Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Default Guys with dedicated winter tires on their trucks… studded or not?

Guys with dedicated winter tires on their trucks… studded or not?
60/40 pavement/gravel and some city driving.
I’ve never had studded tires what’s the pros cons
Thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 02:31 PM

Can't afford them on my current truck. But had them on my car before. Would definitely suggest buying them. The biggest difference is stopping and starting on ice. Really it won't make a huge difference on powder or slush. Now I did a ton of town driving where the road where sheet ice so the studs where amazing. I have heard people say they make driving on pavement slick. I never found this to be true my self. Though you will feel bad hearing the noise of them wearing down. As for how long they last? I did two winters on my car driving everyday and my brother just took the tires for his car. The studs are still in great shape. Just be a bit more picky of when you change tires so not to wear them down. Anyway I would definitely suggest getting them on your tires.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM
AO Sponsor

It depends on what you like of course...

I am the first guy to say that studs are not necessary, but if you want to step up a level on your ice traction, it will do that in spades. Where the improvements are most noticeable is at both low speeds when approaching icy intersection or starting on an icy hill, and at highway speeds when it is slick out and you are rolling along you definitely feel more planted.

By no means is it infallible, but it will absolutely add a layer to you abilities. You will hold traction longer and when you break traction you will recover faster. The main drawback is simply noise. They definitely are not as quiet as a non-studded tire. It isn't crazy or anything, but there is a low hum that you will here when the radio is off. The other negative to consider that they do scratch hard surfaces, so if you have that beautiful polished concrete garage floor, it will mark it up...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM

I have dedicated snow tires and have never had studs or felt the need. I'm sure studs would improve traction even more, but with good snow tires (not just M&S), auto 4 wheel drive, and a bit of weight, I've never had a problem. And less noise on pavement.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Default studded winter tires.

Went to dedicated winter tires with studs.
It is a little more expensive but taking into account that only run them half a year it all works out.
Would not do another set without studs. Big improvement on ice.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965BB View Post
Went to dedicated winter tires with studs.
It is a little more expensive but taking into account that only run them half a year it all works out.
Would not do another set without studs. Big improvement on ice.
Do you find them noisy when running on dry pavement?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Some studded versions of winter tires actually get terrible rating for other types of conditions, I have Hakkas LT2’s on my truck not studded, the studded version was slightly better for ice braking but terrible for cornering and dry/wet braking.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:30 PM

no noticeable difference. pulled a 35 ft. sled trailer to Revelstoke last winter on crappy roads . really stuck to the road, no slipping or skidding.
safety factor makes it worth it I think.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Do you find them noisy when running on dry pavement?
no worse than mud tires imo
Old 11-20-2017, 03:51 PM

I just put new Nokian Hakkas on my truck. They are great but I wish I had gone with studs. Putting studded Nokians on my wife's Subaru.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up Winter 'Ice' Tires

Quote:

I have dedicated snow tires and have never had studs or felt the need. I'm sure studs would improve traction even more, but with good snow tires (not just M&S), auto 4 wheel drive, and a bit of weight, I've never had a problem. And less noise on pavement.

Same ^ here!

I stopped using studded tires years ago. Now in the winter, I run Michelin X-Ice Tires on both our vehicles ... the rubber compound sticks to the ice (at the molecular level) so well, I never even think of studs anymore.

Selkirk
Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Same ^ here!

I stopped using studded tires years ago. Now in the winter, I run Michelin X-Ice Tires on both our vehicles ... the rubber compound sticks to the ice (at the molecular level) so well, I never even think of studs anymore.
Selkirk
Yeah, I've done a fair bit of research and I think those x-ice are about the best ice tires you can buy. Always top rated in tests. Used to run them. I bought Blizzaks for the wife's Subaru which are SLIGHTLY less capable on ice than the x-ice (like second best in most tests) but slightly better in deep snow. Six of one half a dozen of the other.

My son just had all seasons on his truck and had to do some highway driving on his commute to work (new job, new-to-him truck and little money). I convinced him to get Blizzaks (well OK I paid for them LOL) and he reports he can really feel the difference traction-wise at highway speeds.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPants View Post
Some studded versions of winter tires actually get terrible rating for other types of conditions, I have Hakkas LT2’s on my truck not studded, the studded version was slightly better for ice braking but terrible for cornering and dry/wet braking.
Whoever provided the ratings was full of it. They are great tires with studs and I haven’t noticed any shortcomings.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 PM

I watched a study on studded tires years ago Was conducted in either sweden or Norway. Tested all types of tires from all season to proper snow tires to studded snow tires atc. By far the best in stopping and accelerating tested were the studded proper snow tires. Cant remember exact numbers but studded tires stopped something like 70% less distance. I have them on the wifes vehicles now for over 12 years wouldnt be without them. Im sure if you google studded tire tests you'll find results

Gord
Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Who did the ratings, Dumb & Dumber? If you have never ran studded Hak's you really shouldn't comment on them, cause you don't know. I run studded Haks on all 4 of my vehicles ( duramax, 3/4ton gas, Escalade, & a Acura TL) would't run anything else on snow & ice.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:09 PM

I've had some nokians without studs in the past. They're good.
Right now I have cooper wsc s studded and they are great. I am using on about 70 gravel 10 field 20 pave. If I had the nokians studded they would probably be as good or better imo.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:57 PM

Interesting. I went from X Ice to Hak 4s, and then to Studded Haks, and each step was a step up. I certainly from experience say the Haks are better. I run an E-250 extended cargo for work, and as anyone who has winter driven an extended van knows, they are snotty to drive on ice.

The studded Haks make a world of difference. My son and wife have studded Haks on their CUVS, my daughters run non studded Haks on their 3 Toyotas.....we swear by them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Don't have a truck but an SUV. Have been running winter tires for many years, tried studded and not studded. Studded tires lasted only one season, then the studs wear out and actually those tires became even worse than all season. Used Blizzaks, X-Ice, nakkas and Pirelli . X-Ice were one of the worst, only performed good for the first season. By far the best are Toyo studdless Observer , they come under the different names for different cars. Last longest, performed the best on ice and snow.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Who did the ratings, Dumb & Dumber? If you have never ran studded Hak's you really shouldn't comment on them, cause you don't know. I run studded Haks on all 4 of my vehicles ( duramax, 3/4ton gas, Escalade, & a Acura TL) would't run anything else on snow & ice.
That would be Kal Tire’s independent testing, and as I said it had better ratings for snow and ice, but worse ratings on cornering and braking on DRY pavement.

Studded:
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...020440010.html

No Studs:
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...020440009.html

Last edited by MrPants; 11-20-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
That would be Kal Tire’s independent testing, and as I said it had better ratings for snow and ice, but worse ratings on cornering and braking on DRY pavement.

Studded:
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...020440010.html

No Studs:
https://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/hak...020440009.html
By no means am I bad mouthing any company, but if you think an companies testing is truly independent, you are buying int their marketing. I have been on more tire testing and ride and drives than I could every count, and far more than the average bear in my 30 years of working in the tire business, and I always have a giggle at every one as no matter what the company, in every single occasion, the company that is putting it on ends up with their tires coming out on top.

The problem with "tire tests" is that the result are super easy to skew and manipulate. A tires performance is dramatically affected by such a large multitude of factors that it is virtually impossible to test empirically and account for everything, which at worst makes tire testing something easy to manipulate to show the results that most benefit you as a company, or at the very best showing results in a very small window across a broad spectrum.

For example, you can line up 10 identical cars, all with different tires, perform you tests and end up with a set of results. Now do the same tests with the same tires, but say a different car that weights 1500lbs more, and the results will be totally different. Or maybe the temperature outside is 10 degrees warmer or cooler, and the results change dramatically again. Or maybe the road surface is different, or maybe the driver is different, or maybe the horsepower levels are higher, or maybe the tire pressures are lower or higher, etc, etc, etc...

Really, you can put anything on a chart and make something look bad and something look good, but in the real world, in you own specific set of circumstances, what looks bad on a chart may actually be the best option for you.

In the end, take all tire testing with a grain of salt because there are almost always ulterior motives behind the results, or as I tried to explain, even with the best of intentions, the results are such a small slice of real life that you cannot apply the results to the vast majority of the populations specific needs and requirements.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It depends on what you like of course...

I am the first guy to say that studs are not necessary, but if you want to step up a level on your ice traction, it will do that in spades. Where the improvements are most noticeable is at both low speeds when approaching icy intersection or starting on an icy hill, and at highway speeds when it is slick out and you are rolling along you definitely feel more planted.

My studs sure helped on Sunday going up the 22 ! I wouldnt be without them on my truck, living out here.

At low speeds it sounds like I am driving on corn flakes. lol
Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:

That's a good point. Studded snow tires are clearly great on ice. But let's face it, especially for those of us that live in or near cities, we are driving on dry pavement most of the time even in January. How is traction and emergency braking on a dry Deerfoot or QE2 at 100-120 kph? I think our choices may need to be dictated by our locations and circumstances.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
That's a good point. Studded snow tires are clearly great on ice. But let's face it, especially for those of us that live in or near cities, we are driving on dry pavement most of the time even in January. How is traction and emergency braking on a dry Deerfoot or QE2 at 100-120 kph? I think our choices may need to be dictated by our locations and circumstances.
That's the debate i've been arguing with myself about. Here in Calgary we get so many chinooks that I've been hesitant about getting full winter tires for my truck, let alone studded. I tow a fair amount, and drive around town a lot. When I'm out in the boonies I'm really wanting a better tire though.

I'm looking at some 'all weather' duratracs for my pickup with the understanding they aren't a winter tire. Seems for my use it's the best bang for my buck.

If I was in Red Deer or North, then I'd be seriously looking at a full winter tire setup. Just have troubles justifying it here in Chinook city. Although we are supposed to have an exceptionally snowy and cold winter this year...

For my wife's car, we went full winter.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Studded Winter tires work great. Had my first set of studded Hankook MT 01, with studs twenty years ago. The Hankook worked great, but loud. Then installed studded Hakk #5 on Suby, for wife. They worked excellent. Now have Michelin X-ice. Quieter (no studs), effective, still keep 300lbs of weight material in truck box. Picked up Michelin on Kijiji with 8000km on them with Steel rims/sensors for $500.00. The previous owner sold his truck. Did not need these wheels. So far all good.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
That's the debate i've been arguing with myself about. Here in Calgary we get so many chinooks that I've been hesitant about getting full winter tires for my truck, let alone studded. I tow a fair amount, and drive around town a lot. When I'm out in the boonies I'm really wanting a better tire though.

I'm looking at some 'all weather' duratracs for my pickup with the understanding they aren't a winter tire. Seems for my use it's the best bang for my buck.

If I was in Red Deer or North, then I'd be seriously looking at a full winter tire setup. Just have troubles justifying it here in Chinook city. Although we are supposed to have an exceptionally snowy and cold winter this year...

I used to think that too. The chinooks create a ton of ice and I’ve had some close calls at intersections. Bought studded hakkapalitas after that and wouldn’t change. Wife has the non studded version on her Acadia. Studded are better.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

I got duratracs for my truck from Canadian Tire last winter. Definitely happy with them.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:18 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
It is definitely a consideration, but for most of us in normal driving circumstances, it is a non-issue. I know I have used studded tires forever and I typically am the driver doing up to 130kph and I have never had an issue with dry weather traction under emergency braking or maneuvering. I mean it isn't something I would recommend to someone who is auto-crossing of course, but in real world scenario's it does not create issues at the degree some people will lead you to believe.

That doesn't mean it is the best thing bar-none for you or anyone else for sure, but it is a great option for people who value the benefits it generates.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Same ^ here!

Selkirk
The X-Ice are great for the first two years. Then, you've worn out the really soft/good rubber and they're useless. By contrast, studded tires will easily run for 4 years without the studs being worn down.

I run studded Hakkas 7s on my car and they're awesome.

I ran studded Hercules Avalanche on my 4x4 in Edmonton and they were definitely better than non-studded, especially with no weight in the back end.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 PM

Smile To Each, Their Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
The X-Ice are great for the first two years. Then, you've worn out the really soft/good rubber and they're useless. By contrast, studded tires will easily run for 4 years without the studs being worn down.

I run studded Hakkas 7s on my car and they're awesome.

I ran studded Hercules Avalanche on my 4x4 in Edmonton and they were definitely better than non-studded, especially with no weight in the back end.
I gave up studded tires years ago, and I've been running ice-type tires for many winters now. As with any of the winter-specific tires ... to keep wear to a minimum, the trick is to not put them on until you 'actually' need them (~ mid Nov.), and then take them off in the early spring. During the shoulder seasons when it's not too cold, my all-seasons seem to work just fine.

My latest ice tires (Michelin X-Ice) are on their 4th winter now. They still grip like new, and show only nominal tread loss (still well above the winter wear-bars).

Good luck with those studs ... to each, their own.

Selkirk
Old 12-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Question for the guys running studded Haks on there diesel trucks, any one have problems with the studs coming out?

I am on my second set, the first set lost 80% of the studs within 25 k, Kal tire replaced them under warranty. The second set is starting to loose studs with less than 20k. The tires work great, it just sucks loosing the studs, is this normal? Or crap tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk