Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 AM

Very strange. Friday I was catching lots of big perch. Saturday there was a swarm of two year old small perch. Couldn’t keep them off the hook. Must of caught over a 100. Ratio was about one big one for every 10 small ones.

What the heck? Not good seeing so many small perch. Didn’t see any small ones during the summer fishing. Even saw a couple 3 inchers caught that must be 1 year olds.

Guess we need to really hammer these smaller perch and hope the new browns eat this Springs hatch.

Still...can’t beat the action. A zillion bites constantly. Now to find a school of big ones or try and clean out an area of small ones.

Drives home the point...never move perch around. They are insidious outside of their native lake ecosystem.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-24-2021, 11:01 AM

Splake are big time perch eaters. Many trout lakes where I lived in Ontario that had developed a perch problem the MNR started stocking splake. Splake live longer than pure brookies and browns and will grow quickly to 5+ pounds. Consuming 5"-6" perch is not a problem for them. They may be an option worth looking into as well?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yes. They would be good perch predators. Better than brookies I’m thinking.

Cool to have rainbows, brooks, browns and tigers...ya and perch unfortunately also.

Lake opens tomorrow for ice fishing. Got to see what the Covid rules will add to the mix.
I caught a 14inch stocker Brookie that I had to keep (gill bleed) that had two 3 inch minnows and a bunch of fresh water shrimp in its belly. Going to have to change up what sort of lure I use next time I'm fishing there.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I caught a 14inch stocker Brookie that I had to keep (gill bleed) that had two 3 inch minnows and a bunch of fresh water shrimp in its belly. Going to have to change up what sort of lure I use next time I'm fishing there.
You thinking of another lake? Sundance in Calgary is catch and release for brooks and browns.

Fishing today was different. Same spot but today we had to catch and release over 30 rainbows and 5 browns before catching perch. We then ended up with over 100 perch averaging 8 inch.

Yesterday it was almost no trout and tons of small perch.

I wonder if the trout scare the smaller perch away and once the trout have been stung the perch can get to the hook first.

Anyways...strange day.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-24-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
You thinking of another lake? Sundance in Calgary is catch and release for brooks and browns.

Fishing today was different. Same spot but today we had to catch and release over 30 rainbows and 5 browns before catching perch. We then ended up with over 100 perch averaging 8 inch.

Yesterday it was almost no trout and tons of small perch.

I wonder if the trout scare the smaller perch away and once the trout have been stung the perch can get to the hook first.

Anyways...strange day.
I'm just talking about stocked brook trout in general.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:32 PM

Biggest perch I caught from Saturday had three tiny perch in the stomach. Maybe we need to stock big perch))))).
Old 01-24-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I'm just talking about stocked brook trout in general.
Ahh. Gotcha. They are good eating. I’ve had lots from Elbow Lake over the years.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Biggest perch I caught from Saturday had three tiny perch in the stomach. Maybe we need to stock big perch))))).
How big? 3 incher perch?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
How big? 3 incher perch?
Nope, more like 2 inchers.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM

I’ve heard that you can get invited out onto this lake if you know someone, what’s the best way to get out there? Would love to catch my first perch and meet some new people while respecting social distancing!
Old 01-25-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Nope, more like 2 inchers.
I caught a bunch of big ones today and they had 2-3 inch perch in them also.

Caught very few 5 inchers. Most were 8-9 inch. Tons of trout yesterday. Just a few rainbows and a brown today. Another trifecta day.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:19 AM

I’m getting as many people from PM’s out fishing as possible however I am wondering if there is anyone in Calgary who would come and get a bag of perch when the anglers don’t want them. Had a bag of biggies yesterday and texted one fella and he was here in minutes.

Maybe some of our AOF community would love fresh perch to eat and can’t get out on their own. People share venison so why not perch.

If interested PM me your cell number for perch texts and generally how many would you take...any size requests will be tough as all perch will be in a bag...you deal with what you want or don’t want. Let me know any timing restrictions for when you are around for pick up and how long it would take to get to Sundance. I prefer nothing in return. You making good use of the perch is thanks enough. I don’t want good fish wasted in a compost bin.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:53 PM

Default perch

I would be happy to take perch and work in Calgary M-F
Old 01-31-2021, 05:17 PM

Perch bite was hot today on tungsten jigs with shrimp. Got my first perch double.

The trout also showed up to ruin the perching for a bit. They are looking very good. 8 inch hole as comparison.

Beautiful day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1612138188850_20210131_163209.jpg (22.4 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 20210131_145145.jpg (23.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20210131_163128.jpg (136.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 20210131_163051.jpg (167.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 01-31-2021, 09:40 PM

Default Perch!

Sir, I would greatly appreciate any fresh Perch anyone is willing to give up. I’d also appreciate an invite out to fish there, is the lake invite only? I live in Montreux, but would LOVE to take my kids out there for some Perch action!

Quote:
I’m getting as many people from PM’s out fishing as possible however I am wondering if there is anyone in Calgary who would come and get a bag of perch when the anglers don’t want them. Had a bag of biggies yesterday and texted one fella and he was here in minutes.

Maybe some of our AOF community would love fresh perch to eat and can’t get out on their own. People share venison so why not perch.

If interested PM me your cell number for perch texts and generally how many would you take...any size requests will be tough as all perch will be in a bag...you deal with what you want or don’t want. Let me know any timing restrictions for when you are around for pick up and how long it would take to get to Sundance. I prefer nothing in return. You making good use of the perch is thanks enough. I don’t want good fish wasted in a compost bin.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:

nice offer I believe I met you on the ice today . I was fishing with my brother who lives there and a buddy . Most of our perch were small . Will get a meal anyways .
Old 02-01-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
nice offer I believe I met you on the ice today . I was fishing with my brother who lives there and a buddy . Most of our perch were small . Will get a meal anyways .
It’s was nice chatting. You guys were catching some. I started slaying at about 2-4 today.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:22 AM

Hey Kevin, thanks for the offer. I would take some perch to have a feed and can get there quickly as I am in the south. I texted you our number previously. Cheers.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:05 AM

getting people out this year will be tough for me. I'm working weekdays and guests not allowed on weekends really limits things.
As the days get longer though I may be able to get out for some evening perching.

Add me to the list of anyone wanting perch. i will freeze them whole and fresh for those who want to eat them and those who want coyote or bear bait i will let them freeze outside in buckets.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudnut View Post
Hey Kevin, thanks for the offer. I would take some perch to have a feed and can get there quickly as I am in the south. I texted you our number previously. Cheers.
Sounds good. Haven’t had any extra yet. Need a warm day to slay from morning to night and fill a bunch of buckets.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:47 PM

Hoping tomorrow will see a strong perch bite at the lake. Anyone else going?

I can bring two people in and went to my PM list again. So far no one has responded back.

Today was a strong rainbow bite with a few browns. After catching the trout the perch bite picked up. Was one large perch for every five today.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:25 PM

Kevin,

My son and I would be happy to come out tomorrow, if you still have an opening. I will check messages in the morning. I should be in your PM list.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Kevin,

My son and I would be happy to come out tomorrow, if you still have an opening. I will check messages in the morning. I should be in your PM list.
Great meeting you both. It was an interesting day on the ice full of small perch...a few bigger ones and a little water behind the ears.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Kevin,

Big ones were biting fast and furious today. I only fished 1.5 hours.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:36 PM

nice catch guys, i wish i was there too but i am minus a vehicle at the moment. soon i hope.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
nice catch guys, i wish i was there too but i am minus a vehicle at the moment. soon i hope.
Warm weather is going to cut ice fishing short maybe this March.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:09 PM

Ice blew off Sundance today.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 PM

Perch bite was hot today. Smallest was 6 3/4" biggest 8 1/2" and all came out pouring spooge
all over my kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210528_132337.jpg (37.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 05-29-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Perch bite was hot today. Smallest was 6 3/4" biggest 8 1/2" and all came out pouring spooge
all over my kayak.
Great job!

I had fantastic fishing until the beginning of May. Perch were all Over the shallows.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:13 PM

Anyone have a belly boat and want to catch some perch?