Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Default WMU 438 Help

Hello there first time poster here! I am starting preparation for my fall big game hunt and i'm looking to head out to WMU 438 as I have a place to stay close by. I will be hunting Elk and whitetail while I am there and this will be my first hunt in the area. I am a newbie hunter only a couple big game hunts so far and I am aware of all the coal mining activity in the area which brings me to my question what resources (maps etc) should I be using to make sure I am hunting on public land? I have obtained the tech coal maps but it appears the cardinal river operation doesn't have maps I can find. Any help finding these resources so I can hunt only in areas im supposed to be would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shknbke View Post
Hello there first time poster here! I am starting preparation for my fall big game hunt and i'm looking to head out to WMU 438 as I have a place to stay close by. I will be hunting Elk and whitetail while I am there and this will be my first hunt in the area. I am a newbie hunter only a couple big game hunts so far and I am aware of all the coal mining activity in the area which brings me to my question what resources (maps etc) should I be using to make sure I am hunting on public land? I have obtained the tech coal maps but it appears the cardinal river operation doesn't have maps I can find. Any help finding these resources so I can hunt only in areas im supposed to be would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!
First post and asking for specifics eh, try searching the forum but the info you seek will most likely require some scouting. Get in your truck and go for a drive, you will see how the area looks. You are picking a very very busy zone with low success rates. Watch out for grizz, gun shots are dinner bells out there. The teck maps show where you can and cannot hunt very clearly, google earth is also your friend. Note it is 6 point or better for elk, tons of guys fined for shooting smaller animals over the past few seasons.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:02 PM

I am from Hinton and 438 is my stomping ground. Great WMU, why did you decide to try 438? . A lot of people know about it and there is tons of hunters in the Camp 1 area (the area that borders the Athabasca river and jasper) and the Cadomin/ mine property. I would hunt 342 for elk (3 point zone) and whitetail near Robb or go North of Hinton to 344 (3 point elk).
Old 06-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Hey guys thanks for the responses! I landed on 438 because my in laws have a cabin in mercoal on the southern edge of 438. I will definately be taking some trips out there this summer to look around for some good spots! Sorry if my post is specific im not looking for anyones specific spots id rather get ahold of the resources I need to go find my own place. I realize my odds of pulling a legal Elk out of there is pretty low but I figured I should at least have a decent shot at a whitetail out there. Thanks again for your replys (I don't have a ton of hunting pals to draw information from)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shknbke View Post
Hey guys thanks for the responses! I landed on 438 because my in laws have a cabin in mercoal on the southern edge of 438. I will definately be taking some trips out there this summer to look around for some good spots! Sorry if my post is specific im not looking for anyones specific spots id rather get ahold of the resources I need to go find my own place. I realize my odds of pulling a legal Elk out of there is pretty low but I figured I should at least have a decent shot at a whitetail out there. Thanks again for your replys (I don't have a ton of hunting pals to draw information from)
Welcome to the group and good luck!!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Welcome to the group and good luck!!
Hey thanks! Glad to have found it