Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Default P.e 4th class or CP rail yard work?

Hello all, am a correctional officer and looking to change career , can't really save anything with only 3k a month after taxes. I know CP rails are hiring i was wondering if it's a good gig or if i take my p.e 4th class at nait online? i don't need that big oil money 35$ plus or even 30 bucks ain't bad? what you guys think ?
Old 12-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassingh View Post
Hello all, am a correctional officer and looking to change career , can't really save anything with only 3k a month after taxes. I know CP rails are hiring i was wondering if it's a good gig or if i take my p.e 4th class at nait online? i don't need that big oil money 35$ plus or even 30 bucks ain't bad? what you guys think ?
Have you looked at the job market and seem if there are any positions available? That's where I would start
Old 12-15-2017, 02:24 PM

I think most 4th power engineers with no experience would be pretty stoked to be clearing 3 k a month considering the majority are unemployed. "Big oil money" is long gone.

The only people I know starting at $35 have 4 years of post secondary, or are doing something that no one else wants to do for good reason. Rail work falls into the latter. Pick your poison.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:38 PM

I should think that 3000 take home based on a 160 hour month must have you at 30 an hour or more
Old 12-15-2017, 04:43 PM

Its going to be a lot easier explaining the law to criminals than the operational challenges your facing to the maintenance team.
I would look for a city police job if it has a service pension as you have a corrections back ground.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:07 PM

I’ve been with CP Rail for 37 years and going to retire next July with a 65,000 a year pension till I die.. been a good gig for me but it can be a hard family life depends on which department you can get on. If there’s a car shop in your area go that route..

Jim...
Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 PM

Yeah i already got deferred by eps for 3 years, i am 29 yrs old and am just thinking of another career right now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Its going to be a lot easier explaining the law to criminals than the operational challenges your facing to the maintenance team.
I would look for a city police job if it has a service pension as you have a corrections back ground.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned

What about the Sheriff's? I thought they paid a little more with less aggravation.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:28 PM

no it's about the same .. they get paid a lil less because of the shift diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
What about the Sheriff's? I thought they paid a little more with less aggravation.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
I’ve been with CP Rail for 37 years and going to retire next July with a 65,000 a year pension till I die.. been a good gig for me but it can be a hard family life depends on which department you can get on. If there’s a car shop in your area go that route..

Jim...
Like a rail car repair shop?

OP: Where are you located?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Like a rail car repair shop?

OP: Where are you located?
Sorry.. yes a rail car repair shop.. Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton.

Jim...
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM

If you go CP go rail car mechanic or locomotive mechanic. Theres a reason they're always hiring conductors.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM

About how much does a CP car repairman make?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:48 PM

CP Edmonton is hiring conductors, $965/wk thru the training process, 2 weeks class in Calgary, rooms, mileage, lunch provided, $25/day meal expense, then OJT in Edmonton for approx 1 month at your expense, 2 weeks class & 2 weeks simulator back in Calgary. Back to Edmonton for more OJT until you are deemed qualified(3 to 4 months possibly) I believe yard rate is $32, foreman is $35 once you are qualified.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 PM

I went through the hiring process with CN for a conductor position. I asked a lot of questions to railroaders on here, and did a lot of homework. But I didn’t really get a full understanding of the demands of the job until I completed all the testing, and went through an orientation session. In the end they offered me a position, but I declined.

No schedule, and you must report to work within 2hours of being called. Some say once you learn the system, and how to manipulate the schedule it’s ok. Maybe it is, but I’ll keep welding for now.

It’s a shame, because I think I really would have enjoyed the work, but I was looking for more stability not less.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot73 View Post
CP Edmonton is hiring conductors, $965/wk thru the training process, 2 weeks class in Calgary, rooms, mileage, lunch provided, $25/day meal expense, then OJT in Edmonton for approx 1 month at your expense, 2 weeks class & 2 weeks simulator back in Calgary. Back to Edmonton for more OJT until you are deemed qualified(3 to 4 months possibly) I believe yard rate is $32, foreman is $35 once you are qualified.

By yard rate are you talking about car repair?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
About how much does a CP car repairman make?
Car shop guys will make anywhere from $30 to $36 an hour depending on what job your working and if you have a welding ticket all the better.

Jim...
Old 12-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
By yard rate are you talking about car repair?
No, he's talking Conductor but they dont get paid by the hour, they get paid by the mile. And theres different rates depending what you get called for. All I'll say about being a conductor is dont hire on in Edmonton with CP, if you want road work. CP Edmonton is all yard work(They do get an occasional Oil train to Hardisty). One other thing to consider is that they fall under Federal Worker Regulation which means you'll be getting one twenty minute break for your entire day of switching.(They did have stop watches but thats gone now) Also how fit are you? A conductor will average 15-20km in the yard a day, up and down rail cars, throwing on brakes and throwing switches. Its not easy, and it'll whip you into shape.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 12-15-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
No, he's talking Conductor but they dont get paid by the hour, they get paid by the mile. And theres different rates depending what you get called for. All I'll say about being a conductor is dont hire on in Edmonton with CP, if you want road work. CP Edmonton is all yard work(They do get an occasional Oil train to Hardisty). One other thing to consider is that they fall under Federal Worker Regulation which means you'll be getting one twenty minute break for your entire day of switching.(They did have stop watches but thats gone now) Also how fit are you? A conductor will average 15-20km in the yard a day, up and down rail cars, throwing on brakes and throwing switches. Its not easy, and it'll whip you into shape.

Iam fit, and not looking for a job. Just wondering what the railroad is paying these days. I've been repairing railcars for 18 years, not for CP or CN though. I've talked to a couple conductors in the past and thought there hours we're a joke and it doesn't look like there wages are any better.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Pick a trade, 40/hr within 4 years if you work hard.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:57 PM

Default Make sure you want change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassingh View Post
This is a little tougher time to change careers right now. You have to weigh out the pay and your chances of getting layed off at a new job.
I’m not saying not to go for it but weigh all of your options carefully. Will your pension be as good in a rail yard?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
This is a little tougher time to change careers right now. You have to weigh out the pay and your chances of getting layed off at a new job.
I’m not saying not to go for it but weigh all of your options carefully. Will your pension be as good in a rail yard?
CP pension is one of the best you can get. Better then Government of Alberta and cost the employee less in contributions.

Edit: Will say you have a pretty good chance of being laid off at least once for a railway. In saying that the chances of a lay-off in Edmonton are slim unless there's a major recession.

Last edited by raab; 12-15-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Iam fit, and not looking for a job. Just wondering what the railroad is paying these days. I've been repairing railcars for 18 years, not for CP or CN though. I've talked to a couple conductors in the past and thought there hours we're a joke and it doesn't look like there wages are any better.
Thanks for the info.
Railroad definitely compensates well, but you have to look at what your giving up for that compensation. If your alright never being able to make plans and dont mind working at several different times of the day(no set schedule you could get called for a train at 7am, then not go back out again until 12 am the next day, then 8pm, then 2am, etc... for your entire career) its not a bad gig. I loved railroading, and didn't mind the schedule, the BS from management finally did me in though.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 PM

Default Didn’t know CP pension was that good.

Quote:
CP pension is one of the best you can get. Better then Government of Alberta and cost the employee less in contributions.

Edit: Will say you have a pretty good chance of being laid off at least once for a railway. In saying that the chances of a lay-off in Edmonton are slim unless there's a major recession.
Or we actually get some pipelines through.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Haha! Every time a pipeline gets canceled I swear more projects get approved and we get busier.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I dont think it would effect the Edmonton boys to much. Still a lot of chemicals, steel, and lumber headed south that need to be switched.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just do it, you make the decision after the training etc if it's what you enjoy.
Plus who knows it might open up other doors within the company but you will never know unless you go out and do it. Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 AM

The railroad schedule is odd to me. One of my best friends is a CP conductor.

I work in the oilfield and also work 24 hours on call, going out at 2 a.m. then 4 p.m. then 5 a.m. ect. No schedule or heads up, just be at the shop in an hour; however, we work 2 weeks on 1 off and you know your shift a year in advance.

It seems odd to me that they don't do a similar shift. I couldn't do the shift work if I never had set days off. You are never able to make plans for anything.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM

One last thing I'll say for conductor is that its training they pay you for. If your looking to change careers its worth taking the training. Work for them for at least a year as that gives you an idea if you can handle the schedule, work, etc.... Once you get some experience you can always switch companies and go to someone like Rail Serve, Cando, Savage, Quinn, SGS, etc... to have a schedule and get paid half decent. A lot of old CN and CP conductors/engineers at those companies.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
One last thing I'll say for conductor is that its training they pay you for. If your looking to change careers its worth taking the training. Work for them for at least a year as that gives you an idea if you can handle the schedule, work, etc.... Once you get some experience you can always switch companies and go to someone like Rail Serve, Cando, Savage, Quinn, SGS, etc... to have a schedule and get paid half decent. A lot of old CN and CP conductors/engineers at those companies.
You do reilze there’s more to railroading than the almighty train & engin department don’t ya???? Don’t forget about us lowly section and gang guys that are keeping the tracks up to snuff.... I know you guys hate us, but we really are just trying to keep your trains on the rails..
just joking with ya, if I could of past the eye test 37 years ago I would be a T&E guy instead of a damn frog welder..

Jim...