Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM

Default Shinny rink closed down, could lakes be next?

The city of edmonton shut down a man's attempt to flood a city pond so his kids could play shinny on it, new year's day for "safety reasons". Whats to stop the province from doing the same thing to our lakes?
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...in-penalty-box
Old 01-06-2016, 10:02 AM

It's a storm water pond. You usually aren't allowed to goon those in winter as the water level may be far below the unsupported ice. The fince and signage might have been a hint.

"Information he gleaned online indicated rinks are permitted on storm-water runoff ponds, she said.

He then spent about $250 buying more than 30 metres of hose so he could flood the makeshift rink and ensure the ice was smooth before a few couples came with their children for a New Year’s Eve party."

Reporter should have asked family to show him or her the "online information". Sounds sketchy. And $250 for 30 metres of hose to use for onetime flooding?????
Old 01-06-2016, 10:28 AM

What a bunch of cry babies. Modifying city property isn't allowed. Go buy an acreage and flood your own lawn.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 AM

I am disappointed with the couple comments on here. Why not allow people on the ponds we are falling more and more into a nanny state and comments such as cry babies and bs is just what is going to wreck our society. Oops already is. Just for you guys that say they are whiners we already are seeing changes to our lakes, aerators not allowed and this. What is to say that they will not eventually close everything due to liabilities. We should be standing together to fight this and promote the outdoors and health/activities that go with winter. No Toboganing, no snow ball fights. All kids want to do now is sit in front of the tv or computer. If the laws of aeration are supported, by rights they could say that drilling a hole on ice or clearing an area for skating or an ice fishing tent could be deemed an unsafe act to cause bodily harm and bam we are shut down. I have lived backed onto these drainage ponds and have flooded and drilled and in the winter there is very little if any fluctuation in water level. Once thaw comes then yes I agree but why can't everything be use at own risk instead of every jack and Jill wanting a free hand out when something they do goes wrong. What are we teaching our kids? We can not use our own judgement and learn form experiences as we are to be hand held for eveything we do? We are seeing it already, common sense is no more, well if we do not let our kids fall and scrape a knee they will never learn to walk. Come on this is getting sad, I for one am tired of all the political correct bs, useless people killing society because they want everything for free and the sheeple that just go along with the ride and before long can't think for themselves. Rant done. Let's stand together to keep the outdoors and activities available for all.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
I am disappointed with the couple comments on here. Why not allow people on the ponds we are falling more and more into a nanny state and comments such as cry babies and bs is just what is going to wreck our society. Oops already is. Just for you guys that say they are whiners we already are seeing changes to our lakes, aerators not allowed and this. What is to say that they will not eventually close everything due to liabilities. We should be standing together to fight this and promote the outdoors and health/activities that go with winter. No Toboganing, no snow ball fights. All kids want to do now is sit in front of the tv or computer. If the laws of aeration are supported, by rights they could say that drilling a hole on ice or clearing an area for skating or an ice fishing tent could be deemed an unsafe act to cause bodily harm and bam we are shut down. I have lived backed onto these drainage ponds and have flooded and drilled and in the winter there is very little if any fluctuation in water level. Once thaw comes then yes I agree but why can't everything be use at own risk instead of every jack and Jill wanting a free hand out when something they do goes wrong. What are we teaching our kids? We can not use our own judgement and learn form experiences as we are to be hand held for eveything we do? We are seeing it already, common sense is no more, well if we do not let our kids fall and scrape a knee they will never learn to walk. Come on this is getting sad, I for one am tired of all the political correct bs, useless people killing society because they want everything for free and the sheeple that just go along with the ride and before long can't think for themselves. Rant done. Let's stand together to keep the outdoors and activities available for all.
Most/all storm drainage ponds are fenced in Lethbridge for a reason. They are not there for recreation! There are plenty of places to play! Sorry that you are disappointed with the other comments, but the other posters have it right.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM

May be down there but the ponds that are being referred to in edmonton are lake like settings, your fence has a gate accessing the body of water. There are no signage in regards to staying off the water body or using the surrounding land. Anyhow, this affects everything regardless of the storm ponds. Read the whole article in regards to backyard ponds being bylaws in certain areas. My main point is why should we continue to allow us to be governed in a nanny state yet people even those that I have read good posts seem to be the very ones that unknowingly or out right ignorance allow this to happen. Unfortunately this site has become a place to bash any and everything instead of supporting and figuring out how we can continue to enjoy the hobbies we do.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 PM

It was fenced, signs were up. They chose to enter. Neighbour thought they knew best probably and called them in. They have a fine for entering an area that they should not have been in.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I get where you are coming from, but answer this... Do you think the couple who wanted to flood a rink on the storm pond would have agreed if the city asked them to sign a document that pledged that the city would be held harmless from any and all lawsuits resulting from anyone falling through that ice, and that they alone would be liable? I highly doubt it. If the ice collapsed the city (read: taxpayers) would be left holding the bag.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 PM

in chesteremere the storm ponds are used for skating and cross country skiing the town does not support the activities but does not shut them down , use at your own risk , if you fell throw a natural lake would the province be responsible, probably not . why would a city take responsibility?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
why would a city take responsibility?
Because they designed the pond knowing that the water level may rise and fall below whatever ice there may be. Now if they truly believe there is zero risk, that's fine, but if they believe there is risk and do nothing to address it, they're going to be found liable. Sort of like how the ACA decided they couldn't risk aerating small lakes and risking conviction or suits. It's why Calgary doesn't allow ice fishing on the Glenmore reservoir.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:48 AM

The city of Edmonton will do anything to gain a buck or two. It would be takeing away revenew from the city rinks. Let them skate ! Gotta pay for all the screw ups the city did over the last year.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
The city of Edmonton will do anything to gain a buck or two. It would be takeing away revenew from the city rinks. Let them skate ! Gotta pay for all the screw ups the city did over the last year.
Which city owned rinks have you been paying at? I don't know of any. Even the City owned indoor rinks don't charge for public skating.

I do believe the city was wrong here though
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM

City of airdrie has a zamboni they drive on streets to do the ice on spots on nose creek...wonder how long that will last..
Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
It was fenced, signs were up. They chose to enter. Neighbour thought they knew best probably and called them in. They have a fine for entering an area that they should not have been in.
The fine was not for entering the fenced off area. It was for "modifying land in a way likely to cause injury." NOT for trespassing. This of course is simply not true IMHO.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
You are so right!!! Really!! really!! come on people next thing you'll do is start bitching about kids vandalizing doing harmful things people are so quick to have judgment it's a god damn skating rink on a pond If someone was to think this was a bad thing to do you should all be ashamed and hang your head in shame. I'm so sick and tired of those bureaucratic bull**** people :