Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 06:26 PM

Thumbs down Random Camping fees Done Deal

https://cochranenow.com/articles/ran...longer-be-free

Looks like its a done deal for Fees starting June 1 2021.

Just another tax grab the AB Gov claim the fee revenue will go into conservation... Doubtful just more lies
Old 04-12-2021, 06:33 PM

Well only time will tell if it does anything besides collect money from the honest

I am not a supporter personally
Old 04-12-2021, 06:35 PM

$30 a year per adult, if it actually goes into enforcement I’m ok with it but there likely will be next to nothing showing for this so I’m not. If we see them hire some additional f&w for the foothills/mountains shortly I’ll gladly eat my words but I doubt it.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:43 PM

It is not yet a done deal bill 64 is not passed
Old 04-12-2021, 06:49 PM

In the news release they announced they had already made plans to hire another 20 Conservation officers and 50 additional parks and sundry staff

In my opinion the additional staff will not be enough to monitor half of the proposed green area.

So in essence the 20 new officers that should have been added to the ranks to enforce laws. Will instead become camp wardens.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
$30 a year per adult, if it actually goes into enforcement I’m ok with it but there likely will be next to nothing showing for this so I’m not. If we see them hire some additional f&w for the foothills/mountains shortly I’ll gladly eat my words but I doubt it.
It says in the article that they have hired 20 new CO’s
A extra one specifically for the ghost area

I think this is a good idea
Makes people, just a touch, more accountable
Old 04-12-2021, 08:15 PM
Banned

I wouldn't have, to but would pay the fee in the hope the money would actually be put to good use.

I camp in my rig along he FTR 3-4 times a year.

I doubt the messy slobs that are part of the problem will be compliant though.

End of the day though just another tax.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:29 PM

Another article states
“The province said an online survey that included the public and stakeholder groups found the majority of Albertans generally support the concept of user-based fees, if used to support sustainable recreation. ”

Nope. Majority of Alberta Outdoorsmen do not support the concept of user fees.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=396787

I’ll send out a couple emails to reporters to let them know of the public poll here.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:35 PM

First Kenney sells the Eastern Slopes to foreign mining companies then he charges locals for recreational use. Gotta pay for his health and education cuts somehow!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
In the news release they announced they had already made plans to hire another 20 Conservation officers and 50 additional parks and sundry staff

In my opinion the additional staff will not be enough to monitor half of the proposed green area.

So in essence the 20 new officers that should have been added to the ranks to enforce laws. Will instead become camp wardens.
There’s already adds up for provincial recreation officials? Or some such nonsense. Probably means another branch and uniform.

Where is the conservative side of our government?? I also have no faith that this money will in anyway go to conservation
Old 04-12-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

I think it could be a good idea if there was any sort of guarantee that they will make it into the camping zones. I hope I’m proved wrong but I think the entrance of the random camping areas will be monitored a little and the stocked trout ponds will see double the enforcement
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 PM

I will be the dessenting view here. I believe that its long past the time this should have happened. While crown land is for all to use, it is also for all to abuse and there is plenty of that that goes on. Especially with all of thee new outdoorsmen. Last year we were out trying to get a camp site and there were hundreds of units out in places that typically only held a dozen or so on a busy weekend in the past. As long as there is actually more enforcement of the morons, this is a good thing.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:26 PM

I don't care about the 30 bucks but I highly doubt it will make much if any difference.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28 PM

Travel light and walk softly. Wonder if it is considered camping if you have no tent and just sleep under the stars? Damn, I shouldn't have mentioned that. Now the gov't is going to charge a person to look at the stars.

Back in 1957 the government issued the first recreational fishing licenses as a way of monitoring how many anglers were fishing in the province. A license was one dollar. Now it's close to 30 bucks and depended on by government. This new fee is just like the fishing license ploy. I'd like to know how the gov't is going to enforce this with 100 million acres of crown land in the province.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-12-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Another article states
“The province said an online survey that included the public and stakeholder groups found the majority of Albertans generally support the concept of user-based fees, if used to support sustainable recreation. ”

I’ll send out a couple emails to reporters to let them know of the public poll here.
Lol "Majority" of Alberta Outdoorsmen with a 200 people sample size.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Travel light and walk softly. Wonder if it is considered camping if you have no tent and just sleep under the stars? Damn, I shouldn't have mentioned that. Now the gov't is going to charge a person to look at the stars.

Back in 1957 the government issued the first recreational fishing licenses as a way of monitoring how many anglers were fishing in the province. A license was one dollar. Now it's close to 30 bucks and depended on by government. This new fee is just like the fishing license ploy. I'd like to know how the gov't is going to enforce this with 100 million acres of crown land in the province.
I hear you and agree. Just another Pandora's box that is opened. Just another tax that will never go away and will only go up. For those that think that this will eliminate the garbage and the morons....not happening...ever.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

LOL! Thanks for the laugh! Good luck with that!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

this is a good thing!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2021, 06:06 AM

Just another tax disguised as a fee that some will have to pay while others will not.

Only applies to the eastern slopes but will be coming to a spot near you soon.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:21 AM

Question is will anybody pay this?
Old 04-13-2021, 06:40 AM

Improvements and more conservation officers in the back country is long over due. The yearly cost is $33.25...insignificant. The place is getting so bad in some spots you can collect your yearly fee in beer cans out there.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:56 AM

How is this going to work. Is the 30 bucks for each person? What about families, is there an age exemption like under 16 or 18 or something? It could get pretty expensive for families with a bunch of kids. If so what about a bunch of teenagers who are camping without adults or groups like boy scouts or other groups. Do boy boy scouts even exist anymore?
Old 04-13-2021, 07:18 AM

Never in my lifetime did I think I'd see a charge to go set up the wall tent in the crown land bush for a hunting trip. I'm sure the fees will be put to good use to repair the clearing/cutline I set my camp up on....Lol
It seems like Nixon was already banking on this becoming a reality when he amalgamated F&W Officers with the Sheriffs last fall.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...dlife+Officers
I also agree that a family pass would have been a good idea. Many families have children over 18 living with them these days, especially with the Oilpatch tanking and the Pandemic employment issues.
Bill 64 is not passed yet but I'd be very surprised if it's voted down seeing as Kenney is trying to wring money out of any activity that Albertan's enjoy lately...
Old 04-13-2021, 07:40 AM
Banned

I'm gonna bet that for every "ethical" user of crown land there are 500 dogs who leave a mess.

For example, some years ago I drank gallons of beer with a guy who had a camper and truck and went down to the CNP near Coleman to camp in the forest near a pond. He bragged of the little spot that was quite cozy for he and his wife after he had cut a few trees. He complained over the years about others who had found his place in the woods and had hacked out more forest growth to enlarge the space for other, bigger, rigs. He never mentioned an outhouse but he touched on the subject of the need to go.

A few years we went down to the Pass to bury my sister and we went looking for my former drinking buddie's hiding place. Assuming I got the directions right, what I found was not a paradise. It had become, quite literally, the basement suite of an outhouse.

My guess is that my friend and his associates will continue to hide out in the forest and will see the 30 or 60 dollars as payment for cleaning up all the Charmin.

Free
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
First Kenney sells the Eastern Slopes to foreign mining companies then he charges locals for recreational use. Gotta pay for his health and education cuts somehow!
LOL, that sums it up very well. It seems like at every turn taxes jump, but classroom sizes never go down, the environment is still a mess, and medical wait times just get longer. Almost as if we are being lied to
Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Another article states

You think this message board is a snap shot of the average Albertan?

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 AM

yes its more taxes but its only 15 less coffees a year.

even if it cleans it up by 10-20% its a good thing

More enforcement is only a bad thing if you plan on breaking the law.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:57 AM

Looks like you'll have to pay Extra to use the "Kings Forest" ...I'm of the belief we pay enough taxes already but WHO am I to question the KING.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
Question is will anybody pay this?
Lots of other people on a couple other threads screaming for enforcement. I tried in vain to point out that it's very difficult to charge and convict people for littering etc. This is very easy to enforce. Officer asks for your camping permit and either you present it or you get a ticket and hopefully a big fine!
Seems very simple to me.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:04 AM

So....... if I drive in the evening to my favorite trout stream and decide to sleep in my truck the night to fish the morning hatch, do I need a permit?

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations