Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2021, 09:48 AM

Default Trailer title

A family friend passed away a little over a year ago and didn't have a will, the kids started getting things sorted out and started giving things away/ selling things that didn't have titles to transfer quite soon after

They knew I was looking for a 5th wheel and the one he had needed a bit of work so they gave it to me, I got it road worthy and whatnot and did a little bit of upgrading to a few little things.

Fast forward to now and I've been paying to store/ using it for about 14 months, still waiting to receive a title for it. If for any reason something doesn't work out with the whole situation is there anything that anyone can recommend I do?

This was a very spur of the moment decision and they made it seem like it was going to be a seamless "transaction" but now its got me wondering if it was worth it for the potential loss of my time / parts to get it going

I've been trying to research this but it seems like this doesn't happen all that often (just my luck the way things have been going lately) and I was hoping that someone here might have a little bit of insight/ know someone who went through a similar situation so I can sort of prepare to cover my behind if you-know-what hits the fan

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2021, 10:20 AM

All you need is a bill of sale from the executor with the VIN and full description on it. You can then register the trailer to you, you don't need to find the original registration to do that. There is no such thing really as a title to a trailer or motor vehicle, just evidence of who it was last registered to. Just so you know, if you really want to, take the VIN and full description of the trailer down to a registry. They should be able to easily pull up the last registration and plate that was on it. (You will need a copy of the Death certificate and appointment of the executor, as well when you go into registry)

Last edited by Dean2; 08-21-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:19 AM

Just be very comfortable and careful with the kids. If anything has any significant value say thousands or 10's of thousands of dollars, whoever signs the bill of sale has to be legally able to sign.

Very unlikely, but if anything is contested, or there is any acrimony amongst the kids, I'd be more careful. Kinda like buying something from a dude who's in the process of getting divorced. Is he legally in the position to sell?

If the right person signs the bill of sale, you're free and clear, then if his/her siblings are po'd the trailer was sold and for how much, that's between them. Not you.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:26 PM

If there's no will be very careful as there is no executor unless they can apply for one. You would have to get them all to sign. This could go off the rails quick if even one disagrees. Hopefully they're smart enough to not fight over things.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
If there's no will be very careful as there is no executor unless they can apply for one. You would have to get them all to sign. This could go off the rails quick if even one disagrees. Hopefully they're smart enough to not fight over things.
Agreed

Honestly I would have just stayed the hell away. Any estate that didn’t have its affairs in order prior to death almost always goes totally sideways, even if everyone appears on the same page. Who knows what other “uncles” or “cousins” come out of the wood work and start saying that it was promised to them? Good way to wrapped up in some bad family matters and it doesn’t sound like the kids are handling this the proper way.

I mean I guess could be worth the potential headache if it’s in nice shape and worth a couple grand but just my $0.02.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Agreed

Honestly I would have just stayed the hell away. Any estate that didn’t have its affairs in order prior to death almost always goes totally sideways, even if everyone appears on the same page. Who knows what other “uncles” or “cousins” come out of the wood work and start saying that it was promised to them? Good way to wrapped up in some bad family matters and it doesn’t sound like the kids are handling this the proper way.

I mean I guess could be worth the potential headache if it’s in nice shape and worth a couple grand but just my $0.02.
The nice thing is if it does all go sideways, I can remove a few of the things of value that I put into it and either keep them for the next trailer or sell them.

Although I do agree with you, if I was thinking more at the time I would have passed or said ill wait until I can get a bill of sale

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2021, 11:20 AM

my local motor vehicle registry says to get a bill of sale made out
and then GO OVER TO THE SIDE COUNTER AND SEE IF A SIGNATURE APPEARS

just get the date right

let a signature appear of the executor

The way they explained it to me as I suggested it may be a tad illegal was

THE OFFICIAL GOVT OF ALBERTA POLICY IS NOT TO LOOK BEHIND THE BILL OF SALE TO AUTHENTICATE IT JUST MERELY REGISTER IT when someone is standing in front of you, that if]s the extent of their involvement

we did that when wife’s mother died and she could not sign a bill of sale to,the car we get here for a dollar 4 years ago, a 5 year old Ford

would I do it again, yes, as long as you are merely reflecting an actual transaction you should be ok

if someone in the estate complained tell them to sue the executor or whomever you purchased it from

my take on this your MILAGE may vary

or hire a lawyer and wait for the estate for a few years your choice

has anyone been hurt or harmed in this No.

shady or slippery no it merely reflects what has legally happened and apparently this is done daily in alberta

Dealers do this all the time rather than have the seller come into the office they just take care of it