Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 11:34 AM

Default Fish Movement

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when trout and whitefish begin to leave their wintering holes in the spring. I'm assuming it's related to water temperature?
Old 04-26-2021, 12:19 PM

I've found that they start to move based on temperature and flow but it also depends on the species. Rainbows and cutts move first because they are spring spawners so they will stage at the mouths of creeks and streams before going up to spawn. Generally they are looking for water temps around 6 to 8 degrees. Browns, bulls, whites move later and generally its when the flows and water levels start consistently rising. I use this online tool to track flows and water levels.
https://rivers.alberta.ca/
Old 04-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Thank you. I usually go out later in May when the brown trout are out and about. I went mid April this year and nothing in the usual summer spots. I heard they were still stacked up in the slow deep pools.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:34 PM

They’re there and will eat. They will just be in deep slower pools until the water hits 48-50 degrees F. That’s when their metabolism kicks on and they will start holding in faster water to eat. This is also why you’ll probably have more luck in the warmest part of the day early in the season.