Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-13-2021, 09:04 PM

Default Torn distal bicep tendon recovery

Hey all! I unfortunately had a complete tear of my bicep tendon from my elbow this week that required surgery. Has anyone on here had a similar injury? I’m curious how the return to shooting went. As for spring bear, I already have plans for a left hand bow and mouth tab....guess we will see how that works out!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:53 AM

Default torn bicep

Tore mine the end of Sept, surgery in mid Oct-was able to start re hab by Xmas
I could start shooting my lightest bow on its lightest setting by spring. I was able to use my heaviest bow at 75% by August. Listen to your surgeon.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:09 AM

Rehab rehab rehab. Wrist twists with a dumbbell. Tore my left one, but hold the bow with that hand. Had the surgery the day after doing mine. Had a cast on for 6weeks. Returned to work after 12 weeks. Took about 6 months before it was better. Still missing flexibility. Another guy at work did his in too. Was out 12 weeks as well. His recovered better than mine. But still 95%...

Honestly would be lucky if you are pulling the bow in September
Old 03-14-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
Hey all! I unfortunately had a complete tear of my bicep tendon from my elbow this week that required surgery. Has anyone on here had a similar injury? I’m curious how the return to shooting went. As for spring bear, I already have plans for a left hand bow and mouth tab....guess we will see how that works out!
Trying to make sense of your last sentence.......you're going to purchase a left hand bow and use it with a mouth tab?

Right away I'm going to say that I hope you recover from your injury swiftly. Your resolve in planning to use a bow with one hand and draw with a mouth tab while you are recovering shows huge commitment to archery. Maybe it is that commitment that turns you away from an alternative plan? It could be that using a crossbow is not your cup of tea but I'm just putting that out there...

Here's to you
Old 03-14-2021, 05:00 PM

I tried a mouth tab and even shooting off my feet.
It took me over a year And a half to get back to shooting.

Additionally my probation and supination is “much” reduced, your mileage might vary.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:05 PM

Default Torn distal

I had shoulder surgery 4 1/2 months ago. Subacromial decompression. When they did the surgery, they found that I had a detached bicep tendon. They attached it back on the bone while they were cleaning up the other stuff. Still having discomfort, and am now just getting to the point where I can apply deodorant to my good armpit. Lots of physio. Slow recovery, but it’s getting better.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:44 PM

I rigged my daughters APA rattler up this week and gave mouth tab shooting a try. Surprisingly, it’s not bad at all!
Old 03-18-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I rigged my daughters APA rattler up this week and gave mouth tab shooting a try. Surprisingly, it’s not bad at all!
It puts the arrow right where you’re looking doesn’t it?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I seen Dudley do this when he was injured. I am really interested to see if it is actually possible to pull 40 lbs with a mouth tab.

Good Luck
Old 03-19-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I seen Dudley do this when he was injured. I am really interested to see if it is actually possible to pull 40 lbs with a mouth tab.

Good Luck
I could barely do it. The other problem is using your “other” arm as we usually tear our dominant arm so have to shoot with the weak one. That’s not easy at all.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:20 PM

I was fortunate enough (I guess) to tear my non dominant arm. After just one day of messing around I was able to shoot 41 lbs with very little difficulty.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM

I may be facing something similar. Slipped on some unseen ice under snow end of March while hiking up to pull a tree stand in the foothills. Landed hard on my right shoulder while wearing a pack frame. X-ray at emerg showed nothing broken. Had to wait a week and a half for ultrasound. It showed two tendons torn, one complete. Waiting for consult for surgery. Started physio. I'm noticing some slight healing. Not taking pain meds anymore.

I told the physio guy what I am hoping to do as far as being able to shoot a bow. He thot maybe after 12 weeks I should be able to hold up the bow enough to shoot.
I'm strictly a trad shooter. I taught myself to shoot lefty after some serious and unexplained nerve damage to my right shoulder and arm/hand 3 yrs ago. The only diagnosis I got for that was Brachial Neuropathy.

Anyway I put some 43# limbs on my Bear TD and rigged up a strip of leather to see if I could pull it. No problem. I didn't shoot, just drew back three times. I'll wait a few weeks and see if physio improves things and maybe I'll have a consult by then.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:56 PM

Oh I should add that my draw w the leather was down to 26" and so on my scale I was actually pulling 40#.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:58 AM

Figured I would post a little update. I got set up with a left hand APA mamba air and have been shooting with my mouth tab for a while now. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as I expected and I am now shooting 51 lbs and am confident to 40 yards. In another couple weeks, I’ll be sitting over a bait trying to shoot a bear with my teeth. I can’t wait!
Old 07-22-2021, 11:42 AM

I've been shooting w a mouth tab now for a month and a half. Took about two weeks to figure it out. Doing pretty good. About 13 yds right now but hope to stretch that to 15 and maybe a bit more by season opener. I did beat 15 other able guys last weekend at a ATBA novelty shoot for $50 split pot.
Waiting to hear about surgery still.