Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Sleeping bag

Plan a hunting trip and need to buy a sleep bag. I plan to solo hunt and sleep at the back of my SUV (more safer this way). But not sure what rate of sleep bag I would need when the temperature below -30'C at the end of November. Any suggestion?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Your not having to worry about weight. Get as warm as possible for those temps. Will be as cold inside as it is outside. Unless you use a electric heater it run your truck.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Banned

Agreed that weight is not an issue. I bought one years ago at Camper's Village when they were still making their own which I have slept in -42 on in.

Heavy as anything, but warm. Quallofil, not down.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 AM

You should check out Wiggey's in Grand Junction Colorado. They make a -60 bag for about $350 and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. Comes with compression bag and for the type of bag it is, it's lightweight and fairly small.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 AM

I've slept in those conditions with a mummy style bag rated for -20*C and put it inside another lighter weight bag rated for -10*C and been too warm throughout the night..... Might take up a little more space in the SUV with 2 bags rolled up for travelling, but more than plenty warm enough.

The thing I need to figure out for sleeping in an SUV is how to control the condensation throughout the night..... Usually leave a window open, but doesn't seem to cut it....

J.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 AM

I have a wiggy's minus 100 bag(it's a two bag combo), i used it on a late season sheep hunt and I was toasty warm.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Think of your SUV as the insides of a large refrigerator.
Pioneer made a great sleeping bag back in the day that weighed in at nearly 10 pounds for those who could afford the luxury of such weight.
Rob
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Default sleeping bag

You are going to be cold regardless of which bag you buy in -30oC weather. I recommend a outfitter tent with large airtight heater. You need to dry socks and other cloths. I slept in trucks and cars when I was young and stupid.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM

bring a gas genset and a small electric heater .

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
You are going to be cold regardless of which bag you buy in -30oC weather. I recommend a outfitter tent with large airtight heater. You need to dry socks and other cloths. I slept in trucks and cars when I was young and stupid.
I recommend a 50 ft motorhome, but that's not what he's asking. I've slept in my crew cab in sub-freezing temps a few times and been nice and toasty in merino wool long-johns and a good, used bag that I can burrow down into. On very cold nights, I've made sure that I can reach out from my bag, and start the truck for 10 minutes for a shot of heat. As mentioned above, condensation is a problem so I have to leave 2 windows open 1/2" or so. The tough part is fitting my 6ft body into the 5' back seat, but that's been solved by sliding the pax seat as far forward as it will go, and putting down a custom-fit piece of plywood allowing a bit of a diagonal sleeping position. I can't seem to get comfortable on just the rear bench seat and getting comfy is harder than staying warm.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I recommend a 50 ft motorhome, but that's not what he's asking. I've slept in my crew cab in sub-freezing temps a few times and been nice and toasty in merino wool long-johns and a good, used bag that I can burrow down into. On very cold nights, I've made sure that I can reach out from my bag, and start the truck for 10 minutes for a shot of heat. As mentioned above, condensation is a problem so I have to leave 2 windows open 1/2" or so. The tough part is fitting my 6ft body into the 5' back seat, but that's been solved by sliding the pax seat as far forward as it will go, and putting down a custom-fit piece of plywood allowing a bit of a diagonal sleeping position. I can't seem to get comfortable on just the rear bench seat and getting comfy is harder than staying warm.
^X2 on the motorhome

^As far as the "comfy" side of life, I've solved it by using my Dodge Megacab for sleeping in the past couple of times.... Rear seat kneels down, then lays flat (almost big enough for a inflatable double bed)

If only the wife would appreciate the pains I go through while hunting; she'd let me take the 5th wheel out more often....

J.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^X2 on the motorhome

^As far as the "comfy" side of life, I've solved it by using my Dodge Megacab for sleeping in the past couple of times.... Rear seat kneels down, then lays flat (almost big enough for a inflatable double bed)

If only the wife would appreciate the pains I go through while hunting; she'd let me take the 5th wheel out more often....

J.
let you!! just go for forgiveness and use it

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 10-15-2014, 04:32 PM

I bought a Woods. It's lined with fleece. Holly cow is it warm. Paid 120$ at...that outdoor place on 99st and 75ave (near Barb & Ernies) I'm Edmonton.

I'd you can't find one like it, I'd get a fleece blanket to sow inside.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 PM

I'm a cold sleeper and I find I need two bags to stay warm at -30. A mummy bag inside a bigger one works for me. I would go with the two that fit inside each other with the ratings as low as I could find in my price range.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
x100

Maybe I am old, but I can't imagine it.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Ive got one of the 3 Stars sleeping bags from cabelas rated for -40. I use it up in the northwest territories hunting in the mountains every year and I sweat with nothing on. If that isnt enough, you could go with one of the 5 stars.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 PM

Bought a browning sleeping bag from cabelas last year kept me plenty warm in very cold temps but the best part is the width of the bag I'm a bigger guy and could do a full roll over inside the bad with out twisting the bad or zippers coming undone.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:52 PM

An Alaskan 9.5 will keep you warm. If it doesn't it's too dam cold to be hunting
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 AM

Default woods 3/5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris501 View Post
Ive got one of the 3 Stars sleeping bags from cabelas rated for -40. I use it up in the northwest territories hunting in the mountains every year and I sweat with nothing on. If that isnt enough, you could go with one of the 5 stars.
Excellent advise. 2 of the best sleeping bags ever made. (not considering their weight)

If you get the 5 star you can sleep in the snow bank beside your SUV if you want.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM

I've got an outbound toaster 10,000 I bought from cabelas. They also sell them at atmosfere(spelling?) That thing is seriously warm. It's big and heavy but I slept in it at -30 in my old truck camper with no heat and I had to strip down to my underwear because I was sweating.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Default Sleeping bags

The generator and electric heater are a good idea, or get a black cat propane heater. I'd go with two sleeping bags that way if you need to do a pack in hunt sometime you'll have a lighter option. A mummy bag inside of a rectangular bag works well. You can also boil some water and put it in your nalgene water bottle, put that in the bottom of your bag and you'll start the evening toasty warm. You'll be ok go a couple of nights in your truck but without having a way to dry out your clothes every night will get a little worse.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Cabelas has the Outbound Toaster sleeping bag on sale this week...
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/4250/o...n-sleeping-bag