Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Default argo advice

just bought a 2014 argo xti it has 1000 km and about 130 hours. Up north on the weekend stopped to wait for a buddy went to pull away and it wouldn't move. took the floor and firewall out to try and see whats happening and when you give it throttle it loads the chains severely but won't move. disconnected brakes still no luck. had to remove the drive chains and tow it out of the bush. i'm thinking my transmission locked up. we have the drive axles separated i guess the next step is the steering brakes. just wondering if anyone has been in this kind of situation.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Admiral transmissions piling up are not totally uncommon.

Good thing there was someone with you to give you a pull out. Some of the places that I've been to in my Argos you'd have a hard time walking out of.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 PM

we were still 17 hours getting out. lost some confidence in the machine for sure.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Last year I was about 15 miles out a cut line through muskeg, over beaver dams and across ponds. I didn't realize that my alternator belt was slipping until the machine started coughing and stopped running. I had to take the rad out just to get to the alternator mount to tighten the belt. Two hours later we had the belt tight but the battery was dead with no pull start. I had to wrap quarter inch poly rope around the fly wheel while my partner turned the key.

We were lucky to get it started.

That is why I sold the machine with the idea of going to a 6x6 650 HD. I won't have another one without a back up recoil starter.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:07 PM

i like to explore by myself but won't be going too far on my own until i get some confidence back. We were heading to Namur lake in northern Alberta.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM

Sell it and get a Max II.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 PM

Very likely the tranny, very common for them to break with that year and model.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Sell it and get a Max II.

Well, he would gain a proven tranny in the T20, but that would be it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ba40 View Post
just bought a 2014 argo xti it has 1000 km and about 130 hours. Up north on the weekend stopped to wait for a buddy went to pull away and it wouldn't move. took the floor and firewall out to try and see whats happening and when you give it throttle it loads the chains severely but won't move. disconnected brakes still no luck. had to remove the drive chains and tow it out of the bush. i'm thinking my transmission locked up. we have the drive axles separated i guess the next step is the steering brakes. just wondering if anyone has been in this kind of situation.
That happened to me but turned out some wheel studs had broken off and the wheel jammed up the track. Be sure the wheel nuts are tight if you are running tracks.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Gone Hunting

I wonder why manufacturers who know of issues don't fix them

I have never owned an Argo and would never own one simply because for as long as they have been around, all I hear is that they work for a while and are great when they work, but are 'famous' for this or that problem.

Same with Fords, 'oh their famous for that cam phasers, spark plugs etc.

Or Dodge, " cummins is awesome but the rest of the trcuk is 'famous' for falling apart. trannys, rear ends etc.

GMC , famous for transmission lines, etc,etc.

Do these companies not visit AO. Or any place else for that matter?

Google a vehicle problem and you will get a million hits. BUT the maker has no clue there's a problem.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Give Doug at Argyle Motorsports a call.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 PM

took trani out put it on the bench and split the case. found a bent shifter rod for the Hi Low. the FNR rod is stuck as well. no damage to the box otherwise. going to change all the bearings and seals as its already apart. Argyle has been excellent with the parts list and advice.