Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 08:39 AM

Default Crossbows vs Compound

Hey fellas. I wanna get back into archery, but due to physical conditions (permanent nerve damage in one hand / arthritis), drawing and practicing with a 70lb compound is no longer a realistic proposition. As a result, I am giving serious consideration to a crossbow, as I want to get out there with the yonge fellers I hunt with during archery season.

Can you guys who shoot crossbows give me the skinny on how they perform vs a compound.

Getting old sucks.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2021, 08:54 AM

For one you don’t need to pull 70 lb bow . Bring her down to 45-50 . That’s what I did with my dad. I also had to modify the handle for his messed up hands . I would say it’s no harder to shoot a 45 lb bow then to shot a heavy cross bow free hand with bad hands , if it’s your shoulders then that’s a different story.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:03 AM

They work just fine.cross bow advantage ready to go,no drawing motion.little practice needed for accurate shot. dis- loud ,takes time to reload, lots of motion. speed of arrow similar now. cross bows can be awkward to spot and stalk, heavier. I own an excalibur but can,t get permit for archery season, shoulders considered weak with age by doc.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
For one you don’t need to pull 70 lb bow . Bring her down to 45-50 . That’s what I did with my dad. I also had to modify the handle for his messed up hands . I would say it’s no harder to shoot a 45 lb bow then to shot a heavy cross bow free hand with bad hands , if it’s your shoulders then that’s a different story.
Mugeye, If I could stay with a bow I wouldn't be asking this question. Cervical spondylosis is no fun.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:08 AM

Go try out some of the new smooth draw bows with 60lb limbs turned down to 50lb. You might be amazed how easily some of these bows are to draw and hold at draw. I bought my wife the new Bowtech Solution SD with 50lb limbs. We cranked out down to 45 lbs and she can literally run 100 arrows through it in a session with very little fatigue. If your draw is 28.5” or under that solution SD is a very nice option. To fast on the draw there SNS2, I have no experience with crossbows. Sorry
Old 01-29-2021, 09:28 AM

The technology and new innovations are definitely there due to the high demand in the US. They are getting lighter, smaller, and easier to use, but also faster. I believe Excalibur came out with a "double barrel" this year where 2 arrows can be loaded and the arrows can be shot one after the other, without reloading.

The archery opportunities around Alberta are incredible, so if you have a legitimate injury and can qualify for the permit, I would strongly encourage it. I bow hunt now about 95% of the time, even during rifle season.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:32 AM

Just some food for thought if you dont want to give up the compound. All you need to be legal in Alberta is a 40 lb draw weight.

And before you say that's not enough, my 79 year old grandfather killed a bull elk last year and he shoots 42 lbs. Arrow poked out off side and darn near got a full pass through

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2021, 11:50 AM

I used compound bows for 35 years (Hoyt/Mathews/PSE/High Country/BowTech/Elite/Darton/Champion/Bear).

I now have a couple Excalibur crossbows. In my experience:

Long range offhand shooting is going to be more accurate with a compound bow (mitigated by using a rest if possible).

Crossbows have an edge in the speed department (with some models 400+ fps).

Crossbows are generally heavier.

Compound bows are more manoeuverable and getting a second shot off is within the possible.

Recurve crossbows (Excalibur) are much, much less affected with timing/tuning issues. The only tuning issue that I deal with is arrow flight. Arrows generally like a high FOC. I use 175 gr tips/broadheads or use brass inserts with lighter points. You don't need a press to unstring/string your bow, you can do this anywhere. Consider a crank if you are thinking about a high poundage Excalibur because they can be a beast to cock.

I've killed many animals with a compound and I've killed many animals with a crossbow. They both get the job done.

With a crossbow, I've killed antelope and WT from a pop-up blind with shoot through screens. WT and MD from tree stands and MD while still hunting. I've not hunted moose or elk with my crossbows but I see that coming.

Furthest kill was when still hunting, MD doe at 55 yards, with an Excalibur Micro 335.

Scopes.........oh yeah, a definite plus. I tend to get rid of the package scopes and go with an upgrade.

Bulky clothing is not an issue with a crossbow like it can be with a compound.

A compound bowhunter can easily move to a crossbow and be competent by employing the skills garnered over years of hunting with a compound bow.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:16 PM

I'd see if you qualify for a Xbow permit before investigating any further. It's a moot point if you don't unless you want to use it during rifle season.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hey fellas. I wanna get back into archery, but due to physical conditions (permanent nerve damage in one hand / arthritis), drawing and practicing with a 70lb compound is no longer a realistic proposition. As a result, I am giving serious consideration to a crossbow, as I want to get out there with the yonge fellers I hunt with during archery season.

Can you guys who shoot crossbows give me the skinny on how they perform vs a compound.

Getting old sucks.

Thanks in advance!
I have tree stand hunted with both, no real difference between the 2 in my experience. Never tried spot of stock with the cross bow, the areas I hunted in Ontario didn't really jive with that style.

Turkey hunting with a cross bow is alot easier.

If I was in a ground blind I almost always reached for my crossbow.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Banned

Arrow

Had to give up the compound bow decades ago due to multiple shoulder injuries - last one was rolling a F&W truck north of the Crowsnest Pass which shattered both the collar bone and shoulder blade. Never been the same and never will be sadly.

I've come back to the pointy stick game due to pressure from a very good buddy, and luck finding a hot deal on my first Excalibur. No turning back. I had forgotten just how much I missed that, and the crossbow was a Godsend!

Main differences I have found:

My current bow is generally faster than most compounds.
It is accurate further than most are willing to try with a compound (which does NOT translate into farther risky shots on game).
It is already "drawn" and ready to launch from the moment I cock it. That means less movement for the initial shot.
It is damn near bulletproof and as noted above, doesn't need a trip to the bow shop to set timing or any other adjustment. In fact, I can and do make whatever adjustments are required (few) within minutes, right in the field.

Downsides:

The crossbows are a lot bulkier and damn near clumsy to move around with, especially so in brush.
They take a hell of a long time to reload, second shots are basically impossible.
They are a little heavier than compounds.

Sounds to me like you may qualify for the Permit in Alberta. I recently had mine moved to Permanent status (guess they finally figured out I ain't likely to grow a new wing?). Take your shot at it. If successful and you want any further advise that I might be able to provide, by all means, feel free.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 01-29-2021, 02:42 PM

Sorry to hear about your issues, SNS2.

Some great responses on this thread. Crossbows are a ton of fun to shoot, and if you can get the permit to be able to use it in archery season, definitely go with that.

I was introduced to them via my sister (IronNoggin knows who I'm talking about...)

Crossbow technology has come a long way over the years. I still remember being impressed the first time I shot an Excalibur Micro (as compared to earlier models), and there have been improvements since then as well.

I definitely agree with a lot of the previous comments as to how they are a bit more awkward to carry than a compound, and reloading/cocking is a more deliberate process.

Then there is the whole aspect of whether you are comfortable stalking/walking with a loaded/cocked crossbow as well (that can be a whole other discussion!) Sitting on a stand or blind, as mentioned before, they definitely shine. With a decent rest, even better.

Of course, there's the stigma of having to deal with people calling you an "X-Gun shooter", and claiming that you can arrow animals out to 200 yards...
Old 01-30-2021, 12:33 AM

Thanks Stinky!

I gotta ask... Nog got jiggy with your sis back in the day???

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2021, 09:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks Stinky!

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
When I get old like you I will source out a Excalibur.....

They got some great small, compact models that will fit the blinde, stand or spot and stalk just nicely....good luck.!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2021, 09:43 AM

Default Crossbows vs Compound

Quote:
Thanks Stinky!

Oh dear...

Nah, they know each other through hunting circles like this one.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:57 AM

I shoot both but have to admit the Ravin comes with me more these days. More consistent at range, more power and I need to practice less.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:33 AM

I started bow hunting about 1985 using a compound. shot elk bear and deer with it. Had an accident in 95 that resulted in several years of no bow hunting then tried a crossbow with a permit. Have shot 4 elk with it so far and it will kill them. I keep my distances short all under 30 yds. Very hard to travel thru heavy bush with though and a bugger to carry. Keeps getting caught on branches and stuff.
not like the bow you you can wiggle thru anything with. I would love to still use the compound but at least I can still get out for the extra time in the bow season.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Crossbow

Been using the crossbow for 4 years now , Excalibur 380 matrix
I shot PSE compound for over 30 years and loved the adventure and the skills required to do become and efficient shooter .
My crossbow is heavy ,takes effort to pull , if you cant pull a compound i would recommend a crossbow with a wind up cocking mechanism .
They are hard to pull with a hand drawn cocking rope at 250 lbs or better .
The bolts fly way faster and go through an animal like a hot knife through butter which usually means a ,lost bolt even with lighted knocks i lose many a year . with a broadhead and lighted bolt its about 50 buck a shot .

Some crossbows do not have a manual decock and require you to shoot the bolt which is a pain and hard on the gear in my opinion . Excalibur has decoking ability . Ten point NOT . Also i would suggest the Micro recurve over anything with pulleys as you can change the string in the field on a recurve , compound is not so easy .
Always use the rail lube as well and keep the string well waxed as they aren't cheap when the burn off from the rail rub.
Just my 2 cents .
Old 03-25-2021, 09:30 PM

Buy a Lancehead. What a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2021, 10:22 AM

Have an Excalibur Matrix 380. Pros; Accurate out to 50 yards. Furthest kill shot was a calf moose at 60 yards. Normally I want to keep my shots within 40 yds or less. Bolts might go faster than a compound bow but I believe the bolt loses energy faster. Learning curve is relatively short. Pain to carry in the bush & pain to reload. Always hooking branches. I find that I can't use the bolt holder as it's in the way when carrying with a sling so I carry my bolts separately. Excalibur makes two new models. One where you can load two bolts at once and one where the crank handle is integrated in the bow. It is difficult if not impossible to reload mine by hand. I have the crank that I carry in backpack. Crank is heavy & cumbersome. I dearly wish I could justify buying the two bolt model. Having an extra shot available at a moments notice would be awesome. Missing half my left arm so qualifying isn't an issue for me.