Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Welcome to my hell...trailer wiring

So earlier today I was in a bit of a rush to drop the 5th wheel in storage, set the jacks, pulled ahead 5' and promptly tore the trailer end wiring out of the little junction box mounted on the kingpin (wiring connector got hooked on the bumper as I pulled away).

The junction box has a bunch of wire in it, there was 1 green (assume right signal) and one blue (assume trailer brakes) and rest were either black, red or white (a few of each in various gauges). I just tested the connector harness (the thing that got caught on the bumper and pulled out of the JB) and it doesn't seem to follow regular wiring pattern. For example the center pin energizes the yellow wire in the harness...the only one that seem in the right place are ground (7:00 position, white 12 ga), power (1:00 position, black 12 ga) and trailer brake (5:00 position, blue 14 ga)

Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this mess out. I'm afraid of frying some expensive items.

TIA for all replies.
Zeke
Old 07-07-2019, 04:42 PM

Just don't wire the brakes to the brake light wire. Had one short that way once. Every time the light came on it locked the brakes.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:42 PM

First off Where are you located, you will need 2 people to see which wire goes where, I can help you if your close, Im in the Camrose area
Old 07-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Located in Calgary, got a fairly handy teen daughter that I could draft into this. Trailer is in storage yard right now (scene of the crime) so would need to dream up some way to get it home for testing.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Located in Calgary, got a fairly handy teen daughter that I could draft into this. Trailer is in storage yard right now (scene of the crime) so would need to dream up some way to get it home for testing.
Get a test light, then make a foot long line, with clamps, to connect to you 5th wheel wiring, then get you daughter to tell you which wire does what.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:09 PM

That's what I was thinking but is there any risk of frying things like the solar panel rectifier or the battery charger (or even worse, the control boards for things like the fridge or furnace).
The trail and error method does work, just kinda risky...if there is no other way.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:14 PM

A diagram will help you sort it out

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Question how good is your Google fu?

You should be able to find the wiring diagram online, including the junction box terminations. Print a copy and you should be good. What brand/unit is your 5th wheel?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A diagram will help you sort it out

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Very very excellent post bat119
Old 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM

OK, that helps a lot on the harness side...any guidance on the spaghetti in the JB on the kingpin? Like I said, seems to be a lot of black, white & red, no brown or yellow.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
OK, that helps a lot on the harness side...any guidance on the spaghetti in the JB on the kingpin? Like I said, seems to be a lot of black, white & red, no brown or yellow.
Possibly buy 7 different colour tape to make your job easier
Old 07-07-2019, 05:28 PM

I did some Googling earlier, I can find schematics for how the stereo is wired but nothing on the connector or lighting, aftermarket stuff like the solar panels wouldn't be on any schematic anyways.

The trailer is a Durango by KZ, apparently they went broke a few times ages ago and have come back under the same name. I don't expect much vendor support, so far my search has turned up nothing.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:01 PM

If you know anyone with a power probe it will make this really easy to figure out the wiring
Old 07-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
If you know anyone with a power probe it will make this really easy to figure out the wiring
It's one thing to find someone that uses a power probe...even more awesome if you can find someone that is talented enough to use one..power probe 4 owner/user