Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
The whites in pigeon aren’t on any special bite schedule. Earlier in the season yes you want to really focus on the mornings but as the days get longer and March is here you can catch them at any time of day if your fishing them deep. It all depends when the school role through your area. Tight lines everybody.
I'm assuming i was in the wrong spot then...saw nothing all day. I was about 500 yards south of the mullhurst launch. >\Lots of vehicles further souh off the point though.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
I'm assuming i was in the wrong spot then...saw nothing all day. I was about 500 yards south of the mullhurst launch. >\Lots of vehicles further souh off the point though.
I feel bad for ya. There’s a lot of people out fishing for whites yet nobody wants to give ya any useful advice. I only fish for walleye but I’m guessing if you drove on at Sandholm and headed south and fished areas around where all people are set up that would be a starting point. Lots of threads on what people are using for hooks and set ups. Check out the Sylvan whitefish thread as that has a lot of great info on it. I understand people don’t want to give out their good locations but even if they showed you exactly where to fish doesn’t mean you will catch anything. Hope ya have better luck on your next outing.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I feel bad for ya. There’s a lot of people out fishing for whites yet nobody wants to give ya any useful advice. I only fish for walleye but I’m guessing if you drove on at Sandholm and headed south and fished areas around where all people are set up that would be a starting point. Lots of threads on what people are using for hooks and set ups. Check out the Sylvan whitefish thread as that has a lot of great info on it. I understand people don’t want to give out their good locations but even if they showed you exactly where to fish doesn’t mean you will catch anything. Hope ya have better luck on your next outing.
Much appreciated racker. I don't normally do whites, but I recently learned that my wife of 30 years absolutely loves whitefish. Go figger lol
Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
The whites in pigeon aren’t on any special bite schedule. Earlier in the season yes you want to really focus on the mornings but as the days get longer and March is here you can catch them at any time of day if your fishing them deep. It all depends when the school role through your area. Tight lines everybody.
Very true, but the early morning by far is the best time to go for them.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:57 AM

Anyone been to pigeon lately? Just wondering how the access is at different places to the lake and where has been the best place to go? Looking to fill some walleye tags and try to catch my first whitefish
Old 03-04-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Anyone been to pigeon lately? Just wondering how the access is at different places to the lake and where has been the best place to go? Looking to fill some walleye tags and try to catch my first whitefish
access is good . walleye at Grandview , pp, silver beach .
whites out deep .
not sure if anyone is catching burbots
Old 03-05-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
access is good . walleye at Grandview , pp, silver beach .
whites out deep .
not sure if anyone is catching burbots
Thank you for the reply good to hear access is good
Old 03-05-2021, 11:46 PM

Man I haven’t seen the walleye bite this bad in a long time. Spent 12 hrs today near the island and only managed 4. Since it was so nice out decided to stay real late and take advantage of the late night bite-not even a mark on the flasher from 5-11 pm. I’ve fished 5 different areas of the lake in the last 3 weeks and have had little success in all the spots. Fished in 6-23 fow. Here’s hoping others have had better results in the last while.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:31 AM

Was out between 8-12 I’m my shack this evening didn’t even mark one fish so I hear your pain!
Old 03-06-2021, 07:35 AM

How is the ice? Thinking of going out on Sunday to fill my Class A’s... wondering how the lake is holding up with the warm weather this week
Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stead Man View Post
How is the ice? Thinking of going out on Sunday to fill my Class A’s... wondering how the lake is holding up with the warm weather this week
zero issues with the ice.might be a little water at the points of entry onto the ice.30 inches everywhere.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like I should be OK to take the pickup out there still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2021, 03:56 PM

Went to pigeon yesterday, fished out at Grandview and at the provincial park, didn’t see any fish or have any bites at both places. Access was good at crystal springs and the provincial park access wasn’t to bad, looked to be a decent amount of people out fishing but not many were catching. Still lots of ice on the lake but didn’t need a extension. RCMP were out to yesterday going from tent to tent doing checks. Still was a good day on the ice.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Went to pigeon yesterday, fished out at Grandview and at the provincial park, didn’t see any fish or have any bites at both places. Access was good at crystal springs and the provincial park access wasn’t to bad, looked to be a decent amount of people out fishing but not many were catching. Still lots of ice on the lake but didn’t need a extension. RCMP were out to yesterday going from tent to tent doing checks. Still was a good day on the ice.
We were out at Grandview yesterday as well, drug the frame of my truck across the heave at shore. Some kind fellow with a chainsaw made the access a little more passable but you still might bottom out on it.

I wouldn't say the fishing was lights out but we managed to fill 5 class B tags. Pretty happy with that as one day is likely all we will be spending on Pigeon this year and RCMP mentioned that they weren't running in to many catching so feeling lucky.

Rattle baits and jaw jackers set with smaller p.k. flutter fish and a minnow hooked in the middle squeeked out a few for us. All fish came in 20-22'.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
We were out at Grandview yesterday as well, drug the frame of my truck across the heave at shore. Some kind fellow with a chainsaw made the access a little more passable but you still might bottom out on it.

I wouldn't say the fishing was lights out but we managed to fill 5 class B tags. Pretty happy with that as one day is likely all we will be spending on Pigeon this year and RCMP mentioned that they weren't running in to many catching so feeling lucky.

Rattle baits and jaw jackers set with smaller p.k. flutter fish and a minnow hooked in the middle squeeked out a few for us. All fish came in 20-22'.
Yes that access looked a bit high so we accessed at crystal springs and it was better. Good to know they were biting on that. Congrats on filling your tags 👍
Old 03-11-2021, 12:46 PM

Any change in the ice thickness yet?
Old 03-11-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaBorn View Post
Any change in the ice thickness yet?
Had some colder nights this week. I can’t see it changing from last week. 30-32 where I was. Might get some water on ice at access points Friday. Fishing should be better this weekend.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Had some colder nights this week. I can’t see it changing from last week. 30-32 where I was. Might get some water on ice at access points Friday. Fishing should be better this weekend.
were you out today , how was access
Old 03-13-2021, 11:57 PM

Had a great day today catching walleye.Finally i had the fish biting.Caught 9 in about 5 hrs.I was suprised that i didnt see alot more people out and about with the warm weather.Came back from the middle of the lake to Mulhurst Bay at 5 and there was only one person there.Hope others had as much luck as i did.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Had a great day today catching walleye.Finally i had the fish biting.Caught 9 in about 5 hrs.I was suprised that i didnt see alot more people out and about with the warm weather.Came back from the middle of the lake to Mulhurst Bay at 5 and there was only one person there.Hope others had as much luck as i did.
was out at Grandview yesterday no fish or bites.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:44 PM

Anybody out there today? Ice was still pretty much undisturbed last Friday.. 30-32”. Guessing too much hasn’t changed since then other than the first couple of inches maybe and access being a little more mushy but still OK for the next 2-3 days?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:29 PM

I’m hoping to get out with quad for last time this weekend. Hoping the access at Mulhurst is still ok by then. Any reports this week will be appreciated. Good luck to all while it lasts.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:23 PM

I have seen a few trucks out today not sure where they accessed the lake
Old 03-17-2021, 05:54 AM

Access on mulhurst is good for anybody wondering, was out last night and lots of ice for a truck, but she's getting a little rotten in the top layer
Old 03-17-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods boy View Post
Access on mulhurst is good for anybody wondering, was out last night and lots of ice for a truck, but she's getting a little rotten in the top layer
Thanks for the update. Hope ya caught some fish
Old 03-17-2021, 11:37 AM

Noticed the ice friability is increasing my auger was cutting 10" holes at least 10-15% faster and far more prone to corkscrewing the last 4 inches as of Monday March 15th.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:39 PM

Default Ice Quality

How is it looking out there? If a guy wanted to walk on from Mulhurst with a sled tomorrow or tuesday would he have enough Ice to do so?

Cheers

Nick
Old 03-22-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabs24 View Post
How is it looking out there? If a guy wanted to walk on from Mulhurst with a sled tomorrow or tuesday would he have enough Ice to do so?

Cheers

Nick
i seen trucks still driving on this weekend.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabs24 View Post

Cheers

Nick
I’ve been driving my 1/2 ton on still the last few evenings. No issue with getting on at Mulhurst. Hardly anything for snow left so it’s slippery as all hell but still over 24” of ice inside the bay last night and over 30” out deeper on Friday.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:45 PM

Default Thanks

I'm excited to get out there tomorrow evening! Hopefully the bite won't be like it was a month a ago...

Cheers
Nick