Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Still have not stepped into any wholesale sports since they annouced there closing....
X2

x3

Twice I got good service there, rest of the times it was mediocre to down right rude and uninterested. They won't see another dime from me. Had much better service from other bigger stores.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:13 PM

There were some serious deals the last couple weeks, I saved almost $450 on a really nice scope. Willing to put up with a fair bit of BS when the deal is good enough!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:15 PM

Saskatoon pretty cleaned out too, overheard a guy saying this is the liquidation companies most successful one so far.

Meaning the return on investment is the highest ratio.

LC
Old 12-14-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Saskatoon pretty cleaned out too, overheard a guy saying this is the liquidation companies most successful one so far.

Meaning the return on investment is the highest ratio.

LC
They are still selling most things at a profit/breaking even so obviously they have done well.

Lots of what is left(clothing etc) isn't even WSS stock but crap the liquidator brought in.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
They are still selling most things at a profit/breaking even so obviously they have done well.

Lots of what is left(clothing etc) isn't even WSS stock but crap the liquidator brought in.
Agreed, they used to stock some quality clothing, but the crap that is on the shelves now is compiled of some off-brands right from a sea can I'm sure. That being said there were a couple of rifles at 40% off that I had a hard time walking away from (some nice Remington BDL's, and decent shotguns)
Old 12-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

That's why all that crap is there!

LC
Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Anyone needing a 30-06 head on over to the north store. Guns are flying off the shelf.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 PM

I was in the South store today. Super picked over. Ammo wise just a couple odd ball centerfire boxes, oddball target loads (either X-lite or Heavy handicap loads) and waterfowl loads.

Rifle wise there are essentially just cheap Axis type guns. I think there were two BDLs left and 1 left handed XBolt. Only pricy shotguns left are Browning and Remington autoloaders. A number of pump guns still on the rack.

All handguns are gone.

I bought a SXP Defender for $252 + tax, with the $25 rebate on right now it will be $239.60 all in.

I was hoping to snag a CZ Rimfire or a handgun of some sort, but no such luck.

I think the guns will all be gone soon. In the 20 minutes I was in the store probably 15 or so guns were sold.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Wss

We went into Calgary today (Dec 14) and spent an hour or so walking around. Store is pretty much picked over now. Maybe a dozen guns on the rack, looked like some good prices but there was a good 30 people waiting in the cue. Some ammo, but really nothing I couldnt live without. Lots of dies left, some brass.

Fishing dept, knives and binos pretty slim on stock.

Store fixtures are being priced and stacked on one side.

Wife picked up some clothes, like guys said, off brand stuff.

Sorry to see them go, always was my destination for stuff.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Biggest problem I see is Wholsales blow out time is Christmas. A time when most retailers depend on making their main Sales for the year. Will be especially tough for the smaller Mom & Pop shops to weather the storm and stay alive for another year. Don't forget to support your smaller retails.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 AM

I would think that the ma and pop stores would do well this Christmas with the WSS stores not having anything to sell to those buying for the outdoors person in their family.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I would think that the ma and pop stores would do well this Christmas with the WSS stores not having anything to sell to those buying for the outdoors person in their family.
I think his point was they are buying, but buying everything at WWS because its on sale.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I think his point was they are buying, but buying everything at WWS because its on sale.
You may be right but I would expect that the feeding frenzy at WSS is not Christmas shoppers but sportsmen looking for a deal.

During the Christmas season a lot of the business is from significant others and family buying gifts for their sportsman. Since Christmas business is often just before and then big after boxing day, a lot of these Christmas shoppers will look elsewhere.

Many Christmas shoppers want the option of a return if the gift is not what their sportsman wants. There will be no returns from the liquidators and though open after Christmas, it will be a leftover crumbs sale.

Here is hoping that all sporting retailers will do well this Christmas and stay healthy beyond so that there will be some of our favorite stores still in business.

Last edited by covey ridge; 12-15-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Hit the north store early this morning, picked up a Benelli Nova Tac 12 for $420, checked out a very nice Brno BO 803, 30-06 over and under, nicely done, decent wood, list of $2900, sale price of a little over $1700, came back for a second look and it was gone, he who hesitates ! I was told that they sold over 700 firearms in the last two days, pickings are getting kind of slim.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:47 PM

I was in the calgary store today, Ammunition wise if you wanted 270 WSM or 300 WSM there were pallets of it, and quite a bit of 7x57 mauser. Minimal other calibers.
One safe was a good deal, but the lock was broken- if you're a gunsmith or know a buddy I believe it was $1200 for a 50 gun winchester safe.

Didn't buy anything. Store was very very empty looking. 20 or so rifles left behind the counter, nothing special that I saw.

Flanny
Old 12-15-2017, 06:55 PM

Anyone see if the edmonton north or south stores have any muzzle loader rifles left?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
I was in the calgary store today, Ammunition wise if you wanted 270 WSM or 300 WSM there were pallets of it, and quite a bit of 7x57 mauser.
Is ammo still 40% off?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:09 PM

I was in the South Edmonton store today and it was pretty empty as well. There was not many guns left on the back wall, pretty much zero Archery equipment, all the clothing and footwear seemed like the regular prices were jacked sky high, so the sale prices didn’t really seem like that good of a deal. Looked like there was some good deals on fishing equipment, but I don’t really fish all that often. I left empty handed, happy to have avoided an impulse buy! Now I can keep saving for my new bow. Good luck to anyone who ventures out to the store this weekend, there are still good deals to be had. I just wasn’t interested in any of the available stock.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

A neat story. I had noticed some 22 ammo on the shelf that I might be interested in. But I walked away from it to ponder over other stuff. When I walked back to that shelf, all of that 22 ammo was gone. I voiced a muted "oh darn" statement. The guy standing beside me had put it all in his shopping basket. Hearing my disappointment, he handed me a couple of boxes and said "Merry Christmas". He then told me that he'd love to hunt gophers with his son. but unfortunately he lives in the city and isn't aware of many good gopher patches. I gave him my business card and informed him that he could come out to my neck of the woods and shoot gophers all day long. When he saw my business card, he told me that "he had 3 guns that needed an overhaul". The trip to WSS didn't yield a huge saving, but I made a friend, and how cool is that?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
A neat story. I had noticed some 22 ammo on the shelf that I might be interested in. But I walked away from it to ponder over other stuff. When I walked back to that shelf, all of that 22 ammo was gone. I voiced a muted "oh darn" statement. The guy standing beside me had put it all in his shopping basket. Hearing my disappointment, he handed me a couple of boxes and said "Merry Christmas". He then told me that he'd love to hunt gophers with his son. but unfortunately he lives in the city and isn't aware of many good gopher patches. I gave him my business card and informed him that he could come out to my neck of the woods and shoot gophers all day long. When he saw my business card, he told me that "he had 3 guns that needed an overhaul". The trip to WSS didn't yield a huge saving, but I made a friend, and how cool is that?
Well done! The more we interact, the more fun we have..
Old 12-16-2017, 08:55 AM

With the $100 US mailing rebate on savages. Can get an axis pretty cheap right now from wholesale
Old 12-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
With the $100 US mailing rebate on savages. Can get an axis pretty cheap right now from wholesale
You're correct, but a guy might be hard pressed to find a store that even has an Axis left in inventory
Old 12-16-2017, 12:12 PM

Lots left in 30-06 in Edmonton north. Although talking to the counter guy. Down to around 100 guns in total.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Some good deals at Edmonton north yesterday, saw 2 guys buy 10 or 11 guns when I was there.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
You're correct, but a guy might be hard pressed to find a store that even has an Axis left in inventory
Well I guess I'm eating my words right now, accidentally walked out of the calgary location carrying an axis in 243. . .

Hopefully this piece of junk shoots as accurately as my other piece of junk in .223
Old 12-16-2017, 04:27 PM

I'm betting that for the next year the Guns & Ammo section of the buy/sell is inundated with "WTS- BNIB......"
Old 12-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

double post. Sorry

Last edited by gitrdun; 12-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I stopped into the WSS in Calgary yesterday. Not many guns left on the rack. I was looking at some Browning High Velocity .22 ammo on the shelf. Walked away for a couple of minutes and they were all gone. The fellow standing next to me had all of them in his basket. He noted my disappointment and reached into his basket and gave me 2 boxes. He then told me that he lives in the city and had issues getting permissions to gopher hunt with his son. I gave him my business card and told him to call me in the spring and that I would hook him up with awesome gopher hunting. Upon seeing my card, he informed me that he wanted 3 firearms repaired. I didn't get all of that much from my visit, except for the fact that I made a potential friend.
Your split personality already posted this!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Your split personality already posted this!
Dang, I noticed that but had forgotten. OOOps, sorry.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I'm betting that for the next year the Guns & Ammo section of the buy/sell is inundated with "WTS- BNIB......"
Maybe its just me, but it seems like its happening already. Think I've seen 5 BNIB rifles for sale in the last two days. Could be just a coincidence.