Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 07:01 PM

Default Can A Airgun Kill a Bison??

Well got really interested in the hi power pellet guns this winter.Porky's,Coyotes,foxes all succumbed to a 30 cal pellet very quickly.I started thinking about hunting Big Game with one.In Alberta,as long as you are 45 cal and up you can hunt with them.I started looking for a big bore air rifle that would work and finally found a Airforce Texan in .457 caliber.The rifle is big as it boasts a 36 inch barrel,runs at crazy pressure's and pushes very heavy bullets out at amazing air gun velocity's.U-tube video's really got me excited so I ordered one along with a compressor to fill it's tanks.My first impression when it arrived was this ain't your grand Dad's Red Ryder!!!
Holy crap....loud.earplug loud and the recoil will open your eyes and make your nose run LOL.I experimented with quite a few bullets finally settling on a 525 grain cast flat point sized .458 from Jet Bullets.When ran at max pressure's, which are 3625 psi this bullet left the muzzle at a 804 fps avg.To give you a idea check this photo of it standing beside a 177 pellet.
The shot was at a 2 year old bison cow at 34 yards,slightly quartering away.At the shot the bison lurched ahead,crow hopping about 6 times to hit the earth hard.Much to my amazement she stood back up and went stiff for a few seconds only to hit hard a second time. A very lethal hit and extremely fast death with a friggin air rifle .When we dressed her out,the slug centered the heart and went through the off shoulder and exited for a complete pass through.I had no idea this combo would off this much penetration it totally exceeded all expectations.
From what I have seen,it is totally a lethal weapon on big game and I would not hesitate to use this on all big game within 100 yards. I guess you can kill a bison with a air rifle!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0316.jpg (51.1 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_DSC_0345 2.jpg (107.7 KB, 566 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:41 PM

Love it!!!!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:45 PM

Impressive!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:56 PM

That's to cool bud, I guess the short answer would be yes an air rifle can take big game, that's a serious air rifle.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 PM

How many time do you have to pump it?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:25 PM

A 45 calibre air rifle that gets a pass through on a bison?? Holy.....impressed!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 PM

Didn't think it was possible. Shocked and impressed.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Didn't think it was possible. Shocked and impressed.
me too.

I assume this wasn't a first time let's see what happens "live test" and there had been some research done on this ...... because if not that could have been bad ....

Cool air gun - seen some take out deer and boars online .... but a bison is a accomplishment.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:55 PM

Default Can a air gun kill

Way to go sir! Probably the first ever taken in Alberta or maybe even Canada with an air gun. Good job my friend.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:06 PM

Default airguns

there are a few good videos on utube of shockeys daughter taking a penned cape buff with a 50 cal air force texan rifle as well keith warren has popped a few buff with air guns
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 PM

Nice feat. Only have ever seen the .25's in action but they're impressive.

Shot one of my grandpa's sheep with my break action Crossman .177 when I was 9. He didn't drop. Made him jump tho.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

dont let Nog know your air rifle can do this

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2021, 06:11 AM

Iwatcheda video.I a guy that builds air guns.The one in the video,shot a 900 grain bullet.Which he also made.Powered by helium.American Airgunner on you tube
Old 04-13-2021, 06:47 AM

I know what the boy is getting for his 3rd bday.. a new air riffle!!

What air pressure are you running? Do you have to repressurise every shot? Going through through the bison is impressive.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM

Default Air GUn

That is impressive, and I think I will look into that a little closer. Sure beats the heck out of that old Crossman I used as a kid!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:06 AM

WOWZERS!! jeepers Rich that is some crazy load data, freight train ballistics ala 45/70!
Cat
Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 AM

thanks guys for the kind comments.These pellet rifles run around 3600 psi and require a compressor capable of exerting that much pressure.I originally bought a hand pump thinking that it would be great exercise keeping a air supply to feed this thing.That lasted about 20 shots or less due to the insane amount of pumps it took to fill,roughly 500 start to finish depending on how run down the air supply was.The way the rifle was set up it delivered a very potent first shot a second shot about 125 fps less and the third,not even worth mentioning so essentially it's a 2 shot proposition.Yesterday I hot rodded it to try and improve it's performance.I added a heavier hammer and hammer spring,stainless steel carrier tube to address the extra pressure.There was also a huge air tank added to the mix with a 4500 psi capacity.All these new parts should allow 5-6 shots at around 850-900 fps,so in all more velocity and more firepower.
On a side note,something that really caught my attention was the total lack of bruising and bloodshot meat.Elmer Keith used to preach Low and slow lets you eat up to the hole and in this situation he was totally correct.Maybe the old boy knew what he was talking about after all LOL
have great day
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 AM

That is wicked!!
Old 04-13-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Thanks for sharing

Outstanding!

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-13-2021, 03:40 PM

Excellent outcome. nice looking animal too. interesting that there was no real hemorrhaging around the hole. That suggests to me that all these high powered magnum calibers are definitely over kill on 100 yard shots.

Now when you go to the back country you are going to want a pedal powered compressor.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-13-2021, 05:16 PM

for those interested seeing the damage done,here's a picture of the heart.No bruising just a big mother of a hole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image0.jpg (99.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 05:26 PM

This thread has been really interesting, and informative. Love the picture of the heart. And agree with the post that referenced Elmer Keith, big n slow. It does seem to highlight the difference between a small fast round explosively dumping all its energy inside an animal to kill it (which it will) and a large calibre plowing through and shutting down the boiler on its way. They both kill. One is longer range then the other, depending on skill of operator. And one ruins less meat.

I've enjoyed following this.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-15-2021, 05:44 PM

Crazy cool!
Old 04-15-2021, 10:11 PM

Lewis and Clark had an Italian air rifle made by Girardoni on their expedition west. I’m not sure if they did any hunting with it or just used it to impress Indians they met. I don’t know how to post links, but it’s an easy thing for anyone to google
Old 04-15-2021, 11:04 PM

Whoa !
Old 04-16-2021, 05:48 AM

Check this out..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajBT2V4_rrk
Old 04-16-2021, 06:43 AM

Default Girandoni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZLeEUE940
Old 04-16-2021, 09:57 AM

Northwinds: this thread gets my vote for post of the year.

It is unique, informed (and informative), and has a whole lot of cool factor mixed in.

Who knew that air guns could pack so much punch? (I didn’t). Congrats on the bison, and more importantly thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Northwinds: this thread gets my vote for post of the year.

It is unique, informed (and informative), and has a whole lot of cool factor mixed in.

Who knew that air guns could pack so much punch? (I didn’t). Congrats on the bison, and more importantly thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, definitely an interesting thread!