Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Default ATV Tub Trailer

Looking for a good tub trailer to pull behind my quad. Saw this in costco today, anyone have any experiences?

http://www.costco.ca/Explorer-ATV-Ut....10299157.html
Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 PM

I have the dual axle one and I tore the wheels off it hauling an elk out. We had to rebuild the axle system on mine. From what I saw, they've since re-enforced them but they are still suspect in my opinion.

Good for yard and light duty stuff but would not suggest it for heavy duty work...

My thoughts based on my dual wheel version
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM

Looks like yard duty to me. I wouldn't want to pull this little 18" tires through a swamp. Most atv dealers have the "real" atv trailers. A single axle is about $800
Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Good for yard and light duty stuff but would not suggest it for heavy duty work...
I have to agree. I realize that they are quite a bit less money than the aluminum ones, but I have discovered late in life that it is some times way more economical to spend more money on the outset rather money on repairs and replacements.

If you can find a way to scratch enough cash together to buy the aluminum ones, that would be my suggestion. I have the 6 foot aluminum Rhino with the tandem walking axles and we have put that through the wringer with zero issues. There were times when there was no way else to load the moose than to tip the trailer on it's side and roll the moose up along side it and strap it in good and then flop the trailer down. Never a problem with that trailer, but I'm sure it would have split the plastic ones, especially in cold weather.

If money is the deciding factor on this, and I realize that is too often the case, go ahead and pick one of the plastic ones up and then just be careful not to over load it or stress it too much on uneven terrain like frozen muskeg.

There is no doubt that a tub trailer is one of the best things that I ever added to my gear, so you will be happy that you get one. Just be sure to limit your use to whatever the trailer can take without damage.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the replies, i need it quickly for the upcoming season so i am leaning towards one i can pick up close to home. Canadian tire also has one that seems decent for $800...looks a little better quality than the costco one.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Tub trailer

You can't beat costcos return policy, although it won't be much help if you are busted down somewhere back in the boonies?!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 PM

I've had my aluminum for about 10 years, worth the extra money. I bought mine at Marathon in Edmonton.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:44 AM

I own this trailer and have had it for a couple of years now. Great around the house for firewood, dirt, water, etc. just returned from my first hunting trip with it and it performed flawlessly. We had 2 trailers to start but the smaller one blew up early and I had to load buddy's gear and the pieces of the old trailer on mine and it had no problems (we had gear for 2 for a week). Loaded a bull moose into it and pulled it 12km back to camp through some nasty stuff and it was fine, it had a bad tire that I knew about that finally came of the rim a couple of km from the truck and it still pulled well. Well worth the money in my opinion, I wish I had been using it for hunting sooner.

The only thing I would suggest is securing the dump latch, I had it let go a couple times and had to get off to latch it again.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM

For this season i dont anticipate dragging it through anything too rough...pretty sure i saw they only cost like $300-$400 in costco so for the price if it last two seasons it might be worth it.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 AM

I have that one from Costco Price was right as it was on for about $300 when I got it. It works good and is better than nothing!!
I found the ground clearance minimal but I have a Outlander 1000 so I don't even care if it has tires lol.

If I was going to buy a better one it would be a dual axle aluminum, but it works great for the price and as mentioned cant go wrong with Costco's return policy.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:02 PM

From my experience the thick plastic tubs are more durable than the aluminum because they don't crack or bend. I picked up a tandem axle plastic tub for $1000 bucks yesterday so I would just watch for a used one to pop up
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM

I have the same one! It look light duty but I can tell you it's gat enough guys to haul moose out. It will handle 1200lb all day long.

I am in the process of building walking beams for it just it doesn't bounce around so much empty.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 PM

I have costco one. Had it about 5 years Hauled out my bull moose last two years with it, all in one trip I might add No issues at all Also great for yard work hauling anything from dirt, sod to logs. Price was great and no issues at all so far
Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Can't beat the aluminum walking beam trailers more cash but it's set for life.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 PM

Tub trailers are OK, but your ground clearance is poor. If a person built a goose neck, drop axle quad trailer, (oh wait, I did that 14 years ago!) then you would have a trailer that could wiggle through a cut block and not hook on every stump.

Just an idea.

Drewski
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Tub trailers are OK, but your ground clearance is poor. If a person built a goose neck, drop axle quad trailer, (oh wait, I did that 14 years ago!) then you would have a trailer that could wiggle through a cut block and not hook on every stump.

Just an idea.

Drewski
Hey, have any pics of your trailer?