Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 03:38 PM

Default MSR Hubba 1 person tent

Anyone ever use this tent in the backcountry? What are your thoughts thanks?

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5064-1...-%28Updated%29
Old 04-13-2021, 04:11 PM

I haven’t used one but I’ve sure looked long and hard at several tents with that type of configuration.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthunter View Post

Lots of folks will argue this is the best tent in the market. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurthunter View Post

I have the 2 man model of that tent. Had to re-shock cord the poles after season two but other than that it has been a good light weight tent. No other issues. For the extra 1/2 kg I would consider going with the two man model. 1.79kg vs 1.29kg.

On set up, be sure that the pole are set into the hubs fully or you risk splitting the end.

Last edited by bdub; 04-13-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:21 AM

The girlfriend and I just picked up a Nemo Dagger 3 person for backpacking camping. 2 person was a little small and the extra weight wasn't much difference. I always buy one size bigger...I would recommend a 2 person tent for 1 person tenting, especially with hunting gear.

Check out Nemo products.

I went into the store planning on buying the MSR but left with a Nemo after Campers Village set up both for me. The Tub Floor came up a little higher on the Nemo which helps with snow or splattering rain. Also the Nemo has Aluminum Poles vs MSR's Carbon poles, the Alum can be fixed in the field if they break the Carbon can't, so I was told. The Nemo has a more rectangle floor vs MSR'S trapezoid shape which is handy for storing stuff at your feet.

I also looked at The Big Angus seemed too lightweight, I ruled it our quickly as I wanted a sturdy tent for Alberta Mountain Camping, you can get snow in summer. The Nemo seemed to be the perfect all around package, weight, build construction, sturdiness.

Both are excellent tents.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 AM

The MSR is a good tent but not for me. I was drawn to the Sierra Designs Lightyear (1 person) and the Clip Flashlight (2 person). I love the light weight and tapered designs for dealing with wind on top of a mountain.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:37 PM

I have the 1 man Hubba NX and 2 man Hubba Hubba NX..maybe 4-5 years old each. Both are decent tents. No trouble with either one. MSR tents are much better than Big Agnes tents in my experience. Also better than Mt Hardware.

I spent a really crappy few days in the one man Hubba a couple years ago when early snows and high winds hit the high country of N BC. Tent held up fine and I stayed dry. Not a lot of room but the vestibule is adequate for the backpack, boots and bow. The tent works to sleep in and sit up, snug but minimally adequate.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:05 PM
Banned

Hilleberg
Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
The MSR is a good tent but not for me. I was drawn to the Sierra Designs Lightyear (1 person) and the Clip Flashlight (2 person). I love the light weight and tapered designs for dealing with wind on top of a mountain.
I bought a couple of Sierra Designs lightweight tents about a decade ago, maybe more. That was the last time I bought their products. They were the exact same tents purchased within a year or so apart from different places. I thought it was amazing and that’s why I bought another one. The thing was that I didn’t get a chance to use it in crappy weather before I bought the second one. What I found out later, the roof leaked on both (material itself). And so did the floor if there happened to be water on the ground (obviously found out about it at night). Always used with footprints. Then, I haven’t used them for a few years because I bought something else, but when I wanted to do so one summer, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that all the tape has fallen apart. They were, of course, stored properly. Can’t say I really care about the tape at this point because I would never use them if there is a chance of rain. But the fact remains and there is more as shown on the photos below.

They do have lifetime warranty, supposedly. I contacted them a few times, but no one has ever gotten back to me. I wrote a story, took a bunch of pics and submitted a claim online. I received an auto reply about a week later that they were overwhelmed with inquiries and would get back to me within a few weeks (lol!). A few weeks later they sent me another email, saying they apologised for the delay and here is a 20% off coupon for me to shop at their store while I keep waiting (lol!). I have never heard from them again.

Needless to say, never again, even they start making the best products in the world.

For good summer weather though, they are hard to beat, lol. I also have a great quality light weight tarp, which I set up above a tent and it worked very well in a drizzle. That was before there was a half an hour or so long downpour in the middle of the night and I found out that floors were no good either. It’s kind of funny now, but it wasn’t at the moment. I spent quite a bit of time moving the tent around in the rain in the middle of the night trying to get it to a “better” spot to keep the water out. It was downpour, so eventually there was water everywhere.

The last pic shows that every single thing that was glued simply fell off. Can’t open vents now or hold the “doors” open.

These tents were over $400 each retail. I bought the second one at a deep discount because they were discontinued that year, if I recall correctly.

I still have (I think) that 20% off coupon if anyone is interested (not sure it is still valid though). Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Hilleberg
That is what I bought. Sure, expensive. But if you want a tent that would last a lifetime, quite literally, this is what one should buy. Every time. These tents would take you to Everest and back, if you are capable because the tents sure are. Plus, if you want to get rid of it, years later they will still cost quite a bit used and you will get most of what you paid for back. These are excellent tents. I have been to many places with mine, all kinds of weather, and have not been disappointed even once. Expensive is the only downside. Still looks like new after years of use.

In that story with the leaking floors above, while I was moving the tent all around, my friends were sleeping in the Hilleberg tent a few feet away and they didn’t even know it was raining like crazy for some time during the night, lol. That’s when I knew what I was going to buy next once I save up some money.

I heard plenty about MSR tents, mostly good things. What I remember reading a while back is that there could be problems with tape as well. These are very popular tents given the price point, so there are tons of discussions about them on different forums on the internet. You can try googling and see what people say. They aren’t new models either and have been around for a long time, so you can find some decent feedback.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:28 AM

I had a similar experience as Fishguy with the Kuiu Mountain Star tent. Most of the anchor points were held together by nothing but the glue, no stitching. And trying to get any satisfaction on the return was brutal. Wouldn't cover the duty etc. etc. Not a happy customer. But I have a bud with the the later model and he's satisfied with it.

Always a sacrifice in materials vs weight. Hilleberg's are probably some of the best tents made, but will weigh double + what a light weight design will. Always tradeoffs. Late season I dig out my heavier tent.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:18 AM

I found in the mountains a 4 season tent is best, been hit with snow storms in July & August. Sorry I have no experience with the MSR but my Hilleberg Akto has never failed me. They sure are dear now. I may be selling mine as I think my solo days are behind me due to health.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 04-15-2021, 12:15 PM

I have the 2 person model. I’ve used it in early season a s been very happy with it.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:41 PM

I ran the hubba tent and had good luck with it. It is tight quarters but its very compact and light as well.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:22 PM

I have both 2 person and 3 person models (Hubba and Mutha). I find them to be a good balance between weight, durability, breatheability and weatherproofness. No complaints. But other brands maybe better in 1 category.

They also have a fast and light config but I still like the full set up for bug protection.

The longest trip is 6 days.

30 days plus on these tents in all these seasons including sub zero and high winds. Have a 2018 which is suppose to have leaky seams on fly (they will fix) but mine held up fine in all night rain.

Recommend 2 person for 1 +/- dog and 3 person for 2 +/- dog.... 1 person tent just go with a bivy sack +\- siltarp IMHO.

Still trying to find that perfect ground pad though...

Last edited by Jadham; 04-16-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:12 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input
Old 04-17-2021, 08:10 PM
Banned

I haven't use before but it looks like a nice tent
Old 04-21-2021, 02:49 AM

I own the MSR NX1 and it has survived very severe weather without fail. I do cost the rain fly with spray on silicone to help keep it water proof. I have no complaints with it.