Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 09:17 AM

Default Gmx??

Going to use a mono metal in my 280 next fall, my only experiences have been using Barnes bullets, and I like them, but was wondering about the 7mm GMX in about a 140 grain bullet as this rifle is supper accurate with ELDX bullets and Game Kings.
Anybody tried them? How was the accuracy ,killed anything with them?
I can\ get them easier than the Barnes is why I am asking.
Cat
Old 04-11-2021, 09:19 AM

They hit pressure waaaaaay sooner than even Barnes bullets.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-11-2021, 09:49 AM

More pressure, and a bit more fouling in my rifles than the TTSX, not nearly as bad as the E-tip though. Accuracy was close, but not quite as good as the TTSX.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:16 AM

I loaded some in a 240 Wby , very accurate . I built it for an antelope tag a few years ago but never got to shoot an animal.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:42 AM

Well I think I will grab a box and do a head to head with them and the Barnes just to see what they do in my Ruger .
Thanks Guys!
Cat
Old 04-11-2021, 11:42 AM

I have tried the 139 GMX in my 7-08 and 280. In spite of testing several powders and various loads and seating depths I was unable to get groups anywhere near as small as Barnes LRX or TTSX delivered- with no fussing at all.

My all time best hunting rifle group was from my (6.5 lb scoped) 280, Barnes 145 LRX pushed by RL26 to 3050 fps. Three shots, 0.149" c-c. Typically groups with GMX were 1.25 ish.

I plan to give the GMX one more try in my new (to me) 7-08...if no success I will give up on them. My very accurate 300 WM also didn't like them at all.

Last edited by brewster29; 04-11-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I have tried the 139 GMX in my 7-08 and 280. In spite of testing several powders and various loads and seating depths I was unable to get groups anywhere near as small as Barnes LRX or TTSX delivered- with no fussing at all.

My all time best hunting rifle group was from my (6.5 lb scoped) 280, Barnes 145 LRX pushed by RL26 to 3050 fps. Three shots, 0.149" c-c. Typically groups with GMX were 1.25 ish.

I plan to give the GMX one more try in my new (to me) 7-08...if no success I will give up on them. My very accurate 300 WM also didn't like them at all.
Gee whizlikers! That is some kinda shooting. Congrats.

What type of rifle was your 280?
Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Banned

I used them in 257wm hornady precision hunter, they are accurate but expand poorly on whitetail, when going for lung heart shot. Ttsx worked much better previous year, both shot at 40-60yd range. Same shot placement.

Gmx does foul up quick.

In 7x64 140gr showed decent accuracy out to 100yd, hornady superformance int. Never used it on game.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=jeprli;4359771]I used them in 257wm hornady precision hunter, they are accurate but expand poorly on whitetail, when going for lung heart shot. Ttsx worked much better previous year, both shot at 40-60yd range. Same shot placement.

Gmx does foul up quick.

In 7x64 140gr showed decent accuracy out to 100yd, hornady superformance int. Never used it on game.[/QUOTE

Did you recover a GMX just wondering?

I've had exceptional expansion with 80gr GMX's in my 243. dad and i killed plenty of moose and elk with them (well over 15) and only recovered 3. All of witch expanded almost perfectly. I have noticed some fouling issues if you shoot lots of rounds without cleaning. accurate enough for hunting purposes.

Last edited by GMX; 04-11-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Gee whizlikers! That is some kinda shooting. Congrats.

What type of rifle was your 280?
Rifle is a very early production (#15) lefty Forbes with a KS Arms stainless barrel. It has the three function safety and is essentially a poor man's NULA...as far as I could research it had quality control at Melvin's! It's a terrific piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-11-2021, 04:26 PM

Had really good luck with gmx in factory 308 super performance 150 grain.accuracy was good.expansion was good except on a whitetail a couple years ago but it didn’t go anywhere.I think if using them on smaller game like deer I’d be going for a shoulder shot to help with expansion
Old 04-11-2021, 05:43 PM

Default Some copper alloys not compatible with others.

I tried some Hammer mono’s in my 270 last year. Couldn’t get them to shoot at first and called the number on the box.

They said that some of the different copper alloys that get used in the jackets of various different brands, will not be compatible with some copper bullets. And actually cause the bullet to want to ‘stick’ to the copper residue in the barrel from previous rounds. He said to do a super thorough cleaning of the barrel and try again. I did that and voila it worked.

So that’s a trick to keep in mind when swapping out different bullet brands. And some of you are waaay more diligent with keeping your barrels clean than I am, too!

Those hammer bullets worked really well, but they were waaay more money than anything you get here. Seems to me it was pushing $2 a piece for the 270’s
Old 04-12-2021, 10:44 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=GMX;4359785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I used them in 257wm hornady precision hunter, they are accurate but expand poorly on whitetail, when going for lung heart shot. Ttsx worked much better previous year, both shot at 40-60yd range. Same shot placement.

Gmx does foul up quick.

In 7x64 140gr showed decent accuracy out to 100yd, hornady superformance int. Never used it on game.[/QUOTE

Did you recover a GMX just wondering?

I've had exceptional expansion with 80gr GMX's in my 243. dad and i killed plenty of moose and elk with them (well over 15) and only recovered 3. All of witch expanded almost perfectly. I have noticed some fouling issues if you shoot lots of rounds without cleaning. accurate enough for hunting purposes.

Never recovered any bullets, but pencil size holes in and out. Ttsx on the other hand turned insides into jelly, fist size hole on exit. Not picking favorites here, but i'd be reluctant to use gmx again on deer size game. Maybe in other calibers it opens better, but .257 sure doesn't. Shoulder shot will probably yield better results but i prefer clean meat.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 PM

Here is a picture of the three I did recover all of them hit ribs and were found while skinning. The deformed one hit a rib on either side and destroyed the far side leg bone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00819F8E-B5E2-4ACE-A268-2FA64900F429.jpg (20.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Rifle is a very early production (#15) lefty Forbes with a KS Arms stainless barrel. It has the three function safety and is essentially a poor man's NULA...as far as I could research it had quality control at Melvin's! It's a terrific piece.
Wow!!!!! That is unreal
Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 AM

Default gmx

Monometals weight retention allows the use of light for caliber slugs, think 110/270, 150/30cal. Velocities are then higher which helps with range oops.
Lighter slugs =less recoil so smaller/recoil sensitive shooters can use smaller caliber guns on large critters with confidence. They are not a cure all, not a good choice for whitetails unless you are a shootem where they are biggest guy nor are they for the one that thinks a 700 yard shot at a moose is cool. but they are good in some cases.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymshooter View Post
Monometals weight retention allows the use of light for caliber slugs, think 110/270, 150/30cal. Velocities are then higher which helps with range oops.
Lighter slugs =less recoil so smaller/recoil sensitive shooters can use smaller caliber guns on large critters with confidence. They are not a cure all, not a good choice for whitetails unless you are a shootem where they are biggest guy nor are they for the one that thinks a 700 yard shot at a moose is cool. but they are good in some cases.
Thanks for the info
I am very familiar with the differences of mono versus cup and core bullets , just not the GMX and am trying to get some actual experience comments from people who have killed animals with them .
Cat
Old 04-14-2021, 12:28 PM

Default gmx

I have taken 10 animals in the last 12 years with GMXs and in the last 30 have taken more than 3 x that using Fail Safes which behave like a mono.
My comments were directed at those new to the super tough bullet game.
I have also lost one elk which I hit high in the chest with a mono, a large cup and core may have worked better in that case. Had bonded bullets been more available I would likely have went in that direction for my personal use. An additional note would be that I prefer tipped slugs over hollow points as I have had hollow points(failsafe) that appeared to be damaged and did not expand properly. I have recovered only 3 of all those bullets, the rest have been pass throughs.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymshooter View Post
I have taken 10 animals in the last 12 years with GMXs and in the last 30 have taken more than 3 x that using Fail Safes which behave like a mono.
My comments were directed at those new to the super tough bullet game.
I have also lost one elk which I hit high in the chest with a mono, a large cup and core may have worked better in that case. Had bonded bullets been more available I would likely have went in that direction for my personal use. An additional note would be that I prefer tipped slugs over hollow points as I have had hollow points(failsafe) that appeared to be damaged and did not expand properly. I have recovered only 3 of all those bullets, the rest have been pass throughs.
Thanks for info on your GMX experiences that is exactly what I am looking for!
Cat
Old 04-15-2021, 10:15 AM

So I picked up a box of 139 grain GMX bullets to try and was very surprised that their recovered OAL comes out to within a few thou. Of what I use for the OAL starting length for the Barnes 140 grain TSX bullets!
Both sit very deep in the case .
Cat