Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Default Help Me Choose A Tent

Hey guys, I am looking at buying a tent for hunting season and the odd winter trip. There are so many to choose from. During hunting season I need to have my own sleeping quarters away from the main tent for the following reasons. 1) Cpap machine with generator and 2) I am allergic to deer, moose, and elk hair/hides.
I am very blessed to have friends that have no problem skinning for me, but I cant be around them ounce the animal is down. Even riding in the same vehicle where clothing may be contaminated will cause me to have an attack.
So I was looking for something small to accommodate myself and maybe a second person, gear and a wood stove.
Do I go with an 8x10 wall tent? Tipi style tent? or any other options out there that you would recommend?
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Hiking in ? If not I would look at a arctic oven from Alaskan tent and tarp
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 PM

This may sound kooky, but I assure you I'm serious. How about an Eskimo Fatfish 6120i. Great 1 or 2 man portable set up. Windows are only Velcro'd in. Pop one out and replace with stove ring (same as in wall tent). Multi season use out of this setup. Put some thought into this. You'd be hard pressed to answer "why not?".
Old 12-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
This may sound kooky, but I assure you I'm serious. How about an Eskimo Fatfish 6120i. Great 1 or 2 man portable set up. Windows are only Velcro'd in. Pop one out and replace with stove ring (same as in wall tent). Multi season use out of this setup. Put some thought into this. You'd be hard pressed to answer "why not?".
I think about these lots for hunt camp and only reason I can think not to us the small pain in the butt zippered doors
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Arctic oven and Wall tents breath. Moisture?

Someone has to have a wood stove in there ice shack???
Old 12-15-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a tent for hunting season and the odd winter trip. There are so many to choose from. During hunting season I need to have my own sleeping quarters away from the main tent for the following reasons. 1) Cpap machine with generator and 2) I am allergic to deer, moose, and elk hair/hides.
I am very blessed to have friends that have no problem skinning for me, but I cant be around them ounce the animal is down. Even riding in the same vehicle where clothing may be contaminated will cause me to have an attack.
So I was looking for something small to accommodate myself and maybe a second person, gear and a wood stove.
Do I go with an 8x10 wall tent? Tipi style tent? or any other options out there that you would recommend?
Thanks for the help.
I vote small wall tent.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Arctic oven and Wall tents breath. Moisture?

Someone has to have a wood stove in there ice shack???
Insulated fabric breathes. Not waterproof so a fly is a must. Tent is a multi use $650 investment. All I see is a win win situation
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 PM

Another option to convert ice tent. For me, i would not consider this route without wood stove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0937.jpg (12.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 PM

Check this out:
http://atuktents.com

P.S. I hope you’re still loving that Marlin.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 PM

For what you’ve described I would go with a smaller arctic oven with wood stove. I’m seriously looking at a larger model, but I think that would work good for you.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 PM

When my wall tent finally kicks the bucket i will be buying and arctic oven tent
Old 12-16-2017, 12:51 PM

There are a couple Arctic Ovens for sale in AO buy and sell.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:43 PM

After a long discussion with the wife she recommends that I use our truck camper as the best alternative for all of my health conditions. She insists that with the canvas tents even if I were to buy new I would still have problems with my asthma with old mildew and the canvas smell. The camper would allow me to be self contained as well. Access to camp is not an issue and is on private land. So this is the way I will go. At first she was against me using it, as she was afraid that it would get damaged, dirty and that it would get ruined. You see my wife is not an outdoors person at all and it takes everything to get her out. She loves our camper because of the condition it is in and wanted to keep it that way.
Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Have a look at the Arctic Fox Esker 10X10 pyramid. I went twith the 9X9 and regret it a bit. Just a bit tight to get the cot in. The extra foot would do it. I have a small wood stove made from a 10 pound propane bottle. It heats it great and doesn't take too much room.
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment...ent-10x10.html