Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-21-2021, 07:07 AM
Banned

Default Wolves / Outfitters

I have not done any inquiring about a situation on my line but can outfitters
bait for furbearing animals (wolves)on a registered trapline. Just asking..
Old 03-21-2021, 07:42 AM
Banned

In answer to the above, I guess if they can bait for furbearing bear, they can do the same for wolves...????
Old 03-21-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I have not done any inquiring about a situation on my line but can outfitters
bait for furbearing animals (wolves)on a registered trapline. Just asking..
Yup they can unfortunately
Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Just not with livestock carcasses as far as I understand. Heard of a local guy that was in some foreign WMUs and got in trouble.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:43 AM
Banned

Last year, when I FIRST came upon this site, in Feb / Mar, fully furred beaver were being used as bait....So, giving the benefit of the doubt, I figures that they may have been damage control beaver, taken in the fall..???. Then this year, at the same site, half a moose was being used, with a remote viewing camera set up. Again, i figured that the moose may have been "road kill"..
It isn't just the moose and beaver, that gives me a bad taste......but...???
Old 03-21-2021, 01:19 PM

Have the same issue been going on for years and yes they can legally put out baits not domestic baits but they also have to clean up the sites when done
Old 03-21-2021, 09:58 PM
Banned

Like I said from the get/go, I was just asking if others had encountered the same as myself. I could not see an outfitter jeopardizing his business if he was within his rights. It would have been nice of him to give a heads up or to touch base with me or any trappers whose line they are on..but then many have heard of their ethics.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:12 AM

Yes they can bait on your line buuut you can also set snares around there bait site If they are causing problems wreaking trails etc you can make them move the site to a more reasonable location, or require them too use only skidoos or atv access
Old 03-24-2021, 08:07 PM

They are certainly within their rights to set up a bait on a trap line. The trapper has the rights to trap, not hunt. That being said, a courtesy call would probably do the outfitter or hunter well. If I was paying big money for a wolf hunt, I wouldn’t be real happy to be sitting in a blind only to watch a trapper snowmobiling past the bait pile checking traps every 2nd day of my week long hunt. It’s likely all avoidable if both parties have a good working relationship.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
They are certainly within their rights to set up a bait on a trap line. The trapper has the rights to trap, not hunt. That being said, a courtesy call would probably do the outfitter or hunter well. If I was paying big money for a wolf hunt, I wouldn’t be real happy to be sitting in a blind only to watch a trapper snowmobiling past the bait pile checking traps every 2nd day of my week long hunt. It’s likely all avoidable if both parties have a good working relationship.
Just wondering why a trapper could not hunt wolves on their line? They have the same rights as any other Albertan do they not?

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Just wondering why a trapper could not hunt wolves on their line? They have the same rights as any other Albertan do they not?
I would imagine they have the right to shoot wolves anywhere like you mentioned, just not sole access with the ability to block others from doing the same.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I would imagine they have the right to shoot wolves anywhere like you mentioned, just not sole access with the ability to block others from doing the same.
Initially, their bait site was behind on oilfield gate with the outfitters lock on it..
The oil company was no longer using the field and had left the gate unlocked..
A person could still go around the locked gate with a sled or quad...Not sure if a camera was set up at the gate, capable of forwarding pics to them...???
Old 03-26-2021, 01:06 PM

Crown land is all RFMA. Crown land is also where you bait wolves. Few trappers target wolves. Quit treating this crown like it’s your back yard and move along.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Banned

What are you talking about....Read what was said..At no time was it said that there was a problem with what was happening....just inquiring..to get opinions if anyone else had encountered this....It would not be a bad thing if outfitters had a relationship with the trapper instead of thinking that just becuz they have to pay for their allotment, that they are king $h!t of turd island.....so put that in your pipe..
Old 03-26-2021, 01:49 PM

We had put a motion forth at our trappers local about outfitters contacting the trapper about baiting so that all could benefit but as usual not all parties agree and so it is what it is
Old 03-26-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
What are you talking about....Read what was said..At no time was it said that there was a problem with what was happening....just inquiring..to get opinions if anyone else had encountered this....It would not be a bad thing if outfitters had a relationship with the trapper instead of thinking that just becuz they have to pay for their allotment, that they are king $h!t of turd island.....so put that in your pipe..
No allocations (allotment) for wolves.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
No allocations (allotment) for wolves.
Whatever......it's about attitude.....like some people here have
Old 03-26-2021, 05:03 PM

If someone put a bait site on my line I would definitely be putting snares around it and actively checking
Old 03-27-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Sorry for night being clear. I should have said exclusive rights. Of course the trapper can hunt them too.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:21 AM

Trapper has exclusive rights to '"All" the fur on a Registered Fur Management Area. Thus anyone else wanting to remove fur from his RFMA would need to get permission from him if he was not actively trapping wolves.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Trapper has exclusive rights to '"All" the fur on a Registered Fur Management Area. Thus anyone else wanting to remove fur from his RFMA would need to get permission from him if he was not actively trapping wolves.
Wouldn't that be exclusive "trapping" rights?
Us as hunters going calling for wolves on crown land where there are trappers do not have to ask the trapper for permission.
WDF
Old 03-28-2021, 02:16 PM

From the regs....

Timber Wolf
A Resident may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2021, or until June 15, 2021 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2021.

A Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote Licence may hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2021, or until June 15, 2021 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2021.

Coyote – A Resident, Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote licence may, except in WMUs 728 and 730, hunt (but not trap) coyote

a) throughout the year on privately owned land and on public land in the White Area, to which he or she has the right of access to hunt;

b) on public lands in the Green Area to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from the opening day of a big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2021 or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date.

In Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730) a Resident may hunt coyote from January 5, 2021 until March 1, 2021.

Baiting for Wolves and Coyotes - On public land, hunters cannot use bait for hunting wolves or coyotes except a) from Dec. 1 to Mar. 31, or b) during an open season for the hunting of black bear where the setting out, use and possession of bait for the purpose of hunting black bear is permitted.

Each wolf or coyote bait site must have a readily observable sign showing the owner’s name, WiN, Big Game Outfitter Permit Number, or Big Game Guide’s Designation Number.

These baiting restrictions do not apply to WMUs 102-166, to persons hunting under authority of a trapping licence, or on any private land.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:34 PM

I think the bottom line is no one owns the land. Yes as trappers of trap lines in Alberta we own the rights to have trapping rights to a specific area. But I don’t think it would be fair to expect residents and outfitters not to have a chance at shooting wolfs on crown land. It would be like saying no one should be aloud to have bear baits because it’s your trap line and your trying to get bears for the sale of fur. If I was setting up a bait on some one else’s trap line I would try and contact them but I don’t think it’s a requirement. I also wouldn’t set up snares on some one else’s bait. Just sounds like trouble missing gear and fur. But that’s just my two cents.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:52 AM

A FHA gives forestry company All the rights to the timber, A oil lease gives the Oil company rights to oil or natural gas, A RFMA grants the rights to All the fur bearing animals. If the trapper is not actively trapping wolves or shooting bears can offer them to anyone else.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
A FHA gives forestry company All the rights to the timber, A oil lease gives the Oil company rights to oil or natural gas, A RFMA grants the rights to All the fur bearing animals. If the trapper is not actively trapping wolves or shooting bears can offer them to anyone else.
A trapper has no say on outfitters or anyone else killing wolves on an RFMA or coyotes in the green zone for that matter they can bait them and shoot them they don’t have to tell the trapper anything
Old 03-29-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
BGW,
I believe the regulations state otherwise.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:42 PM

Guys try this potential situation. Province offers $1000 wolf bounty. Canada Goose uses wolf fur on parka's and average wolf pelt is bringing $1200. You now have a free for all for wolves on RFMA. Who has first dibs on the wolves, a fur bearing animal.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Guys try this potential situation. Province offers $1000 wolf bounty. Canada Goose uses wolf fur on parka's and average wolf pelt is bringing $1200. You now have a free for all for wolves on RFMA. Who has first dibs on the wolves, a fur bearing animal.
Anyone who wants to shoot them or bait them and shoot them as it is now it doesn’t matter what scenario it is, I wouldn’t be thrilled if someone started baiting and killing wolves on my line but it’s perfectly legal so not a lot I could do about it
Old 03-29-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Trappers have exclusive trapping right only, hunters can hunt coyote, wolf and bear as long they do it in season and according to regulations.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:04 PM

Pretty sure you can hunt wolves anywhere on crown, trap line or not, but myself, I’d find out if the trapper was actively trapping/snaring wolves.
If so I’d respect his trap line and find somewhere else.
He has a vested interest.
If not I wouldn’t think twice about setting up.