Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I see our buddies Getzlaf & co are down by a converted TD. So sad!
Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch
Old 02-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Perhaps Talbot for Smith ?? Change of scenery might re-boot their careers
You say that like Talbot hasn't been declining for 6 straight years with one anomaly.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I've come to the conclusions I don't actually mind Anaheim, just don't like Kesler and Perry. I'd love to have Getzlaf on our team.
We're like 1 for 25 in their rink, add those 2 & Bieksa, just a bunch I like to dislike. I did however, get a kick out of Getzlaf/Phaneuf bouts back in the day.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Smith hurts us as much mentally as he does on the scoreboard. He is not good for this team. I really am surprised he is still on the bench in a back up roll.

This. Great that he stopped a bunch of pucks. He didn't stop the ones that counted. That game should have been a win, the team shouldn't always have to score more goals than Smith lets in that are soft.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I've come to the conclusions I don't actually mind Anaheim, just don't like Kesler and Perry. I'd love to have Getzlaf on our team.
I noticed Perry was back from injury, Ugh can't stand that dude..
Old 02-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
This. Great that he stopped a bunch of pucks. He didn't stop the ones that counted. That game should have been a win, the team shouldn't always have to score more goals than Smith lets in that are soft.
Ok, let me get this right... if he had stopped the ones that counted, and missed some that didnt you would feel better? Question is, which ones count more than the others? Youll say late period goals i guess, but maybe sometimes thats motivating depending on their mindset.

Last edited by drhu22; 02-02-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:14 PM

Default Flames

Quote:
Killing a penalty in that last 2 min. Didn’t help either.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Killing a penalty in that last 2 min. Didn’t help either.
That
Old 02-02-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Ok, let me get this right... if he had stopped the ones that counted, and missed some that didnt you would feel better? Question is, which ones count more than the others? Youll say late period goals i guess, but maybe sometimes thats motivating depending on their mindset.

Not letting in the 2nd shot of the game after a great start by the flames would have been a good start. Flames tie it up with 3 minutes left in the 1st and sure enough washington takes the lead 2 mins later with 30 seconds left in the 1st. Late setback goal going into the 2nd is bad enough without letting in a goal 1 minute into the 2nd. Ya i guess those aren't setbacks. Smith is done for.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post

Stopping the first couple of shots is a good start...
Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Banned

Honestly, no one can possibly stick up for the idea that Mike Smith should be anything but a locker room attendant at this point. I doubt your eye sight and sanity if you think any thing put the above. Its BS excuses and justifications like what I am reading and hearing on the radio that got the Oilers in the mess they are in.

DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT???

No, of course not, cut the dead wood free. No need for hangers on for this rocket ride.

He might be a nice guy. He might adopt kittens in his spare time. For all I know he runs the special olympics and is the worlds best individual.

BUT

HE CANT STOP PUCKS.....
Old 02-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Banned

Eric Francis:

"SMITH SHARP
Don’t even dream about pinning this one on Smith, who bore the brunt of most criticism in Calgary throughout the first half.
Five-bell stops on Lars Eller early and John Carlson late sandwiched a 27-save effort that represented just his third regulation loss in his last 12 decisions.
Yes, you read that right.
He’s been steadily recovering from a horrid beginning of the season to earn the first start out of the break.
Some will question the decision to start Smith over the red-hot David Rittich, but truth be told, Bill Peters did a masterful job picking starters throughout the first half.
Smith’s start was easily justified.
The Caps’ winning goal was a world-class snipe over Smith’s shoulder on the short side few goalies in the world could have stopped from close range.
No other goals were stinkers.
A confident Smith will be key to any success this team might have this spring.
Rittich will likely return to action Sunday in Carolina, as he should."

Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Hes won 9 of his last 12. Hes made some decent saves but let in quite a few questionable goals.

Winning or not, there is just an uneasy feeling seeing him between the pipes. They go down, then tie it and have momentum, and then they get scored on, then they tie it and have momentum, and then they get scored on, then they tie it and have momentum.... and so on.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Hes won 9 of his last 12. Hes made some decent saves but let in quite a few questionable goals.

Winning or not, there is just an uneasy feeling seeing him between the pipes. They go down, then tie it and have momentum, and then they get scored on, then they tie it and have momentum, and then they get scored on, then they tie it and have momentum.... and so on.
The goal tender has to make the big save that will stop the opposition from gaining momentum. Grant Fuhr would always seem to let in a soft one, but he rarely let a goal in that swung momentum to the opposition
Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Banned

DRHU.. Its not one game or one goal. Its over 1/2 a season of watching him. Even MT was trying not to blame him in a interview following the game. The players know, the coaches know, the management knows. I am guessing they cant find someone to take him and they don't have anyone to replace him (YET). We don't need him come playoff time. its rare to see anyone but the starter make the run.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:40 AM

I didn't see the whole game the other day, but what I did see he played not horrible but again he let in the first or second shot. I didn't see it but heard was another softie. This sets the whole game up on how the team now plays. If he could be solid for say the first period, then we are solid. The game winner I don't blame him that was a nice shot. If anything the D could be blamed for letting the caps get that deep. A usual game with Smith in net is the one or two soft goals that ruins our chances all the time. Take them away and we are gold. Consistency is what he lacks, will let in crap goal then make good stops, then look shaky as hell again.
Dave is solid for the most part, looks under control so the team isn't constantly scrambling to cover the goalies butt. They can just concentrate on their jobs.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 AM

The same eric francis who last year was questioning and publicly calling out Monahans integrity and compete level when the flames were in there tailspin in the stretch last year? Only to have it revealed that he needed 4 off season surgeries and was playing through a broken wrist, bummed groin and 2 hernias and wouldn't take himself out until they were mathematically eliminated. Francis job is to spew garbage always has been, he's so full of it his eyes are brown.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Banned

Ferland or Ferkalnd gets his shot again today. He should be healthy.

I get to watch about 30 min and then off to work then minor hockey to wrap the day. Late for the super bowl but it doesn't matter, my Stamps didn't make it AGAIN!!! One day they will!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Banned

Oh god.. Cassie....

If my Telus feed wasn't about 10-20 seconds behind, I would mute her and run the radio.

Perhaps her and Smith can find another career together?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Banned

Nice pass.......... I could have swore I was teaching that bit about not passing out in front of the net in Novice...

I am calling it a "BRAIN CRAMP"
Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Emotional game??
Perhaps the first one had a bit. But this one?? Did I miss something in the paper? Or is cassie talking just to hear herself.

Lindholm for the goal1
Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Gee, maybe they should have passed that puck a few more times before the shot??

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM

Wow, slick goal by Ryan to take the lead! 2-1

Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Banned

Anyone know how I can stream this game for free on line?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Banned

I found it through my Telus account. I am sure it is soaking up some serious Data. But this open house is SLOW!!! At least its warm. Not sure why people are not out looking at houses when its -40.........
Old 02-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Hathaway with another Shorty!! 3-1!

That is the 16th shorty for them this year.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Banned

Amazing pass.. I watched in slow motion and I still cant see how it made it through there. Saucer?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Banned

Great save on Backlund... thought it was 4 - 1
Old 02-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Hathaway with another Shorty!! 3-1!

That is the 16th shorty for them this year.
Holly WOW is Sirius Sat radio delayed, I read this and waited for a while and nothing, I thought you were just calling it to happen.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Mrazik sure made a great save on Backlund, thought for sure it was going in.