Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Default In the Rough

I just watched an episode of Canada in the Rough for the third time.
They were bow hunting deer in Ont. The video footage of the deer approaching the fellows on stand was great but the audio is what really impressed me. You can hear the deer walking in the dry leaves and then at the bow shot it snorts as it takes off. There is a little low level "music" in the back ground so the "hunting sounds" dominate.

I think good audio really adds to the show. And loud rock ruins a good hunting show.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 AM

shows like In The Rough ruin it for me !
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 AM

Default rough both ways

Well I have digital cable through shaw and canada in the rough is the ONLY show on tv I can watch if I wake up early enough on sunday. I have a large collection of hunting dvds and Iv learned that its actually pretty hard to find a show that is decent. such as ethics when it comes to hunting, not to big on the hunt farm type shows. And Its also hard to find a show that the guys dont celebrate to "undecently" sure you can be happy about your kill but dont take it to far kind of thing. So i guess what Im trying to say is some guys dont like canada in the rough and some do, basically just be happy that you can watch some hunting in the off season, or that you can hunt vicariously through these shows when you are un-lucky enough to have to miss out on last season like some guy I know (its me)
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
shows like In The Rough ruin it for me !
just wondering why, I'm not trying to start anything everyone is entitled to there opinion , just more curious. I'm on the fence, but I do enjoy watching wild tv especially when it's cold or raining outside after the seasons are over .
Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Tine View Post
just wondering why, I'm not trying to start anything everyone is entitled to there opinion , just more curious. I'm on the fence, but I do enjoy watching wild tv especially when it's cold or raining outside after the seasons are over .
this show just does nothing for me ...no intrest in it.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM

I don't mind in the Rough most of the time, but Taylor Wright on "The Canadian Tradition" drives me nuts. Its like he's twitching out on crack when he talks and his head is bobbing around!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:33 PM

I actually quite enjoy Canada in the Rough. There was some excellent footage of an archery moose hunt about a month ago and as Duffy said the audio was what makes it. The bull walked down a hill past one of the brothers and waded across a pond where the other guy arrowed him.

The big bull was grunting the whole time and you could see his mouth opening each time, I thought it was fantastic footage.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss442 View Post
I don't mind in the Rough most of the time, but Taylor Wright on "The Canadian Tradition" drives me nuts. Its like he's twitching out on crack when he talks and his head is bobbing around!
lol.....i agree. i thought the same thing when i first saw it.

rough is usually pretty bad in my opinion. it seems about one show in ten is worth watching. for all the hunting opportunity canada has, it really should ne better.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Favorite show is Edge on WildTV..... great entertaining show.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 AM

There is 2 kinds of shows you can watch reality or fake. Everyone likes to see the guy get a huge animal. commonsense would tell you that if a show is getting nothin but huge deer every show theres probably a high fence just off screen.
I am glad we have shows like canada in the rough, before we had wild TV our chose was limited to early sun morning or DVDs
Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Default rough

Any of you actualy see him interact with people or kids in public.I have personaly seen him decline a small child an autograph.For no aparent reason. Classy!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 AM

ever since the beasly brothers got involved, i dont think the shows are as good,,,whatever 'good' means...
i still watch it on occasion.
goose duck bear and turkey hunts make for a pretty long 22 mins.

having been involved in filming hunts for the past 15 years, i know how hard it is to film any hunt so i wont critisize to much.
still 10x better some of the drivel that makes it to air,,(buck commander comes to mind)

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 AM

If you live your life watching someone else it may be be less than note worthy.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:19 AM

Default Canada in the Rough DVDs Seasons 1-5

I am looking for Seasons 1-5 of Canada in the Rough, featuring Thomas Pigeon, to complete my collection. Anyone have these that they may wish to sell? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:37 AM

Default In the rough

When Thomas Pigeon hosted the show i used to laugh, because although the show is called Canada in the Rough, he was always staying in a fancy lodge somewhere, eating gourmet meals and drinking wine. I wonder if he even knew how to set up a wall tent, or cape a critter?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:56 AM

A fine example of a true sportsman..........

http://www.theoutdoorsguy.ca/former-...-host-charged/
Old 03-15-2021, 01:59 PM

I would think that some others in the TV hunting community are guilty of the same kind of stuff.
Just to get the right shot for the cameras.
JMO
Old 03-15-2021, 03:10 PM

The Beasely Brothers are excellent examples of fine hunters with good ethics. They set a good example which most hunters should try to emulate. Excellent hunting shows for many years. Their dad raised them well.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
The Beasely Brothers are excellent examples of fine hunters with good ethics. They set a good example which most hunters should try to emulate. Excellent hunting shows for many years. Their dad raised them well.
Yep. Some of my favorite episodes I've watched includes a full episode that they have incredible footage and an unsuccessful hunt. Their closing statement goes something like "that's hunting. not grocery shopping."

And their signature line of "Remember to enjoy the greatness of Canada, and be proud of your hunting heritage" rings so true with so many of us. It should be a standard greeting to all outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen.

J.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
I am looking for Seasons 1-5 of Canada in the Rough, featuring Thomas Pigeon, to complete my collection. Anyone have these that they may wish to sell? Thanks.
10 year old thread.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
10 year old thread.
And that matters, how?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
When Thomas Pigeon hosted the show i used to laugh, because although the show is called Canada in the Rough, he was always staying in a fancy lodge somewhere, eating gourmet meals and drinking wine. I wonder if he even knew how to set up a wall tent, or cape a critter?
The bad taste I had in my mouth, when Thomas Pigeon, was the host, made me puke...I have not watched it since and did not know it carried on..
Thx for making the taste come back...lol
Old 03-16-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
The bad taste I had in my mouth, when Thomas Pigeon, was the host, made me puke...I have not watched it since and did not know it carried on..
Thx for making the taste come back...lol
Lol, he was signing autographs at the bass pro years ago. I was there to see Bob Izumi. Anyhow, needed to kill a couple minutes so I got into line for mr Pigeon, it wasn’t very long. Anyway when he asked to whom he should sign the autograph to? I said ( it just came out, not my finest moment). Oh, I don’t want an autograph. I think you’re the worst host I have ever watched. You take marginal shots, shoot poorly, and get angry when you miss because the young man YOU’RE hosting has a muzzle brake on his new rifle. ( they were both going to take a caribou at the same time). Anyway, he took it ok ,but I ****ed him off pretty good. He must have been done signing shortly after cause he was gone by the time I got Bob’s autograph.
Lol. Sometimes the filter just isn’t there. Like I said not my finest moment.

Tullfan
Old 03-16-2021, 03:15 PM

Default YouTube

Honestly the best material out there is on YouTube. The best part is if you haven’t been watching any of it, there’s a lot of material to take in.

I can’t think of all my favourite channels but recently I really enjoyed FatalImpactOutdoors for Whitetail. For shooting I prefer a Vortex Nation and Spomer. But there’s lots out there and I usually just pop one on the iPad as I’m preparing meals.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
And that matters, how?
Because it does.