Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 01:28 PM

Default Rem 760/7600 Barrel swap

Has/Dose anyone have any experience with swapping the barrel on a Remington 7600. I am considering buying one and doing this to make it a 35 Whelen
Old 03-06-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickthomson View Post
Has/Dose anyone have any experience with swapping the barrel on a Remington 7600. I am considering buying one and doing this to make it a 35 Whelen

What's the bore size of your barrel?. Maybe you can just rebore.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickthomson View Post
Someone on here will know. Tell us more. Do you have another barrel already in mind, ie a 760 vs 7600, a 35 rem to chamber to 35 Whelen. Ron Smith, or whoever it his he trained up could rebore most barrels I'd think, they all seem to be the same outside diameter that I've seen.

The best answer to me is buy a 35 whelen pump and sell or keep the other one. They come up often enough, even the odd 338-06 or Federal.

I had a 7600 Whelen for years, took my first elk with it. They are awesome guns for sure. Not a lot of drama, not a lot of tracking!
Old 03-06-2021, 03:32 PM

Default people

Have also had the 9.3x62 done up.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Someone on here will know. Tell us more. Do you have another barrel already in mind, ie a 760 vs 7600, a 35 rem to chamber to 35 Whelen. Ron Smith, or whoever it his he trained up could rebore most barrels I'd think, they all seem to be the same outside diameter that I've seen.

The best answer to me is buy a 35 whelen pump and sell or keep the other one. They come up often enough, even the odd 338-06 or Federal.

I had a 7600 Whelen for years, took my first elk with it. They are awesome guns for sure. Not a lot of drama, not a lot of tracking!
I actually don’t have the gun yet it’s just a thought I had as a little project. I personally have only seen one for sale recently and just missed out. If the opportunity to buy one rather than rechamber or put a new barrel on it that’s what I will do.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:44 PM

PM FPS from here on AO, he is a gunsmith. I seem to remember a post by him about having re-barrelled quite a few Rem pumps and semis. I think he could probably give you a real good read on whether it makes sense or not.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:38 AM

Unfortunately I have not rebarrelled 760 /7600 . The issue is the barrel extension is part that locks up with the bolt. It is attached to the barrel .If a person had a factory barrel with the extension on it , it would be a simple swap.

It would not be impossible to do but one would have to make up special tools to try and remove the extension so it could be reused . Best bet would be to see if Ron Smith would do a rebore of your factory barrel
Old 03-08-2021, 11:06 AM

The 760 barrel is threaded into the barrel extension, the ext. should be reusable. Not sure about degree of difficulty to remove it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM

I am VERY INTERESTED about this idea as I have been a fan of Remington 7600's for a very long time.

Your eye stays on the scope, your finger stays on the trigger. On top of that, the 7600 is adequately accurate to surprisingly accurate.

The 7600 was never offered in Magnum calibers which always was a head scratcher.

With Remington gone, the supply of 7600's is pretty bleak. We may have to re barrel in the future to keep our guns functional.

What I do not know is what the supply of after market barrels for the 7600 is.

Drewski
Old 03-08-2021, 04:19 PM

Saw a rebarrel on a 7600 to a 375 Scofield-Hawk.
I was told it was a true thumper on moose.
Short 20 barrel for the bush. I bet it was loud.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:21 PM

This has been a dream of mine as well. A few years back I found a company that machined the 7600 barrel extension and imported them into Canada (not sure if they still exist and can't recall their name at the moment). They included part drawings and a how to install and head space the new barrel extension correctly to your new barrel. I'm pretty sure I squirreled that info away at home somewhere. I'll have a look tonight and get back here with some more info.

I guess the issue with attempting a re-barrel is that quite often the original barrel extension will get damaged upon removal and can't be re-used. The solution is to install a new extension onto the new barrel and simply swap it on the action. Anyone who has stripped down a 760 or 7600 knows this can be done relatively quickly with simple tools. As long as you stick with a family of cartridges that share the same head diameter you could run multiple barrels off the same action! And swap them in the field in minutes! (sight in required obviously)

I wanted to set up a 22-250 and a 6x55 or 7x57 to cover coyote and deer/elk/moose hunting but never got around to purchasing a 7600.... yet.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:23 AM

The company is called Lumley Arms and the Remington 7600 info is here:

https://www.lumleyarms.com/7600-7615

Unfortunately they state right at the top of the page that they no longer sell the barrel extensions and that they have no plans to do another run.

I do have the part drawing and install instructions if anyone would like I could e-mail them.