Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Default The Secret of Life....in your opinion

One of my Dad's childhood buddies came out for a super random visit on the weekend. My dad always held this guy in such high regards that it has worn off onto me over the years. He's the smartest man I've ever met and just seems to have everything figured out (he's also a master Freemason so maybe he does haha) He's incredibly wealthy but you would never know it and he's got an awesome family and maybe the happiest marriage that I've ever seen (seems like they are still dating after 40 yrs married). He's 65 years old and just randomly decided to buy a motorcycle and drive across Canada....I'm always envious of his adventures and he just seems to have a real lust for life. You just cant get this guy in a bad mood...always laughing and genuinely happy to see everyone.

Anyways, we have a few drinks around the fire and we're laughing about how the guy seems to know everything, so I ask him "Well alright know-it-all, if you know the answer to everything....what's the secret to life?" I'm expecting him to skirt the question or say that he doesn't know but instead he looks right at me and my Dad for like 30 seconds then smiles and say he's gonna let us in on a little secret that his Grandpa (also high-level freemason) told him as a young man.

He said "those who truly live life.....are rewarded with it"

I thought that it was just another one of those generic phrases that you find on a Hallmark card.....but after I thought about it for awhile....it made total sense. I'm not sure if these freemasons believe in God or a higher being or 'the watchers' or whatever, but regardless of your faith....this saying rings pretty true. Those people who lie around all day or bit*h and whine about everything in their lives never seem to last to old age...they develop health problems or stress problems and die young. Those who power forward and live life to the fullest seem to live long, happy lives.....my Grandpa smoked, drank and ate like sh*t everyday but he never seemed to want to waste even a second watching TV or laying around....he went and got his pilots license at age 73 then bought a single-engine plane just to boot around in for fun....he smoked and drank until the day he died at age 99 in his sleep from natural causes.

Sorry for the novel....but I thought it was a good piece of advice to pass on