Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Default Rabbit hunting??

What is the rabbit population like in Alberta? Is there a big population?

In Europe, cottontails are pretty much in epidemic proportions is most parts of the countryside. In fact, most rabbit hunting is done at night with a spotlight as is is the most effective way to control them.

Have lost count of the amount I have shot with the 22lr/17hmr. Since I have a skilled workers permit, would be nice to get a rimfire and put some down over here. I hear that groundhogs are a major pest species over here?

To be honest, what I would really like is a lever action in 22wmr. Would be pretty neat, I reckon,.

Cheers
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM

seen my first rabbit this fall and its almost white, sure that is the reason i seen lol
Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Banned

In this part of Canada the rabbit population has a 10 year cycle. At year number 1, there are very few rabbits around and at the 10th year, they are everywhere.....then they die off and the cycle begins again. Based purely on what I've seen, we are at or very close to the end of the cycle.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
In this part of Canada the rabbit population has a 10 year cycle. At year number 1, there are very few rabbits around and at the 10th year, they are everywhere.....then they die off and the cycle begins again. Based purely on what I've seen, we are at or very close to the end of the cycle.

Kind of a shame as rabbit is on of my favourite meats.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Rabbits

While we were in England I was astonished to see how many rabbits were about. What a great food source and fun thing to hunt. We don't have rabbits in those numbers but if you head into the bush and learn to hunt them you'll get some. It's different than england, here you find thick willows etc. and walk really slowly and use binoculars to look for the eyes and ear tips. There's lots in some areas and they're yummy but at bit tougher than English rabbits so you'll have to cook them a bit longer.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesArcher View Post
Kind of a shame as rabbit is on of my favourite meats.
Yeah they are delicious, I havnt seen a whole lot of them but it might just be i haven't been hunting in the right area for them.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:11 AM

I just snare them, set it and check in the am. Nothing like a pot if rabbit soup on a cold winters day
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by protect View Post
seen my first rabbit this fall and its almost white, sure that is the reason i seen lol
Ive seen a lot of rabbits lately (2 last night) but thankfully non showing any white yet.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Interesting. If I read this right, you believe numbers are high right now, correct?

I've shot two Mtn cottontails this year - both were surprises while I was out for grouse (which also seem to be doing well this year). The cottontails don't change colour in winter - I've found them up high in the foothills.

Both bunnies are waiting for the right night to get braised. So good.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Ive seen a lot of rabbits lately (2 last night) but thankfully non showing any white yet.
I found some too, but that was in Edmonton city....
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Banned

I have been doing quite a bit of driving spotting geese the last three weeks and have not seen a single rabbit, so not many where I was. Lots of coyotes though, maybe that is why I have not seen many rabbits.....going to be a good year for coyote hunting.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 AM

Where I hunt there were a good number of them (last year), but I saw only two this year & one is in the freezer now.