Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
So am I old fashioned for thinking windmills are an eyesore?
I wouldn't call it old fashion......
Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Most of the people I know that live around them think they are a bad eyesore.
The land owners who get paid to have them on their land are pretty happy as its pretty generous from what I have heard.
Sounds like you are describing a pump jack
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
Just an observation about wind power that I personally find perplexing to say the least.
When birds land in a tailings pond from an oil production facility and die the oil company is fined heavily for the death of the birds, rightly or wrongly so, I am not sure personally. When birds are killed by wind turbines there is no action taken by the government. Can someone help to understand why that is so? If the oil company is held responsible for where the birds land why then are the wind generation companies not held responsible for where the birds fly? If we want to take it to the next level what about all of the birds that a killed by hydro transmission lines? Why are the birds killed by contact with them not acted upon?
I think the difference there is that birds are killed one at a time by turbines, rather than a bunch all at once by a tailings pond. Makes it much easier to accept or ignore.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I wonder how many they are installing in Edmonton and Calgary?....
oh, that's right...all the people that want them don't want to have to actually see them....
Same goes for coal plants, nuclear plants, etc. There's no difference in regards to NIMBY-ism.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I would prefer 2 pump jacks to a wind turbine.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I would prefer 2 pump jacks to a wind turbine.
Well you're in luck cuz there are 150000
http://www.greenenergyfutures.ca/epi...ck-powerplants
Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well you're in luck cuz there are 150000
http://www.greenenergyfutures.ca/epi...ck-powerplants
Now this is something I can get behind. Using existing infrastructure is crucial to efficient electricity generation.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Your assumption is off, Castle Rock Ridge is out by the Old Man dam north of Pincher Station. Castle Mt is 30km SW of Pincher Creek.
My bad, sorry for the mistake,
Old 12-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I can't even see the pump jack on my land. Not true for a noisy wind turbine.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
So with your finance history do you think the price of $37 per megawatt - hour is a decent price to pay over the next 20 years ???
Its a good price.

But if you believe that's the only cost, you've never reviewed a significant contract.

I know how this current govt works and does(not) math. (Still waiting for the extra 5% on high incomes to balance the budget like they touted during the last election)

So my guess is that the 10 million in subsidies will be more like 500 million. Why else would these producers bid so low....because they are way smarter than the bureaucrats and the politicians who want to continue touting how good they and their fairytale concepts are.

I've also worked for govt and had to unravel /renegotiate some agreements so bad the prior govt employee and/or their politician push, should have been hung for treason or graft.

So a question for you......On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being none, HOW confident are you in the ability of our current politicians being able to negotiate a good deal for Alberta WITHOUT being surprised by the clauses that cost us dearly?? (and remember how surprised this govt was when they bumbled with the PPA's that allowed producers to void their contracts)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Now this is something I can get behind. Using existing infrastructure is crucial to efficient electricity generation.
I agree
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM

As it stands now, most power generating plants own all of their fuel resources where their direct cost is reasonably stable and with enough coal in reserve to last for many, many decades. If they are forced to purchase Natural Gas from an outside source just watch the NG rates soar. Not a good plan.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Its a good price.

But if you believe that's the only cost, you've never reviewed a significant contract.

I know how this current govt works and does(not) math. (Still waiting for the extra 5% on high incomes to balance the budget like they touted during the last election)

So my guess is that the 10 million in subsidies will be more like 500 million. Why else would these producers bid so low....because they are way smarter than the bureaucrats and the politicians who want to continue touting how good they and their fairytale concepts are.

I've also worked for govt and had to unravel /renegotiate some agreements so bad the prior govt employee and/or their politician push, should have been hung for treason or graft.

So a question for you......On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being none, HOW confident are you in the ability of our current politicians being able to negotiate a good deal for Alberta WITHOUT being surprised by the clauses that cost us dearly?? (and remember how surprised this govt was when they bumbled with the PPA's that allowed producers to void their contracts)
As much as I love seeing an alternative energy source developed I would have to give them a "1" on your scale. After all they are still an NDP government.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
As much as I love seeing an alternative energy source developed I would have to give them a "1" on your scale. After all they are still an NDP government.
So were screwed, in other words and the good price is not all that it appears.

And I too would love cost viable alternative energy alternatives...but they don't exist yet.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
It looks like Alberta has 4 new power projects that should be up and producing power by 2019. Seems like the cost of wind power is continuing to drop like a stone.
http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...power-projects
Ok genius, I really wonder if you understand the negative impacts wind turbines have on the landscape and the toll they and the high voltage lines take on birds. I’ve seen it first hand and it’s disgusting. Yet it never gets mentioned.

It’s also quite obvious you don’t understand who is paying for the thousands of wind turbines and high voltage lines needed for these turbines.(I know, taxpayers do). It’s a freaking joke that people are so stupid and think this is a great idea.

Last winter there were hundreds of geese, hundreds of ducks, and some bald and golden eagles laying under a 240v KV line just north of Pincher Creek.

I guesss it’s what we deal with all in the name of “Alternative Energery”.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
It looks like Alberta has 4 new power projects that should be up and producing power by 2019. Seems like the cost of wind power is continuing to drop like a stone.
http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...power-projects
Someone pointed out already, what is your real point of being here at AO? It’s quite obvious you have nothing to add hunting, fishiing, or trapping related. You are only here to push or argue political opinions.

So please explain why you are here, other than politics? Considering you live in BC... after all this is Alberta Outdoorsmen, isn’t it???

How many wind turbines can you see out your window?

Last edited by crazy_davey; 12-16-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Someone pointed out already, what is your real point of being here at AO? It’s quite obvious you have nothing to add hunting, fishiing, or trapping related. You are only here to push or argue political opinions.

So please explain why you are here, other than politics? Considering you live in BC... after all this is Alberta Outdoorsmen, isn’t it???

How many wind turbines can you see out your window?
Actually I'm in my place in Calgary so I can see none. Maybe some day
Old 12-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
So am I old fashioned for thinking windmills are an eyesore?
Nope. I agree 100%. We will soon be in the same boat as the people in Ontario with exploding power rates to support this governments ideology
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
GREAT!!! The government (meaning you and me) will subsidize any difference between the bidders price and the overall wholesale price in the province! Investors guaranteed to make money and the taxpayer guaranteed to be screwed. It's the NDP way. It's all there in the story.
Yes. Cost to produce is still prohibitively high to invest in...however when government subsidies cover half the different these companies make money hand over fist. Problem is Scott's power bill will climb tremendously. While he refuses to be proactive and spend money on climate change waste..ie carbon credits, Prius, using only transit..elimitating travel...he will be happen if we all get the government waste thrust upon us.

Funny how he is not screaming that due to lack of pipeline egress Alberta tax payers today are losing $1.5 - 2million per day in lost oil sales income.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
I think the difference there is that birds are killed one at a time by turbines, rather than a bunch all at once by a tailings pond. Makes it much easier to accept or ignore.
No. Real reason is the wind companies self regulate and self report and mostly shovel and shut up.

Oil companies 100% report.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Has anyone seen the plans on how we are supposed to get our "fair share" of the royalties on the wind?...after all it belongs to us...
Old 12-16-2017, 08:54 AM

A land owner losses far more rights with a wind lease than an oil and gas lease.

https://law.pace.edu/sites/default/f..._26OCT11_0.pdf

Be forewarned before signing. A quick google search shows a huge number of landowners against wind farms.

These are high impact installations. Never low impact like most oil or gas wells.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Has anyone seen the plans on how we are supposed to get our "fair share" of the royalties on the wind?...after all it belongs to us...
The NDP use the inverse principle of "unfair subsidy" instead.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

YAAAAAWWWWNNNNM...

Wake me up when we are disussing zero point and sonoluminescence.

The international patent gate keepers are the real enemy of the people.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Easy Davey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Ok genius, I really wonder if you understand the negative impacts wind turbines have on the landscape and the toll they and the high voltage lines take on birds. I’ve seen it first hand and it’s disgusting. Yet it never gets mentioned.

It’s also quite obvious you don’t understand who is paying for the thousands of wind turbines and high voltage lines needed for these turbines.(I know, taxpayers do). It’s a freaking joke that people are so stupid and think this is a great idea.

Last winter there were hundreds of geese, hundreds of ducks, and some bald and golden eagles laying under a 240v KV line just north of Pincher Creek.

I guesss it’s what we deal with all in the name of “Alternative Energery”.
The reason that the bird and endangered bat fatality numbers from wind turbines never hit the news is because it is against the governments naritave for clean power no matter the cost. The media has to fall in line with this narrative to get the tax dollar handouts.
It a fact that wind turbines kill tens of thousands more birds than the oil sands but to push there green energy naritive they turn the most regulated oilfield in the world into the bad guy while the windmills turn under the radar.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Nope. I agree 100%. We will soon be in the same boat as the people in Ontario with exploding power rates to support this governments ideology
I think they locked in the price at 3.7 cents for 20 years. That will kinda draw attention to other producers if they try to charge over that.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Funny how he is not screaming that due to lack of pipeline egress Alberta tax payers today are losing $1.5 - 2million per day in lost oil sales income.
Actually I agree with you over the pipeline issue. Buying offshore oil vs Canadian oil has never made sense.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think they locked in the price at 3.7 cents for 20 years. That will kinda draw attention to other producers if they try to charge over that.
So who pays the difference? Is it just me or are you the disconnected?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
If the sale price is below what the company bids, they are reimbursed by the government. If the sale price is higher than 3.7, the excess goes back to the government.

Gives the companies the stability they need to justify the investment.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Well considering that the pool price for coal produced power was $49 in 2014 it seems like your off base yet again......