not try and put the power in the back to balance the machine better in water.

Sorry for breaking up the love in, but there are many people suffering PTSD because of these rolling gas jugs.

It can be done better. Argo has known that for 30 years.

Drewski

I agree with this... I do admit I only have experience with the older Argos, the new ones may be different but that whole "braking one side to make the other side overcome the stopping force to turn" thing left a bad taste in my mouth. As far as following your Argo with my SxS, I don't have a need to go places like that, but if I did... I could hire a chopper a few times before I got close to the $30,000.00 price tag on a new fully equipped wonder machine from a company that only took 30 yrs to make a decent mechanical design.... & when I say decent I'm being generous; sure don't see many utility quads or Utv's made in the last 2 decades with CHAIN DRIVE.... maybe there is a reason for that????
Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Dannyo, we should talk. I might have what you re looking for.

2003 Conquest, 231 hours, super tracks, new Warn winch, two tops, new Diamond chains, alternator kit, etc. All in excellent shape.

It's not an Avenger, but you won't find an Avenger with the Admiral transmission and the same equipment for anything less than 15 - 18 grand. If nothing else, have a look at it. I'm in Fort McMurray also.
PM'D you
Old 10-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Default argo

I have a 2009 avenger with rubber tracks. Best machine I have ever owned. We had 2 (deep) river crossings this fall to get to our moose camp. Friend had a quad and we were forced to leave it beside the first river and hunt the next 10 days with just my argo. Went through literally everything and never had to use the winch once. Also had a boat attached to the top, the back had about 500 lbs of gear in it and were also pulling a trailer with about 400 more pounds of gear in it. Buy one, you'll be so happy you did
Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
I have a 2009 avenger with rubber tracks. Best machine I have ever owned. We had 2 (deep) river crossings this fall to get to our moose camp. Friend had a quad and we were forced to leave it beside the first river and hunt the next 10 days with just my argo. Went through literally everything and never had to use the winch once. Also had a boat attached to the top, the back had about 500 lbs of gear in it and were also pulling a trailer with about 400 more pounds of gear in it. Buy one, you'll be so happy you did
Awesome! Sounds like my kind of trip! My mind is already made up, I will be having one before the next moose hunting season. Lol.