Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-05-2021, 08:15 PM

Default Grizzlies up north

Since I have seen the topic come up a bit, this forum now has me thinking about grizzlies...I guess more around the question is there many around the High Level - Rainbow Lake area. I know there is no lack of black bears as I have seen a ton of them while out hunting. This year I am thinking walking some of the longer green cutlines. I usually carry my 30-06 but this year was debating a .35 Remington as I can usually get pretty close. My weary side tells me if I run in to a grizzly... that might not be so great...any one know what grizzly numbers are up North?
Old 04-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Banned

Grizzlys usually go the other way
But if your worried, your 30/06 is fine
The heaviest Barnes ttsx’s or a-frames will punch through any bone
Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 PM

I'd stick with your 30-06 at any range but the odds of you bumping one in that area are pretty slim. South near Manning and West to BC border then anything west of 43 and 22 headed south to the US border are the hotspots. Good populations in the Whitecourt and Swan Hills areas too.

Wear a hard hat tho in case of death from above. There's a cougar in every spruce tree in Alberta.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:53 PM

Lots of black bears means there's probably not a lot of grizz.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:17 AM

I worked just across the border on the BC side for several years. Spent a ton of hours in the chopper and was always looking for critters. Seen tons of black bears and zero grizz. Its flat, wet muskeg country on the BC side. Agree on the 3006 being plenty adequate for grizzly defense.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:29 AM

If Grizzlies in the woods scare you, better just hang around that computer.

Grizz
Old 04-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
If Grizzlies in the woods scare you, better just hang around that computer.

Grizz
This ^^ lol

Honestly though go hunting and just be observant to your surroundings. It’s good to acknowledge grizzlies are around but no need to carry a cannon
Old 04-06-2021, 11:26 AM

Default Grizzlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This ^^ lol

Honestly though go hunting and just be observant to your surroundings. It’s good to acknowledge grizzlies are around but no need to carry a cannon
Lol, Grizzlies don’t really scare me especially when I have my 30-06. I was asking more around my .35
Would a 35 be adequate if I happened to run into one. I know my 30-06 will drop it. I use 180s and everything I placed in it’s crosshairs never made it more than 50 yards.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:51 AM

Just as mentioned most grizz are in west foothills. However good population in Chinchaga river and Clearhills country. Most of boreal has good grizz now, but lower population density. Grand Cache/ Smokey River then you might want to keep your 30-06 rifle loaded at night.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
Lol, Grizzlies don’t really scare me especially when I have my 30-06. I was asking more around my .35
Would a 35 be adequate if I happened to run into one. I know my 30-06 will drop it. I use 180s and everything I placed in it’s crosshairs never made it more than 50 yards.
Here is my honest opinion from someone who has hunted and played back up for grizzly a fair bit in the past where you put that round is the deciding factor. I carried a 30-06 when I was back up man on grizzly hunts. I chose my 30-06 because of the ability to get on target with another shot faster do to less recoil. I have seen a grizzly drop in its tracks from a 270wsm and I have seen one soak up lead from a 338 and keep going.

My opinion your choice in calibers is not going to matter. Using your head so you don’t get into a situation with a grizzly to start with is the best defense when it comes to grizzly. I bow hunted in areas with with high grizzly numbers when I lived in BC and not once did I feel the need to carry a firearm because I may encounter them. You

Don’t overthink your rifle and go hunting. The caliber you choose does not keep you safe in grizzly country is not what keeps you safe using your head and being observant of your surroundings so you don’t have an issue to start with does

Truth of the matter is you can have a run in with a grizzly anywhere in western Alberta
Old 04-06-2021, 12:22 PM

Default Thank you for all the responses

Thanks for all the responses,
I have only been in Rainbow Lake for 1.5 years and have hunted various areas in the region. Knowing that there are a lot of black bears and reading what people are posting it sounds like there is possibly few in the area. I completely agree with not about the rifle and mire of shot placement that is crucial which is probably the case for my 35. My comfort level and accuracy lies with my 30-06. Part of my reason for posting was to see if anyone had any information about grizzlies in this area. I always try to be as aware of my surroundings as can be. Before I go out, I look at topographic maps, use Ihunter and a few other tools to try and best view the area before I go scouting and exploring. Just another avenue to gain knowledge of the area.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:30 PM

Buddy sent me a video of a grizzly in the windfall yesterday eating down by the creek
Old 04-06-2021, 12:34 PM

Can sure tell I was interrupted multiple times by my kid well typing that last post

English is my first language honestly lol
Old 04-06-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Smarts

My opinion your choice in calibers is not going to matter. Using your head so you don’t get into a situation with a grizzly to start with is the best defense when it comes to grizzly. I bow hunted in areas with with high grizzly numbers when I lived in BC and not once did I feel the need to carry a firearm because I may encounter them. You

Not sure if you typed “you” at the end to say I carry a firearm in the event I run into a grizzly lol. I do not carry a firearm unless I am actually hunting...deer, bear, grouse or waterfowl.

Using ones head in the woods as well as survival knowledge is Key.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:35 PM

Lol, just read your kid post, gotcha lol
Old 04-07-2021, 07:00 PM

Just hunt with a partner that can't run as fast as you. Problem solved.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Hunt with one that insists on wearing a mask. The lack of oxygen will slow him down
Old 04-07-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Lmao😂
Old 04-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Hunt with one that insists on wearing a mask. The lack of oxygen will slow him down

What if the bear is wearing one? Plug or No?
Old 04-08-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yep, then they will blame it on covid, cuz there ain't grizz in Alberta!!
Old 04-08-2021, 04:56 PM

If you shoot one better take that. Rather hit it with a smaller caliber than miss with the big gun.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:59 PM

Default not in Alberta but

A male Barren Ground grizzly was tranquilized on the pack ice off Melville Island after he had killed and eaten a 2 1/2 year old polar bear following him scavenging seal kills.National Geographic polar bear tracking out of a chopper.Grizzly could be anywhere.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
A male Barren Ground grizzly was tranquilized on the pack ice off Melville Island after he had killed and eaten a 2 1/2 year old polar bear following him scavenging seal kills.National Geographic polar bear tracking out of a chopper.Grizzly could be anywhere.
They’ve even been breeding successfully for awhile now.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM

I bow hunt in bear country, not a lot of Grizzlies where I am but they are definitely nearby. I have a can of bear spray on my bino harness. Ideally you and the bear go the other way, but if somehow the bear ends up in your face, you can deploy the spray at any distance and with the can of spray still on your chest.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:15 PM

Imagine there has to be a few around but I would think the chances would be incredibly slim of bumping into one if you are sticking between High Level and Rainbow. I grew up south east of High Level and a friend had a sow and cubs go through their field but that is the only mention of grizz that I recall, and that was also 25+ years ago. Slightly off topic but with that said whitetails weren't all that common back then either and lots would go south towards Manning to hunt them but apparently that has changed .
Old 04-16-2021, 08:02 PM

Default Rainbow Grizzly

Have lived, hunted (a lot) and put on countless miles around Rainbow for 16 years now. Not once have we come across a grizzly. With that being said we do get them on our trail cameras every once in a while and see tracks in the mud on occasion. There is a few stories from years past where guys here have had encounters but I definitely wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

MS
Old 04-17-2021, 09:34 AM

Hunter 3006, you were wondering if your 35 enough gun for grizz. The largest B & C record book grizz shot in Alberta was killed by a little lady out of Slave lake with 22 rabbit gun.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:10 PM

I spent 3 weeks south of Zama 2002 in WMU 536 Guiding,

specifically in the Basset lake {west of the Chinchaga} area it has its fair share of swamp and low hills.

Happened across 2 separate setts of grizzly tracks one large 1 small together, I assume sow and cub. Obviously must be a grizzly Boar in the area too

West and a bit North of Manning they were far more common in 2003-04.

30-06 all good can even buy 220 grn bullets.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I bow hunt in bear country, not a lot of Grizzlies where I am but they are definitely nearby. I have a can of bear spray on my bino harness. Ideally you and the bear go the other way, but if somehow the bear ends up in your face, you can deploy the spray at any distance and with the can of spray still on your chest.
I don’t mean this for the OP who had a specific questions, but for all the “what about grizzly” posts. Prairiekid and Smoky’s post say it: Heads up, don’t overestimate the usefulness of any gun in a bear encounter, pack spray.

Do that and the lottery ticket is going to pay off before a bear gets you.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:51 AM

Shot gun with buckshot and slugs best 'Bear Spray' !