Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2021, 10:20 PM

Default Calling Lake Access?

Anyone know how access is at Calling Lake? Have a decent 4x4 truck with good tires. Heading up with my two young boys overnight so would prefer not to dig all day!

Any suggestions for spots (via PM) would also be greatly appreciated. :-)
Old 02-28-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Calling Lake Access

Access from the park on the south side is good; some rough spots on the ice, but generally most folks are getting out at the boat launch. Not sure about north side. It was slow fishing for walleye in the deeper water, try in shallower. We did not venture over to VW point, the snow mobiles were the only ones going over there.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:39 PM

It was a very windy weekend. Trucks were not venturing far, and only on well driven tracks. Problem is the tracks were blowing in steady. Crust is heavy enough that a 4 stroke sled with 2 big riders were going OVER the crust. Drifts have hardened up and are about 2 foot at the highest, enough to high center your average SUV.

As for fishing, the bite is ultra light. Very few are hitting hard and taking the hook in far enough to get a good hook set.

The Ice was very very loud on the weekend, and heaves were breaking and pushing up. Go slow as we hit some hard push ups that we did not see until right on top of them.

Ice is about 40 inches. I can still get through with the Jiffy but its down to the hub to break through. Next weekend I will put on the extension.

Hope this helps.

Drewski
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
It was a very windy weekend. Trucks were not venturing far, and only on well driven tracks. Problem is the tracks were blowing in steady. Crust is heavy enough that a 4 stroke sled with 2 big riders were going OVER the crust. Drifts have hardened up and are about 2 foot at the highest, enough to high center your average SUV.

As for fishing, the bite is ultra light. Very few are hitting hard and taking the hook in far enough to get a good hook set.

The Ice was very very loud on the weekend, and heaves were breaking and pushing up. Go slow as we hit some hard push ups that we did not see until right on top of them.

Ice is about 40 inches. I can still get through with the Jiffy but its down to the hub to break through. Next weekend I will put on the extension.

Hope this helps.

Drewski

Thanks Drewski!
Old 03-01-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Hope this helps.

Drewski
Somewhat unrelated, but I've had a similar bite to what you are describing for the last week, been having far better luck hooking them on a tip-up setup than I have on a jigging rod.

For example, this morning I caught 4 fish on a jigging tip-up, to the best of my knowledge I did not miss a single strike. I got two nudges on the jigging rod but didnt hook up, no fish were caught on that line.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-01-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:04 PM

Anyone been out after this warmer weather? Heading up
Saturday morning. Hoping to drive over to v.p and spend the night. If it’s similar to lakes around Edmonton it should be easy driving
Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 PM

Some people were out on Monday. Track was heavily drifted in and leaving the track you were breaking very hard drifts.

Drewski
Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 AM

i was out yesterday. good access at the provincial park. saw about 15 trucks on the ice. no idea if anyone is making it to v.p. but the snow is not deep. the diffs are not dragging but the drifts are so hard it is tough going. beautiful day on the lake but the fishing was slow. caught our fish but had to drill a lot of holes.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:28 PM

Thanks guys, will be out tomorrow And I will post the conditions
Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 PM

Easy driving, snow is crusty bur easy to get around. Fishing was very slow.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:18 PM

Anyone been out lately and can speak to the ice conditions, access, and bite? Thinking of getting out this week before season ends.