Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 09:32 PM

Default Greenhorn

Hi everyone,

I'll make this short - I'm a complete greenhorn when it comes to hunting. Never brought up with it, but I'm very serious about my path into the hobby. All I've done is read, read, read, and practice my shot. I've been target shooting and plinking for a few years so I'm familiar with firearms, and a decent shot. Interested in deer hunting.

I'm finally at the point where I'd like to find either an experienced mentor, or a fellow greenhorn who'd like to embrace the challenge with me. Even if it's just showing me the ropes in how you scout, set up and prepare.

A bit about myself - I'm an early 30s family man and I work a skilled trade. My name is Ryan. I live in Calgary. If you want to talk, send me a message. Thanks!

Last edited by RMBowden; 02-02-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBowden View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll make this short - I'm a complete greenhorn when it comes to hunting. Never brought up with it, but I'm very serious about my path into the hobby. All I've done is read, read, read, and practice my shot. I've been target shooting and plinking for a few years so I'm familiar with firearms, and a decent shot. Interested in deer hunting.

I'm finally at the point where I'd like to find either an experienced mentor, or a fellow greenhorn who'd like to embrace the challenge with me. Even if it's just showing me the ropes in how you scout, set up and prepare.

A bit about myself - I'm an early 30s family man and I work a skilled trade. My name is Ryan. I live in Calgary. If you want to talk, send me a message. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBowden View Post
Hi everyone,

Hi! I’m pretty new to hunting too and looking for some buddy to go with. In my 30s too. Spent a lot of time out there this fall. No luck with big games but lots of grouse... And mulies but no tags! Darn

My name is Marc

Old 02-15-2021, 01:43 AM

Since this year a was not able to apply for tag i am hoping to find a few good partner for geese and ducks around Wainwright i got many decoys and i love that sport so if interested leave me a message.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:51 PM

Hey folks. I’m looking into trying some snow goose hunting this year. I’ve never tried it before or any waterfowl for that matter. I’d love to get out there and see how it’s done. If anyone’s looking for another helping hand south of Calgary let me know!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:01 PM

Default Goose hunting around lloydminster AB

Hey

Me and my brother in law are trying to get into goose hunting this fall. Neither of us have ever been before so would love to find someone to give us some tips and pointers. Would be a bonus of they would take us hunting with them to get started.

We are both responsible adults who aren't afraid to put in the work required to get into the sport. I have been deer hunting in the area for a few years now and have permission to hunt some land already. Just looking for some knowledge to avoid a few rookie mistakes.

If you're interested in lending some knowledge, shooting some clays, or even a deer hunting buddy we are always interested in meeting more hunters around the lloydminster/ marwayne area.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:36 AM

Been offline for a few months ,I guess im back .
Old 05-06-2021, 01:05 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is John, I'm 35 and relatively new to the Calgary area and hunting in general. I didn't grow up in a hunting family and began to take an interest somewhat more recently. I dabbled a little in Saskatchewan, but didn't really have much success, as I had a different hunting partner, with a different hunting style, nearly every time I went out. I'm willing to learn, if someone's got the patience to help.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=MiaDearMia;4287375]New to Calgary/Alberta outdoors scene, looking for friends and hunting buddies. Figuring out the restrictions landscape, learning the good and bad spots. Always happy to pick up knowledge from those able to share.

Experienced shooter with military background and combat exposure. Private pilot, enterprise architect, next-door mom, riding a stick shift Mustang GT. Tall, mobile, fit, assertive, INTJ. Grew up between a farm and a city, comfortable in the wilderness since childhood.

Please note: I am a meritocratic libertarian with strong values, expressing myself quite candidly. Those of leftist/liberal/globalist inclinations would have trouble

I consider myself a minarchist libertarian, how's your search for a hunting partner going I'm in Calgary as well.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:20 AM

Default Looking for someone to hunt with? Check out the hunt in common Canadian chapter

Hey everyone,
Newly started and looking to build some steam in Canada, the hunt in common is looking to start a north american hunting mentorship organization to get people connected to eachother and get people introduced to hunting for the first time or gain some more experience. Formly the hunting collective chapters started through the popular meat eater network podcast The Hunting Collective with Ben O'Brien.
Whether you are interested in mentoring someone or looking for some help, check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thcc...ter/?ref=share

We are developing a network of individuals that love the outdoors and want to share that common ground with others. Looking for Regional ambassadors across the country to help organize in person events, virtual happy hours to create connections and get involved in creating a healthy environment for new and less experienced hunters.
Big things are coming!
Old 06-19-2021, 11:02 AM

Hi Folks,
Looking at a possible move to the Carbon- Drumheller area.
Wondering if there are any liked minded waterfowl and upland bird hunters in the area, that would like to possible get together this fall for some hunting.
I'm 54 avid bird hunter have a well trained lab and a trailer with decoys and blinds.
Will hopefully still be doing some hunting in the Red Deer area also, so could buddy up there also to many of my usual spots.
Send me a DM or text 403- 598-3018.
Cheers,
Dean

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2021, 08:25 PM

Default Live in Langdon looking for a hunting partner

Hello,
Mid 40’s, looking for a big game hunting partner, moderate experience, do rifle trying bow again after many years. Train 5 days a week for hunting season looking for someone who can also hike 10 to 15 km when needed. Not an extreme athlete but try to be shape so I am prepared. Possibly do overnight back country trips this year. Also, recently got a jet boat planning to hunt with it this fall

Other than big game, I also hunt upland with my dog.

Not into drugs. Looking for someone from my general area although I will travel anywhere in Alberta to hunt.

Reach out to me if you’re looking as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rambling; 06-23-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:23 PM

Hello,

I’m a 28 year old who hasn’t been out hunting since I was a kid.
Looking to get back into the thick of it so I can teach my son when he’s a bit older.
Pretty flexible work schedule so I can go pretty well anytime.

Looking to tag along and learn some fundamentals.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2021, 07:51 AM

I live in the bonnyville area. Always looking for anyone interested in outdoors activities, fishing and hunting mainly, but have some spots for both that I'd like to check out with someone. I'm mid 30's with wife and kids, and hard to plan a hike in-winter camp style hunting trip to some of these places I have in mind with the wife and kids (and she has never been keen on me staying out overnight alone in subzero temps without cell service or a buddy) if interested in this, or even any kind of fresh fishing/camping adventure (canoe upstream to some lakes that are pretty much mostly winter accessible unless you own atv, which I don't) I got some places in mind I'd like to try, but haven't had a great opportunity to do it. Pm me if this may be interesting to you and you live in the area, as I'm looking for a buddy who's not a couch potato, not afraid of the work that would be involved to get to these areas, set up camp, etc (camping is alot more work than some people realize, especially if your carry-on capacities are limited to say a backpack or canoe)
Got my own tackle, canoe, aluminum boat, rifles and gear.... Just missing a wingman willing to come along
Old 07-07-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Looking for someone to hunt with me I own my own land and cabins up in the Valley View area, I will be more or less hunting Whitetail but there's elk in the area , looking for someone that can hunt during the week as I will be up there from October 29th to November 7th nonsmoker more or less need a quad this could lead to other hunts as most of my friends only can come up on weekends and I prefer not to hunt on weekends ,as I have two weeks on 2 weeks off been hunting this area for 12 years we usually kill an elk every year haven't hunt it at all this year looking for someone younger than me that could help me get my elk out LOL. Anyway as for this year I'm only looking for someone for those dates if you can't make it then don't call ,Randy 780-777-5581

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Still looking for some guys I need some help this summer trying to get my elevated blind up everybody I know is busy and has things to do so if somebody's interested in coming hunting a great area and wants to spend a weekend this summer setting stands and Tower blind give me a shout
Old 07-07-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy182 View Post
Hello,

I’m a 28 year old who hasn’t been out hunting since I was a kid.
Looking to get back into the thick of it so I can teach my son when he’s a bit older.
Pretty flexible work schedule so I can go pretty well anytime.

Looking to tag along and learn some fundamentals.

Thanks!

Posting a location often helps out
Old 07-18-2021, 12:57 PM

Anyone looking to hunt WMU 406 together? It's my first year hunting and I will be going during archery season (general is draw only). I have heard there are grizzlies in the area and would like to not go at it myself if I can help it. I have an area in mind that I will be scouting before the season starts and setting up trail cameras.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Still looking for some guys I need some help this summer trying to get my elevated blind up everybody I know is busy and has things to do so if somebody's interested in coming hunting a great area and wants to spend a weekend this summer setting stands and Tower blind give me a shout
Tower blind 9 ft

Old 07-19-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabihameat View Post
Anyone looking to hunt WMU 406 together? It's my first year hunting and I will be going during archery season (general is draw only). I have heard there are grizzlies in the area and would like to not go at it myself if I can help it. I have an area in mind that I will be scouting before the season starts and setting up trail cameras.
I might be interested in tagging up. Looking at 308 and 402 as well as 406.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT948 View Post
I might be interested in tagging up. Looking at 308 and 402 as well as 406.
PM'd you.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Posting a location often helps out

Sorry,

I’m located in the red deer area but can travel and have an ATV

Old 07-27-2021, 07:04 AM

Looking for hunting partners who don't mind sharing the work. Im local to the red deer area, mid 40s and typically spend a week or more at a time up in wmu 429 or nearby wmu starting late Aug. Depending on scenario and weather often set up tent or wall tent either where the truck stops or after taking the atv and small trailer into the bush approx 10km. Will be after elk bear deer and wolves depending on the scenario.20200926_195729.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Ducks and deer anyone?

Looking for a partner to hunt ducks in the evenings around Calgary. Then some deer on the weekends in the 300, 400 areas.

Early 50’s lots of experience. PM please. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:42 AM

Default Looking for a hunting partner.

Hi my name is Jawad , I hunt deer but looking for more adventure, love nature , looking to hunt elk , nose , bears , wolves , and more with my new partner
Please if interested email me @
Jawad.chalan@yahoo.ca
Old 08-06-2021, 10:05 PM

Hey all,

I’m relatively new to Alberta (arrived last year) and a total newbie when it comes to hunting. I’m an avid hiker and angler, and willing to travel pretty much anywhere across the province (I’m based out of Edmonton) to meet up and get started on learning the basics

If anyone more experienced is interested in hanging out or needs an extra pair of hands to carry stuff I’d be willing to join!

Feel free to PM or email (alan.gilligan08@gmail.com).
Old 08-14-2021, 12:48 AM

Default Elk advice

Looking to connect with an experienced elk hunter (archery). Not looking for hunting spots or join in a hunt but hoping to seek some guidance on hunting elk in Alberta (vs. what's available online) and to provide critique on elk calling. PM me if interested. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:40 PM

28 years old looking to connect with someone who hunts big water for divers later season say thanksgiving weekend. Happy to split cost of gas for trip and boat and provide after hunt beverages. Hoping to target bufflehead, canvasback, redhead or goldeneye for plumaged drakes! Would be able to contribute some mallard floaters to the decoy spread as well. Located Edmonton but willing to drive.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:30 PM
Banned

Default Newbie looking to join and learn

Hello all

I'm wondering if there is an experienced hunter in the cochrane/Calgary area that is willing to let me join along on one of their hunts(rifle)this fall

I would like to get into hunting eventually but am taking it slow.
I'm in good shape and am happy to pass along a 6pk of your favorite guzzle for some of your knowledge.

Feel free to pm me
Old 09-16-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Tower blind 9 ft

Looking for someone to hunt elk with me from September 23rd to the 28th at my cabin give me a call 780-777-5581
Old 09-17-2021, 02:20 PM

Default looking to learn

Hi I'm 27 looking for a hunting mentor/partner(s?). This would be my first time but I'm hoping to get into all kinds of hunting (big game, small game, upland birds, waterfowl). I work in Edson, so I would be able to hunt in the evenings and am in Calgary every other weekend and can go any time then.

Willing to travel as well.

Thanks!